10859: Clone Laptop Hard Disk to External Drive

5 replies [Last post]
Jacob Kunz
Beginner

(If there is already a post regarding this, please send me a link. Thanks.)

Hello. I purchased a external SSD drive and I am looking to clone my laptop hard drive to the external drive (and then remove all the content from the laptop hard drive).

"The important point to remember is that you need to put the new drive in the laptop first, and connect the old one via USB."

Is this the only way?

I could probably do the first part as the SSD drive appears to have "internal" connectors, but I can't connect the old one via USB as I am assuming the internal laptop hard drive won't have a USB connector. Also, I don't want to have the external connected to the laptop all the time as it is "external".

Thank you.

Jacob

Brian K
Forum Member

Jacob,

I'm confused. How does the SSD connect to your laptop? Can the drive boot from this connection?

BobInFmy
Beginner

I attempted a disk clone using ATIH 2010 here are the details:
HP Laptop with original 80 gig Seagate HD cloned to WD Scorpio 250 gig...
per instructions here on this forum i performed a "reverse" clone by installing the new WD 250 into the laptop.
I connected the Seagate 80 to an Ultra USB to IDE/SATA connector via USB on the HP Laptop.
I booted the HP from a recently created rescue disk and chose ATIH full.
I used the manual method and asked Acronis to put the original 80 gig partition (source) into a 100 gig partition on the (destination) WD 250.
The program indicated that there would be unallocated space on the new drive of about 132 gig. I assumed I could then partition and format this space after completing the clone.
I did not check the "shut down computer after clone finished" box.

I evaluated the clone setup and proceeded. I left the machine unattended for a period as I guessed it would take an hour or so.
Upon returning I was extremely disappointed to see a "Clone Failed" message.

I am not certain if the computer rebooted after the attempted clone. Would this normally happen?

Upon executing Acronis disk director suite to see the status of either disk, I was horrified to see that the clone procedure has seemingly erased the source disk.

I was not promted with anything like "keep data on original/source drive" and if this is a possible option I would have to believe that it would default to keeping and not erasing the original data.

I have moved the original source drive and it's USB cable to another machine and it, in fact, appears to be empty. How could this possibly happen?

I do have a fairly recent full backup image so this is not catastrophic just inconvenient.

In reading a number of posts here on this forum I can see why many prefer to use the backup/restore image method instead as the source drive would not necessarily be connected during the process.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brian K
Forum Member

Hi Robert,

Forum etiquette suggests you should start your own thread. You must have missed the choice of NOT wiping the source HD.

BobInFmy
Beginner

Thanks Brian. Sorry about not starting new thread. As much as I read many forums, the whole posting / replying process stumps me a little.
I am under the impression that one finds a topic that is similar to an issue and continues on in the same area.

Sometimes I have difficulty understanding the "simple" things :)

Where can I find a good source of info on this?

Thanks

Brian K
Forum Member

Robert,

Don't worry about it. I used to do it too until I learned better. We all did it. Just copy and paste your post into a new thread. You will get better exposure than joining a thread.