11821: How to fix S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Reallocated Sectors Count & Soft Read Error Rate

1 reply [Last post]
JAMES CHA
Beginner

After monitoring, it comes with S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Reallocated Sectors Count & Soft Read Error Rate problem on my disk. I performed Disk Doctor, but it says No error on the disk.
I have Acronis True Home Image 2010 with Plus Pack. Do you have a utility to correct the issues? What other recommendations?

Andrey Moruga
Andrey Moruga's picture
Senior Program Manager

James,
In most cases S.M.A.R.T. simply logs all the problems that happened in the past. For example, reallocated sector count is the number of sectors that have been already reallocated because internal disk firmware detected that reading or writing to them was not reliable, and remapped those sectors to other area on the disk surface.
So S.M.A.R.T. counters typically move only one direction - showing degradation. They simply cannot "reset" themselves back to "ideal"

However, in Drive Monitor it is possible to adjust these counters for particular drive, so reported health would be restored back to 100%. For more details, check out this article: http://kb.acronis.com/content/11417

Andrey Moruga
Senior Program Manager
Acronis, Inc