12880: How to restore F11 system recovery functionality after replacing/reformatting a hard drive...

10 replies [Last post]
Chris B
Beginner

I looked through your forums first to see if this was already answered, but I couldn't find a post that directly addressed this question so I thought I'd create a topic.

I do computer repairs and one of the most common things I see is Customers bringing in their computers where they have a bad hard drive and we have to replace it. The problem is that on many systems (HP's for example) that splash screen that says "F11 System Recovery" still pops up on boot up and many Customers still want the ability to recover their systems on their own after we replace the drive.

Is there a way to use Acronis to create the same recovery options that originally existed on the machine? By this I mean, the user would just have to hit F11 when they see that HP screen and it would start recovering the system?

If so, what would I be required to do? Is there a way to configure what is supposed to happen when a user sees that splash screen on start up? Is that splash screen stored in the motherboard and I need to edit the code that gets executed when someone hits F11? Is there a way to save the Acronis image to another partition and point the HP F11 key (or Toshiba F11 key, Gateway F11 key, etc) to the new Acronis recovery manager?

I'm totally new to Acronis so I'm sorry if these are beginners questions but I'd really like to give our store the ability to perform recovery partition repairs and this seemed like the right place to start.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me here,
Chris

Chris B
Beginner

No ideas at all? :-/

snifferpro
Forum Member

The last time I worked on an HP laptop with a recovery partition,
I did a Full backup and backed up both the OS and the Recovery partition.

When you do a full backup, you have to put a check mark in each
partition you want backed up. If you don't check mark a partition,
it will not be backed up.

I'm using TIH 2010.

ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe, Intel E8500, 8gb memory, 500gb Sata, 128gb SSD

Chris B
Beginner

Thanks for the response, but maybe I'm not explaining the problem properly. I'm wondering what you can do to recreate the F11 functionality after you've already formatted or replaced the hard drive in a machine where it originally had a hard drive with a recovery partition, but it went corrupt or stopped working. You can only copy over the recovery partition if the hard drive is still working/able to access the recovery partition.

Do you know if there's a way to install everything on the new hard drive, get it working just the way you want, then make an image of the new hard drive to a FAT32 partition that you made on the hard drive ahead of time (where recovery partitions are usually stored), and link it to the F11 recovery button that you can press on start up? In other words, get the computer running just the way it was when you originally got it? That's really what I'm after here.

snifferpro
Forum Member

If you are saying that you did not have the recovery partition backed up with
Acronis prior to installing a new drive, then no, Acronis cannot help you recover
it and restore the original functionality.

If it is an HP, I believe that HP has a set of recovery disks that will allow you
to restore the hard drive to its original contents the day you bought the machine.

Once you use those disks and restore your hard drive (both the recovery partition
and the operating system) your machine will look exactly the way it looked
when you bought it. The F11 functionality will be restored.

ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe, Intel E8500, 8gb memory, 500gb Sata, 128gb SSD

JRosenfeld
Forum Member

You would need some way of restoring the MBR to its original state, as that included the functionality of accessing the restore partition. If you just restore the system partition, the MBR is replaced by the standard Windows MBR. That is also why one loses the restore partition functionality if one does a clean reinstall of the OS.

For Dell systems, the problem and method is discussed in

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

but I don't know if there is a similar solution for HP (that uses, I believe, different imaging).

I don't know whether TH 2010 offers the option to also restore the MBR when restoring only the system partition.

Keatah
Forum Member

Sounds like you gotta copy a partition from a working "F11" system of the same type, and put that in the exact same position, where it should go. Then you can rebuild or do whatever to the 2nd partition, the user C drive partition. Then check the boot.ini .. you will also need to see what is required to switch back and forth between the f11 and C partition. That little mystery sometimes lies in the MBR. So you will need to restore that.

However, I can't really get acronis to correctly image a working and fully functional drive correctly, not a drive that has a special "f11" partition, not reliably anyways. Sometimes I can get it to work, but, really I'm trying to develop a procedure that anyone can use, and have 100% confidence in.

TrueImage 2011 does not fit the bill here. I'll be investigating more reliable and straightforward products in the days and weeks ahead.

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Thank you very much for posting and your help.

Chris, I will definitely assist you with this question.

If I am not mistaken, you are looking for a way to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, since this is the component that is activated by the F11 key. Please check the following article for additional detailed information.

In case there is no OS on the new computer, you can use the bootable media to activate ASRM.

Since ASRM is considered a standalone version of Acronis software, you will need to purchase 1 license for each computer on which you will activate it. You can check this link for our licensing policy.

Our Sales team can offer a volume discount, if you like, you can send me your contact details via a private message and I will provide you with their contact information or arrange for them to contact you instead.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

SBMongoos
Regular Poster

LOL.. this is s problem with TIH 2013. I've got an HP laptop that's been great. I've restored the partitions before without issue. So, I don't know if this issue is with v2013 or what. But I just restored within this last week and the partition layout is not the save. I no longer have access to the HP Recovery partition. I see that it is there but I could not recover from it if I wanted to.

Keatah
Forum Member

Yep. We gave up on using this a long time ago. I feel that a disk imager should grab everything. Acronis does not.

This is likely to be my last posting and visit here for a long while.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Keatah,

When users activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, they can lose the original F11 functionality. Restoring it involves editing the boot configuration, and that is a bit beyond my depth. You should check out this thread about F8 cases:
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/6758

Mark Wharton might be able to help you out.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614