13308: Unable to Restore emachine netbook

12 replies [Last post]
Colin Sturgin
Beginner

Having activated Startup Recovery manager, after pressing F11 at startup the acronis restore starts, but after selecting restore and the Acronis Logo appearing in the top left corner. a message appears with four lines with something like"Cannot find volumes" or similar. They appear and disappear very fast. The computor then crashes.
Help!!!!
Colin

Colin Sturgin
Beginner

Having activated Startup Recovery manager, after pressing F11 at startup the acronis restore starts, but after selecting restore and the Acronis Logo appearing in the top left corner. a message appears with one line about reading? and four lines with something like"Cannot find volumes" or similar. They appear and disappear very fast. The computor then crashes. Also the "Caps Lock" led flashes.
Help!!!!

Colin

Alan Briggs
Beginner

If your hardware is faulty then True Image isn't going to help. I would guess that is your problem. Something like "Cannot find volumes" signifies a hard disk error.

Colin Sturgin
Beginner

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your response. In answer, the machine is brand new and the HDD is fine in all respects except with acronis. Your theory doesn't explain why the Caps Lock LED flashes after the system crashes!! I'm surprised that Acronis themselves haven't responded to my problem, because, as a reasonably confident IT manager, I feel they should have some input!
Thanks for your response. Your effort is appreciated.

Colin

Alan Briggs
Beginner

You didn't mention what version of True Image you are using. Could it be a compatibility problem between an old version of True Image and a new version of Windows? Acronis themselves ask that you state exactly what version of their software you are using, so your failure to follow protocol may be inhibiting them from responding.

Edit: Actually I cannot find where Acronis request you state software version number - perhaps that was the old forum? Nonetheless, it has got to be a good idea.

Colin Sturgin
Beginner

Hi Alan,

Thanks again for your response. I am a registered user of the Acronis product so Acronis are fully aware of the software I'm using. My two laptops( Compaq and Dell) and the new emachine are all running XP Home SP2. The laptops work fine when restoring. The emachine does not!
It would appear there is some incompatibly between Acronis and the emachine. Unfortuneately I have been through this same circus before. My alternative, and quickest solution is to Ghost the drive to a clean HDD and in the event of a crash just replace the hard drive. 15 minute job. No hassles. Give Acronis restore a miss!
Thanks for your help Alan. Pity Acronis arn't as interested in my problem.

Regards Colin

Alan Briggs
Beginner

Colin, I don't think Acronis have the capability to make the link between someone who posts on this forum as Colin Sturgin and a registered user of the same name. And a brand new machine running XP SP2 (which is no longer supported, you need SP3)? Where did you get hold of that?

Colin Sturgin
Beginner

I wanted a fix for a problem with a brand new machine not an inquisition on where or when I purchased the Machine. Sufficient to say that being at the other end of the world has it's advantages one being we don't always comply or behave like the rest of the world!!
I will be doing as I said before....that is... GHost the external HDD and in the event of a C drive failure, swap the HDD with the Ghost image with the trashed C drive....Problem fixed. I don't want to be involved with doing Acronis in field Beta testing! Microsoft do enough of that already with there SP's

Thanks again for your interest Alan

Best Regard

Colin

Alan Briggs
Beginner

I'm glad you are covered, Colin. I have the impression that Acronis only pay scant attention to these forums so you are not very likely to get an answer out of them by posting here:

1) Microsoft support for Windows XP running Service Pack 2 ended recently ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/end-support-windows-xp-s... ). You need to update to Service Pack 3 if you want to continue to receive other updates.

2) There are compatibility issues between Windows 7 and all older version of Acronis True Image before the current one. You should not be affected by that UNLESS you downgraded from Vista/7 to XP but kept the new Vista/7 boot process.

3) I cannot believe that there is something strange about Emachines that prevents True Image from working properly. I feel it is more likely to be something else unusual about your particular circumstances, but you don't want to talk about these and you have a solution to your problem that doesn't require True Image so that's all well and good.

Colin Sturgin
Beginner

Hi Alan,

You are right. I have resolved my own problem. I think Acronis watch this forum very carefully and only respond to items that will advantage them ie, using subscribers to de-bug there software amongst other things. Why would you continue to support a product that has no after sales backup. I thought Symantec were bad!!

I have no intention of downloading SP3, in fact, the sooner I feel happy with Linux, MS can go the same way as Acronis. I've even given Apple some consideration :-(

I appreciate your concern about my problem, but life is full of Acronis like problems to be solved and everything can be resolved, given time!!

Thanks again from the Antipodes.

Regards Colin

Thomas Bradford
Beginner

After weeks being given solutions that did not help, I received from Acronis Support:

Acronis True Image Home software is not compatible with Netbooks. For netbooks, Acronis has different software which is Acronis True Image 2010 Home Netbook Edition which is meant for netbooks.

Per:
Abhishant Rai Srivastava
Support Professional
Acronis Customer Central

Colin Sturgin
Beginner

Hi Thomas,

It doesn't work either. Spend your money elsewhere. Do not get sucked into de-bugging for them. Just read some of the articles that Acronis has responded to. It's horrendous. At the end of the day all you want is an image of your precious data to restore in the event of a disaster, not a one way wrestling match with faceless people who are being paid to do something they want you to do for free and then charge them and others for their effort.

GHOST it mate!!

Colin

Alan Briggs
Beginner

This is silly. The only reason you need a special version of TI for netbooks is given in the publicity blurb: "Designed specifically to work on smaller screened Netbook-class systems." So it looks as if even if Colin had got a response from Acronis Technical Support, it could have been equally daft.

A few netbooks have Solid State hard drives; I don't know if those cause TI problems. Otherwise there is nothing magically different about a netbook except, I suppose, that a badly designed window might not be displayed properly.