13854: Details: Failed to read from sector '0' of hard disk '0'.

8 replies [Last post]
Miles Gibson
Beginner

Any ideas why I am getting this error? I have run all of the diagnostics on my Dell workstation, which say that the drive is fine. True Edition 10 worked like a charm, however I can't get True Edition 11 to even work once.

System_C Task is waiting for user interaction.
Description: System State Backup
Information: Failed to read data from the disk.
Details: Failed to read from sector '0' of hard disk '0'.
Failed to read the snapshot manager volume. (0x1000D0) The parameter is incorrect (0xFFF0)

Ideas?

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Is this occurring when running ATI from within Win or from the BootCD? If the latter, it could be, probably is a linux hardware driver issue. If the latter, more likely an install prob, program conflict, or a bug inthe prog that Tech will have to investigate. so answering the first question would be good.

good luck

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Miles Gibson
Beginner

This is Windows 7 Pro x64. The previous version, True Image Home 10 worked perfectly. Now this just sits there and spins. All of the choices on the opening screen react the same way. Given the poor support from Acronis on this issue, do they even give refunds, or should I just kiss my upgrade fee goodbye?

Miles Gibson
Beginner

This is getting richer by the moment. I uninstalled True Image 11 because it was not working. I then rebooted. I installed True Image 10 (why not go with what works eh?). I rebooted again. When I started True Image 10, it asked me for my 64-character serial number. I entered the right one for True Image 10.

Guess what? "The serial number is invalid". I expect that when I installed True Image 11, it invalidated my version 10 key. What a mess this is, and I can't believe what VERY POOR SUPPORT this company has. Is this release strictly a cash grab? Do I need to go make a youtube video to get my point across, and perhaps get some real support.

I also paid $9.95 for a single incident support (which I should not have had to), and the !@#$!@#$ damn software still doesn't work. Not only has Acronis screwed with this very shoddy True Image 11, but now they have double-screwed me by not allowing me to install my paid-for version 10.

What a mess, and what VERY POOR SUPPORT for a VERY POOR PIECE OF SOFTWARE.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I can think of a couple of things that cause this error in Windows.

1. Disk sector problem - run chkdsk /r.

2. Snapman.sys - not registered properly or requires an update.

3. SnapAPI as above.

4. Snapman.sys is in the wrong filters section in registry - though this will often give a BSOD when trying to run TI.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

As this is a Dell with the problem - I wonder if a strange drive geometry or a Dell utility running in the background is causing the problem.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

Miles Gibson
Beginner

I have run chkdsk several times, including a low level hard disk inspection using both Dell and SpinRite. Don't think its the hard drive.
What is snapman and why do I care? Why is it on my hard drive to begin with? No BSOD, it just won't load. True Image 10 was never a problem, but of course installing v11 deactivated my v10 license, so I can't even go back to that.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Snapman is the drive filter that True Image uses to access your drives and create snapshots of your disk for imaging purposes. So you need to care very much as they are the system files that enable True Image to work.

Colin

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Colin, once again, thank you very much for your assistance.

Miles,

I have addressed the issue you are experiencing in your other thread. I will lock this one so that we can keep track of all the issues.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

If you need additional help, please let me know in that thread.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.