14782: TIH 2011 uninstall wiped out my Windows 7 Backup & restore

80 replies [Last post]
Gene Oleynik
Beginner

Because of the issues with the context menus, etc. I decided to uninstall TIH 2011. My context menus returned to normal. Now, however, Windows 7 backup and restore no longer work! It is in my control panel and context menu, but when I click on it, nothing happens. It has been trashed by TIH.

Please advise me how to fix this.

Gene Oleynik
Beginner

OK. I found that even though I uninstalled TIH 2011, it left it's handler in the registry. I corrected it with your registry hack after having to mess with registry permissions, but I really shouldn;t have to have done that.

Ernst-Paul Leonhard
Beginner

I got the same problem, where can I find the registry hack please?

Keith G
Beginner

Look here for the Acronis fix.

Acronis True Image Home 2011: Disabling "Integrate True Image into Windows" Does Not Work
http://kb.acronis.com/content/14741

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I am having the same problem with True Image Home 2011, build 5519. I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. Installing TIH 2011 has completely prevented me from being able to get to the Windows Backup program. It doesn't make any difference if I disable the integration feature or uninstall True Image. I cannot get back to the Windows backup program. I followed the instructions given to me by one of the Acronis technical adivisors. I uninstalled TIH 2011 using the Windows Add/Remove control panel program, then I ran the Acronis Cleanup program. I still could not get the Windows backup to work after uninstalling Acronis and running the cleanup program. I have reinstalled TIH 2011 and am using it to do my backups, but clearly there is a bug in the program that needs to be corrected. The Acronis program has made it impossible for me to get back to Windows backup, even after uninstalling Acronis.

Ernst-Paul Leonhard
Beginner

@Laurence,
got the same problem but solved it. Go to http://kb.acronis.com/content/14741 and follow the instructions given there. For me that worked.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I followed the instructions shown in http://kb.acronis.com/content/14741. Acronis TIH 2011 is no longer integrated with the Windows Backup, but Windows Backup does not launch when I double-click on the Windows Backup program link; nothing happens. Now What do I do? I have not uninstalled Acronis and it seems to be working normally when started from the desktop icon, but it is no longer integrated into Windows.

Kevin Fitzharris
Beginner

I never chose to integrate TIH 2011 with Windows Backup, yet when I went to check Windows Backup and Restore before I uninstalled TIH, there were my Acronis backups listed! I chose the option on that page to revert back to Windows Backup, and the Windows Backup and Restore menus and text reappeared. Now comes the kicker--I thought I was good to uninstall TIH 2011, but after I did, I could no longer get Windows Backup and Restore to function from any of its normal links (like everybody else in this string). Yes I know the 14741 KB article has the Registry hack to correct, but I'd have had to muck with Registry permission settings to do that (logged in as administrator, default Win 7 x64 permissions don't allow changes to values in the KB 14741 instructions). Anyway, I had a System Restore point just prior to installing TIH 2011, so I opted to revert my system back to that point, and everything is now okay. To Acronis, if you make a product that is that invasive with Windows basic features, you had better make darn sure your uninstall returns those features to their original state. I probably won't touch any Acronis TIH product with a ten foot pole after this.

Gene Oleynik
Beginner

Laurence D. Cohen wrote:

I followed the instructions shown in http://kb.acronis.com/content/14741. Acronis TIH 2011 is no longer integrated with the Windows Backup, but Windows Backup does not launch when I double-click on the Windows Backup program link; nothing happens. Now What do I do? I have not uninstalled Acronis and it seems to be working normally when started from the desktop icon, but it is no longer integrated into Windows.

Make sure the Windows backup service is enabled.
right click computer and select manage. Navigate to Services and Applications and select services Scroll down to the "Windows Backup" service and select properties. If it is disabled, then enable it to manual.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I enabled the Windows Backup service and it now shows that the service is started and set to manual. It still does not run.

So, in summary, I've edited the registry according to content article 14741 and that did unintegrate Acronis with Windows, but Windows Backup still did not run. I enabled Windows Backup Service and it is started and set to manual, and Windows Backup still will not start. I'm baffled.

James Cizek
Beginner

So I am also running Win 7 64bit... am logged in as an administrator, and starting regedit as an administrator. It won't let me edit any of the values. That entire key structure is owned by SYSTEM and is readonly to administrators.... What are you guys doing to change the key values? Thanks. -James

Nick Makris
Beginner

Same here, only I have uninstalled ATI 2011 and now I have no backup.................

Help........................

James Cizek
Beginner

Nick, I have 2 things for you to try... 1) you can change the ownership of that part of the hive to include administrators as the owner, then grant "full control" permissions to it. Right click on the subkey directory and "change permission". You can then edit the vaules, then if you want, change it back to being owned by SYSTEM.
2) (I haven't tried this one yet...) Acronis claims in their KB that the latest build doesn't do this, so you might try to download the latest build, install it, then turn around and uninstall it to see if it cleans up that regkey on it's own. This is my second time through trying to repair a computer Acronis software has damaged...
-james

Nick Makris
Beginner

The problem is that the uninstall apparrently wiped out the registry entry in question, so the first option is not an option. Second, before I uninstalled the software (for various reasons), I checked for updates and the version (can't remember the build) was current, earlier today.

Petr Cejka
Beginner

Laurence D. Cohen wrote:

I enabled the Windows Backup service and it now shows that the service is started and set to manual. It still does not run.

So, in summary, I've edited the registry according to content article 14741 and that did unintegrate Acronis with Windows, but Windows Backup still did not run. I enabled Windows Backup Service and it is started and set to manual, and Windows Backup still will not start. I'm baffled.

Still no solution to this problem? I have exactly the same problems as all others with getting Windows backup back to work after uninstalling TIH2011 ;[

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

No solution yet. The problem exists on my desktop computer, but not on my laptop. My desktop runs Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit and my laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium. The Acronis True Image Home 2011, latest build, works just fine on my laptop. I can unintegrate it with Windows and get back to the Windows Backup without any problems. If I check the box in the Acronis help menu to integrate with Windows, then Acronis appears in place of the Windows Backup in the control panel. So the mystery continues. I have been working with an Acronis senior level technical person and we have not yet been successful in identifying the source of the issue. When we do find an answer, I will post it here.

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Thank you for your messages. I will do my best to assist you.

Our Development team is currently working on this issue and as soon as there is any additional information we will post an update for our Forum community. I am very sorry for any inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Tom Roberts
Beginner

Thank you for looking into this. This has been vexing me for more than a week and I've spent considerable hours troubleshooting this problem without success. Very frustrating. Have attempted to uninstall by various methods (including Revo), and in each case the uninstall left the Windows 7 Backup & Restore function inoperable. Because of this I'm currently without protection. Cannot use TIH (30 day trial is up), and cannot use W7 B&R.
A system restore takes me to previous state but doesn't solve the problem. It appears the development team did not fully validate Windows 7-64 compatibility before release. Please advise on how soon we can expect a solution. My installed version is 14.0.5519. Thanks!

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Tom,

The new build is out 6574, it appears to have solved most peoples problems in this regard, but, that doesn't solve the problem AFAICT of having restoring MS Backup if it has gone AWOL with build 5519.

I never had this problem so can only suggest downloading 6574, installing and see if the new settings option works for you.

Note if your copy of 2011 is an upgrade copy, you will need to activate your installation with your previous version SN and your 2011 SN.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Tom Roberts
Beginner

Thank you for the recommendation, however it did not solve the problem.

I installed build 6574 over build 5519. Since my 30 day trial is expired, I cannot use any settings.

I then once more deleted TIH using Revo Uninstaller. Just like before, my MS backup is inoperable.

I then did a system restore to regain the MS backup (and unavoidably the TIH) and I'm back to square one.

I want to get the Acronis software completely off my system without the corruption of MS Backup.

ACRONIS - Please Help!

Tom

Tom Roberts
Beginner

Update: Vikram Singh on the Acronis live help chat line was extremely helpful in steering me to article #14871 which provides instruction to download and run a small utility that quickly and successfully solved this problem. TIH is completely removed and MS Backup is completely restored.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I did install the newest version and it works fine, but it did not correct the issue that was caused by version 5519. I cannot get the Windows Backup to run (the service is running.) and I cannot integrate the Acronis with the Windows Contol Panel.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I finally solved the problem by doing an upgrade reinstall of Windows 7 Professional. I have the latest build of Acronis True Image Home 2011 and I now have no problems integrating it with the Windows Backup Control Panel and reversing the process and restoring the Windows Backup to the control panel.

charles cummings
Beginner

Has there been any solution to this problem?
I've completely uninstalled TIH and still cannot use Windows 7 System Backup.
Very frustrating.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I have not heard about any solution from Acronis. I was able to solve the problem myself by doing an upgrade reinstall of Windows 7 professional. The problem has not reoccurred since I did the reinstall.

charles cummings
Beginner

Yeah, well, I'm not ready to reinstall Windows 7. Did you try the repair option before you reinstall?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Charles,

I encountered the same problem. After an uninstall of build 6597, I couldn't access the Windows 7 backup in the control panel. The link was there, but nothing happened when clicking it. The Win 7 backups were continuing on their schedule, just impossible to get to them.

I tried to reinstall 2011, activate/deactivate the integration, run the registry fix Acronis posted, use the cleanup utility. To no avail.

I ended up restoring an image at a point when I knew I had accessed the Win 7 backup. Since then, I have not had the same issue again. Now I have 6696 installed, and I tested activating and deactivating the integration. I have not tested uninstalling yet.

There is a strong chance that a repair install of Windows 7 will fix this and that process is pretty fast.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Nick Makris
Beginner

Laurence D. Cohen wrote:

This is one of the very reasons I chose to uninstall this software. I had the same problem and the KB article 14741 points you to some registry entries that may not exist (especially for everyone who is still reading this thread). That's the problem - you are not able to find the referenced entries, so you can't make the changes that fix the issue.

I got so fed up with the situation that I demanded to get to someone who knew how to fix it. Well after a long and successful session/conversation, that guy promised he would fix the KB article and guess what, he didn't and he doesn't appear to be with them any longer or his email address has been changed. I was going to post it here, but I tried it and it didn't work. I did not record what he did because he said that he would fix the article and that all would be well - HA!

Just in case you end up going the same route I did, his name is Ankur FWIW and he was/is a supervisor in India.

So in thinking about how to fix this simply with the proper written instructions, I recall that he searched for the registry entries under the names in the KB article, but with out all the beginning folder references. He made the changes remotely so I was watching while the changes were being made.

Hope this helps someone.

charles cummings
Beginner

I ran the registry file in winintegrationfix.zip, and it seems to have done the trick.
I can select backup or restore files. We'll see.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

The upgrade reinstall was nondestructive. It retained my programs and settings without my having to reinstall software. I did try a repair before trying the reinstall. The repair did not correct the problem with Acronis. After doing the upgrade reinstall of windows, I reinstalled the Acronis software and everything worked just fine after that.

Lodewijk Langeweg
Beginner

I just nu-installed the trial version of TIH 11, and now the Windows 7 Backup hyperlink is dead.

I saw the above link to the "solution" -installing an Acronis update- which is useful to those who still have Acronis installed and want to keep it.

I used TIH 10 for 5 years. The manual was useless to me -a pc beginner then- but through some trial and error found out how to make complete and incremental backups with it. I was very happy to use it, and it saved me lots of time, since before I had it I sometimes resorted to reformatting the internal hard disk with the Wondows xp OS CD that came with the laptop, after I -or software- had made a mess of things, and I didn't know how to undo it. It would take me days to get everything back as it was before. But with Acronis it would only take 15 minutes.

I realize that with the Windows 7 backup feature I cannot make a backup on a secure zone on the internal hard drive as I used to do with Acronis. But that's OK, I have an external drive now.

Could anyone tell me please how I can get Windows 7 backup system to work again?

Nick Makris
Beginner

You haven't said what you have tried - there's quite a bit of meat above. If all else fails, call like I did (see above) and demand to speak to someone who can help you.

Lodewijk Langeweg
Beginner

@Nick Makris,

Thank you.

I set my laptop back to a System Restore point which said "Acronis uninstalled."   

Problem solved: Windows 7 Backup works fine now.

PS:

Oops, it did not uninstall Acronis, as it undid the uninstall instead. No wonder the Backup program works again...

Grant
Beginner

Anton,

This has been going on for six months and NO solution to the problem. Today I thought I would try out Windows 7 backup otions and so I started by removing Acronis(which prior I was able to get to the win7 backup menu). After uninstalling and rebooting I now can no longer open the backup and restore section. Like many others on this forum. I tried changing the registry but I can an error(attached). I noticed that before the reboot the registry was set exactly like winintegrationfix.zip but after the uninstall and reboot is shows "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\acronis_backup_cpl.dll".

So it appears that I should change that to %SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll so that Win7 would use it's own backup but again I cannot make the change because resources are being used.

Six months for a solution is shameful. What is Acronis changing in the registry during an uninstall? Why can't you guys have a solution by now? You have now lost another Customer. Microsoft wins again.

Anton wrote:

Hello all,

Thank you for your messages. I will do my best to assist you.

Our Development team is currently working on this issue and as soon as there is any additional information we will post an update for our Forum community. I am very sorry for any inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

AttachmentSize
capture.jpg 25.41 KB
Grant
Beginner

Here is another thing, looking at the permissions on that registry location shows that on trustedinstaller has full read/writes to that location. I cannot change that either?

Come on Acronis, your product works well but this sure isn't helping you.

AttachmentSize
capture.jpg 41.01 KB
Grant
Beginner

Oh, one last thing. Yes this procedure( http://kb.acronis.com/content/14741 ) works if you want to leave Acronis installed.

Grant
Beginner

*****NEWS ALERT******

Problem Solved for EVERYONE!!!!!! Or at least I am sure that many of you will find that you can fix the problem. Again it is a shame that Acronis didn't resolve this sooner.

You have to go to the registry and go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]. The problem is that Acronis took ownership of this location keeping you from updating the key. Follow the steps below and it will allow you to make the required changes.

( taking ownership ) I went to that key and successfully took ownership...
1. Click on key and select properties.
2. click on "advanced"
3. select "owner tab"
4. change "System" or "Trusted Installer" to yourself "Name Administrator Blah Blah" Click Apply... OK
5 Back at original "permissions screen"... click on the name you just selected and "tick off the check box" to give yourself "full control" Sometimes it even appears "Grayed out"... you can still check it off.
6.That should do the trick
7. Now change the ResourceDLL to "%SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll"
8. Finally change the ResourceID to "14".

Questions let me know.

-G

Lodewijk Langeweg
Beginner

This was a useless post in view of the new situation for me. So I deleted it.
See below.

Lodewijk Langeweg
Beginner

My apologies, I was mistaken assuming that ATIH 11 trial version was gone after doing a System Restore to a restore point which said "Acronis removed." It only undid the removal. 

I uninstalled it again a few moments ago, and again the hyperlink on Windows 7's Backup interface for making backups with its default program is inactive -dead!

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Lodewijk,

Have you tried the solution offered by Grant in post #36?

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Lodewijk Langeweg
Beginner

Hi Collin B,
Thanks for responding.

I deleted the previous long text of this post, as it is not useful anymore. To make a long story short, see below:

Lodewijk Langeweg
Beginner

I had started a thread called "Acronis True Image Home 11 Trial version WARNING!": http://forum.acronis.com/forum/19146
and there thomasjk gave a link to the Acronis Cleanup Utility: http://kb.acronis.com/content/14871
I downloaded/installed it, opened it, let it run, and every time it asked something I simply typed a "y" -without quotation marks- and pressed enter.

Interesting that it reported having found Acronis True Image Home 11 on my laptop, even though I did not see it anymore either in my Windows software list or RevoUninstaller's list...

Anyway, now after the reboot I have Windows 7's Backup & Restore working again in its default setting. Without ATIH 11 I trust. : D

I better remove the previously made WindowsSystemImage from my external hard drive, and replace it with a new one... ; )

Acronis True Image Home 11 sure is useful for those of us who want to have their backups on their internal hard disk -and perhaps for other reasons as well, like storing the backups on the remote server option Acronis offers, and some other things as well I am not familiar with- but for my basic needs I am satisfied with the W. 7 default backup program.

Different strokes for different folks...

Robert Wagner
Beginner

I have found as well that uninstalling True Image Home 2011 leaves my Windows backup function completely disabled. I tried reinstalling and then enabling Windows backup from within the program. But after uninstalling again the problem re-emerged. I now have NO access to the Windows bacup or disk imaging utilities.

PLEASE FIX THIS AND THEN NOTIFY ME!!!!!!!!!!

Grant
Beginner

This should help after you uninstall. I believe that the uninstall process is broken but again Acronis has done nothing to resolve the issue. I have just moved to Windows backup.

You have to go to the registry and go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]. The problem is that Acronis took ownership of this location keeping you from updating the key. Follow the steps below and it will allow you to make the required changes.
( taking ownership ) I went to that key and successfully took ownership...
1. Click on key and select properties.
2. click on "advanced"
3. select "owner tab"
4. change "System" or "Trusted Installer" to yourself "Name Administrator Blah Blah" Click Apply... OK
5 Back at original "permissions screen"... click on the name you just selected and "tick off the check box" to give yourself "full control" Sometimes it even appears "Grayed out"... you can still check it off.
6.That should do the trick
7. Now change the ResourceDLL to "%SystemRoot%\System32\sdcpl.dll"
8. Finally change the ResourceID to "14".

Questions let me know.

Laurence D. Cohen
Beginner

I was never able to determine the cause of the problem, but I got everything to work fine, both the Acronis software and the Windows backup software, after uninstalling the Acronis software then doing a nondestructive reinstall of my Windows 7 system, Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, then reinstalled the Acronis software. I now have the Acronis software working fine and I can use the Windows Backup if I choose. Also, I can integrate the Acronis software with the Windows Backup control panel item and unintegrate it as well. So, everthing works as it should.

Brian Robinson
Beginner

Grant - THAT DID IT! Thanks for your registry tweak, why doesn't Acronis acknowledge your fix? And why doesn't the uninstallation process restore permissions to "Administrator"? I am rarely stumped by these problems so THANKS!

Grant
Beginner

The problem is that Acronis takes ownership of the registry key listed above. For some reason during the uninstall it doesn't revert it back correctly so it still shows Acronis as the backup utility yet the program is now uninstalled. If you had reinstalled the program you would have had both options available, but then this really didn't fix the problem just a work around.

Brian,

I don't know why they haven't addressed this issue other than they don't have a fix. We use acronis for imaging systems and that is about it now. We also use there utility to backup systems over the network to our servers for Instrument stations. But I will no longer use the home version because of the Windows backup problem and the fact that the incrementals didn't work correctly. They never dropped old backups like it was suppose to so this is the reason I stopped using it to begin with. Other than this problems, it has worked well for us for system imaging purposes.

Robert Wagner
Beginner

Grant,

I finally decided to bite the bullet and try this. The changes to the ResourceDLL and ResourceID seem to have been accepted, but it makes no difference. Any idea what might have gone wrong?

Grant
Beginner

Did you make the changes with Amin credintials and did you verify that all of the locations show correct ownership?

RJ
Beginner

I've used Grant's registry tweak on a couple different PC's and it always worked.Make sure the value of the Resource DLL is typed exactly as it's written and make sure the Resource ID is 14 "Hexadecimal",Restart the pc.

Robert Wagner
Beginner

Grant and RJ,

I tried it again and this time it worked. I think I must have entered the ResourceID as a decimal number rather than hexadecimal.

Many many thanks for the fix!