18192: "Operation Paused" error message

8 replies [Last post]
Mike Blaszczak
Beginner

I use Acronis True Image Home 2010. Sometimes, I discover my machine has a popup over the Acronis icon in the task bar that says this:

Operation Paused

05:21:11: Specify location of the volume 2

If you do not make a decision, the current operation will be automatically canceled in 10 minutes.

If I close the window, it reappears. If I click on it, nothing happens. The obvious grammar error is in the window, and not a problem with my transcription. That's a bug, of course.

But I'm trying to figure out what it is I need to do in order to have my backup job continue to completion. Which volume is "volume 2" ? How do I specify its location in this UI?

Mike Blaszczak
Beginner

Oops.

Yana
Forum Star

Hello Mike!

Thank you for finding time to report about the issue on Forum, we really appreciate it. I understand your concern, and will be glad to assist you.

Unfortunately due to the lack of sufficient diagnostic information it's hard to say for sure what caused the problem. Usually it happens when the connection to the target location is faulty. So if you're using USB connection, I'd suggest you to choose another port and replug the drive there.

Should the problem reoccur, please gather Acronis Info and contact support directly with the information attached. Keep in mind that should there be any procrastination with the reply, you can always specify us the case number. We will do our best to speed up the process.

Should you need anything else or have any further questions - feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience, we will be happy to help you!

Thank you!

Mike Blaszczak
Beginner

Thank you for your note, Yana.

I agree; the program provides too little diagnostic information with the error in order to take action. I can't figure out what the error means, and on top of it, the bug which doesn't let me make a choice or continue, as the message prompts, makes investigating the matter frustrating.

I'm not using USB for any devices involved in this backup.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mike, You may also see this message if you have a chain of incremental/differential and this chain has been compromised either by user action (moving/deleting a TIB file) or other file system error.

Sometimes, pointing ATI to one of the previous TIB files in the chain will make it happy and the process will go on.

1. If yes, then your backup can continue. Run a validation to verify.
  2. If not, or a validation doesn't go through, try to restore from the recovery CD to see if you could recover from/with your backup (for example use a test disk, or select a single file if it is a file backup)
  • If you can recover, your backup is good.
  • If you cannot recover, your backup is lost. You have to start a new one.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Mike Blaszczak
Beginner

I'm not doing incremental or differential backups in this job.

The bugs I'm reporting in Acronis True Image seem to be ignored here.

One bug is that I can't make any sense of the error message. What is "volume 2"? Volume 2 of what? Your post, Pat, implies that the error refers to the location of the destination media. But why would my destination be split among multiple volumes? Is it the source volume? Why wouldn't Acronis True Image mention a logical drive letter, then?

Another bug is that I can't dismiss the message. Closing the pop-up that appears over the task bar just causes the message to re-appear a few seconds later. If I start Acronis True Image, I'll get a message box that says "Warning" in the title, and offers "Specify location of the volume 2." (Yes, this is correctly transcribed. Terrible grammar is a defect that is pervasive throughout the Acronis products.) It says that I should "Click Browse to specify volume location, Retry to try again, or click Cancel." Again this is correctly transcribed; the grammatical error is in the product itself.

If I click "Browse", I'm offered a standard Windows file open dialog box. But I don't know what to specify here because of the first bug; is the issue that Acronis can't find a source device, or a desitnation file?

If I click "Retry", the window reappears.

If I click "Cancel", the window reappears as well.

In order to get rid of the UI, I have to restart my machine. Killing the TrueImage.EXE and TrueImageMonitor.EXE processes helps, but starting Acronis True Image again brings up the "Warning" prompt with the same behavior.

How do I work around these issues? How do I get the attention of the Acronis staff to report these bugs? How do I fix my backup jobs so my data and work product are not at risk?

Mike Blaszczak
Beginner

Yana wrote:

Should the problem reoccur, please gather Acronis Info and contact support directly with the information attached. Keep in mind that should there be any procrastination with the reply, you can always specify us the case number. We will do our best to speed up the process.

The article you link about running Acronis Info to collect information doesn't work. The article says that "(!) You can always execute immediate report generation by pressing CTRL-F7 in Acronis True Image Home 2010."

When I press CTRL-F7, I get a window that says "Generating report, please wait...", then Acronis True Image crashes.

How do I proceed? My original issue is unsolved, and my bug reports have gone unacknowledged.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

This type of message refers to destination files, not a source file. In my experience, volume "2"was the second incremental backup. This type of message refers to destination files, not a source file. But again, the message can appear if the expected "volume" is an archive file that is simply missing or cannot be accessed (hence Yana suggestion to try another USB port, or check the target disk, etc.).

Although the UI suggests you can remedy the situation (browse), it is not always possible.

The fact that this problem occurs only from time to time suggests there is a connection issue with the disk. It might a power saving issue that puts the disk to sleep, a flaky connector, a cable that is not plugged correctly, a problem with the disk...

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

To generate a report, you can try
1. Restart the TI install program and some have a report creation option.

or
2. Boot from the Rescue CD and it has a report option either on the main selection menu or from the help menu--upper right.