19389: ATI 2010 Image restoration fails with AHCI

3 replies [Last post]
sam0t
Beginner

Hello,

Came across odd problem with ATI 2010 image restoration. After restoring a system image with Acronis Trueimage Home 2010 (version 7160) to my OCZ Vertex 2 64GB (Firmware 1.24) SSD drive the system hangs during POST when the system is detecting AHCI devices.

I can get past this problem by disconnecting the SSD drive, changing my motherboard's SATA controller mode to ATA and restoring the image again. After image restoration in ATA mode I can change the controller back to AHCI and the system boots normally. It does not matter if I am using the ATI 2010 from Windows 7 64-Bit or through the Rescue CD.

The weirdest thing is that I have been restoring images with ATI 2010 to the very same drive for the past 6 months without no problems!

I contacted Gigabyte support about this and they could duplicate my problem in their lab. Below their reply to me:

--
We have tested the 2010 version on two other models of motherboards, and got the same problems in AHCI mode with “normal” Samsung hdd.
We have also tested with an other program called Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011.
This is working in AHCI mode.
--

sam0t
Beginner

I guess Acronis has no interest in fixing anything but their latest products?

Gregory B.
Forum Member

> SSD drive the system hangs during POST when the system is detecting AHCI devices.

I had the same problem symptoms, except with an Asus Motherboard and an Intel SSD drive. In the fullness of time, I was also able to reproduce the problem with a mechanical (non-SSD) drive as well.

As best as I can tell, it is possible for TI restore to write some partition information that will hang the BIOS boot process when AHCI (but not IDE) mode is selected (with certain setups).

In my case at least, running a backup from a running Windows 7 environment and restoring from the Plus-Pack CD seemed to bring out the problem.

I reported this to Acronis, and after many months they said they were unable to reproduce the problem. I eventually upgraded my motherboard and (so far) the problem hasn't recurred. (Although I don't do nearly as many restores as I used to....).

At any rate, I feel your pain.

-Greg

sam0t
Beginner

Thanks Gregory for the confirmation, it proves that indeed the issue is real and after all Gigabyte support was able to reproduce this problem in their lab too.

It is inconvenience to turn the SATA controller to IDE everytime I restore an image, but luckily that does not happen on daily basis, more like couple times a month at max. For me it seems no different if I restore the image from Windows or from the recovery CD.

The baffling thing with this is that I had been resoring images on the SSD for long period of time, would say about 6 months and multiple times. So what happened now? As in my mind I did no changes to the ATI 2010 software or to the OS except install few softwares and the normal Windows updates. Pretty weird stuff if you ask me.