21136: How to restore computer that won't boot.

8 replies [Last post]
John E
Forum Member

Running windows 7 32 bit, Ultimate (upgraded from Windows 7 Professional).

When I boot up my computer, it hangs at the windows logo, until eventually it BSODs with a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" error, if I allow it to boot normally. If I click on start up repair, it gives me the error below.

I tried going and running in Safe Mode but it hangs on a system driver file.

I plugged in the drive to another machine as a USB drive and can see that all my data is there, intact.

How can I try to resolve this?

I do have a non stop backup as well as a regular backup as of a couple days ago. Since I cannot boot the machine, I am wondering how I would go about:
- restoring the necessary files
- and determining which system files need to be restored

I thought about creating a Windows 7 recovery CD/DVD, but since I installed Windows & Profssional from a USB stick, then went to SP1, then upgraded to Ultimate, I am unsure how to create a recovery disk. And if I did, could I repair the Windows install without mesing up any current settings or program installations?

====================================================================
Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click next
3. Click "repair your computer."

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

John,

It looks like your registry has been corrupted.

If you have a full non-stop backup, boot your computer on the ACronis Recovery CD and start the restore, preferably from a disk and partition backup, not from a file backup. YOu will need to restore the entire c:\ partition.
Your non-stop backup will be useless unless it is a partition-mode type of NSB introduced with ATI 2011.

If you don't have a recovery CD, you can download the ISO from your ACronis account after having registered your copy of ACronis.

If this doesn't work, you should reinstall windows. A reinstallation is painless with Windows 7 and might just be faster than a restore. You will lose your windows settings but not much more.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

John E
Forum Member

Hi Pat -

Thanks so much for your response... couple questions:

- Is it better to restore from a non-stop backup or the full backup?
- I remember using the partition type because I put in the exceptions manually.
- Can I create a recovery CD from within the Acronis product?

- And maybe more important, why would I need to restore the entire C Drive if it's just a registry issue? Couldn't I do something less intense? I mean, I am sure you are right, but am curious.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Listen, NSN should work like a regular disk and partition when in partition mode. I have had personally issues when restoring from a non-stop backup, but never from a full-disk regular disk and partition backup.
It is much easier to get rid of older backup versions with a regular disk and partition backup (although auto-cleaning options don't work very well for a disk and partition backup in ATI 2011, the option to keep a certain number of versions work as it should).
Finally, regular disk and partition backup supports more backup media than NSB.

Here is my advise: if you use NSB, make sure you keep a regular disk image that is not too old for you to go back to in case your NSB restore doesn't work to your expectations. Backup redundancy is good, even better across different backup media.

Yes you can create a recovery CD, DVD or flash drive within the Acronis Product (create recovery media from the upper section of your backup list).

I am not sure this is a registry issue. The physical support of the registry is split in various physical files. We don't know which section could be at fault. Plus the registry is often updated by the system and the applications. So you might not get a workable system with only a registry restore.

On my system I have separated the system partition from the content files. Very easy to do with Win7 as you can relocate all your user files and libraries eveny easier than with Vista or XP. This means anytime I have the slightest system issue, I restore the entire system... It takes me 10mn.

Reinstalling windows is pretty painless with Win7.

John E
Forum Member

I usually have a NSB backup running once ever couple days, and a regular backup about a week. If the restore goes smoothly, I shouldn't have to do too much work to go that route.

So, I will try to do a repair once I can figure out how to make a repair disc in Win 7 considering I installed 7 Professional and later installed SP1 and upgraded to Ultimate (outside the scope of this forum).

Will keep fingers crossed.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Use whatever Win 7 installation you have, the pro or the ultimate upgrade. YOu will have to reinstall SP1 and the upgrade if you start from Pro.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

In fact, if you don't have the Ultimate upgrade DVD, it will be faster to do a restore I guess.

John E
Forum Member

One last question, and I really feel bad because you have given me so much great info already.
is it better to restore from a backup if I start with a clean drive and use the ISO image... or coudl i start with a brand new install of Windows 7 and perform the restore of the system, C; and data drives?

If I do the latter, I am assuming things might not go as I want, right?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you restore a disk and partition backup, and restore the entire disk or selected partitions, the disk or partition you will restore to will be completely erased.
You can start a restore of a disk and partition backup from the recovery CD and select only certain files and folders: you can use this to restore data files.

If you reinstall windows first, you cannot use a disk and partition backup to restore your previous windows or programs files and folders. Data files can be restored as described above.