21282: Partial restore from disc image

2 replies [Last post]
Nancy Hargesheimer
Beginner

After recovery from some really bad trojans, root kit, etc., I want to reinstall Windows on my computer as it is missing some items here and there. I have a full image backup by True Image Home 2011. I know I can restore just folders and files, but can I also restore the programs and not Windows. I want to wipe the drive, reinstall Windows and then use my Acronis backup to reinstall the programs, folders and files. Is this possible? I have read the instructions, but have not found anything addressing the programs. I have used an image backup several times on new drives where I wanted a complete image on the blank drive, but have not used a partial restore.

Nan

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

You can't restore programs separately - during installation they register themselves in Windows and it's not enough to restore just "program files/some_application" after you reinstall Windows.

Nancy Hargesheimer
Beginner

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. I will have to search a lot more for some of the software to install some of these programs and then use Acronis to restore my files, etc. Not looking forward to that.
Also, we have ordered a new computer for my husband and will have to do the same thing on his. It is a breeze to do a total restore on a clean drive.
Nan