21622: Acronis boot disk does not recognize Western Digital hard drive

8 replies [Last post]
Brad Masters
Beginner

Hello!

I currently have a trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2011. I have purchased a Western Digital hard drive to replace the current Fujitsu hard drive in my laptop (a size issue).

I have made an Acronis boot disk, and indeed the laptop does boot from the boot disk. But the True Image software then prompts the screen that is does not recognize the hard drive.

I would like to use the sister- Western Digital/ Acronis cloning package. However, since the "new" drive is the Western Digital and is not installed while trying to load the Western Digital/Acronis cloning package; the cloning package will not load (no Western Digital hard drive found). :(

Can someone help determine what kind of Acronis boot package I need so that it will recognize the Western Digital hard drive? I would appreciate it.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Brad,

If you have a USB disk big enough to backup your current disk, create an all-partition backup of your current disk onto the USB, exchange the old disk for the new one, and then restore your image on your new image. It is a clean approach that doesn't put your data at risk.

If ATI doesn't see the hard drive when it is installed, you have a driver issue and you need to contact Acronis Support.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Brad Masters
Beginner

Pat L wrote:

Brad,

If you have a USB disk big enough to backup your current disk, create an all-partition backup of your current disk onto the USB, exchange the old disk for the new one, and then restore your image on your new image. It is a clean approach that doesn't put your data at risk.

If ATI doesn't see the hard drive when it is installed, you have a driver issue and you need to contact Acronis Support.

Wow! What a quick response. Thank you very much. I have done everything you mention, up until the last line. :D I think there is a driver issue on the Acronis boot disk that will not recognize the hard drive. Can you please guide me how to contact Acronis Support? I was a bit under the impression that folks here represented Acronis Support, and might guide me towards an appropriate boot disk.

Again, thank you in advance for your assistance.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The forum is mostly about users. Sometimes an Acronis employee drops in on a thread, but there is no Service Level Agreement.

Contact Acronis through the chat window on Acronis.com, that's the fastest way.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Tim Hendricks
Beginner

I have a toshiba c850-bt3n11. i tried to load acronis from the disk and it would not load, so i went online and registered and did the download. now when i right click and tell it to back up. acronis pops up and says hard drive not recognized. I also can't find the acronis icon any where on my machine?

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Is this when running the Windows application of True Image, or the ATI bootable Rescue Media?

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Tim Hendricks
Beginner

It is in windows. It is a new computer and I am just trying to image it. When I right click and tell it to back up acronis say it doesn't recognize the hard drive

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Can you access the hard drive with other Windows apps (e.g. Windows Explorer, NotePad, etc.)?

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Tim Hendricks
Beginner

Yes