22113: Bootable media: USB FDD vs USB HDD?

4 replies [Last post]
nousndthem
Beginner

I created 1 USB bootable flash drive a while back but have been unable to duplicate the structure of it.
It shows as a USB FDD and has an option to boot to "Windows" at the bottom.

Every attempt at recreating has resulted in USB HDD and no "Windows" option, and also the HDD version is not recognizing large external USB drives. Both flash drives are formated FAT.

Both Have the same programs on them. ti 2010 full, ti 2010 safe version, DD 11.
I've tried both "Linux-like..." and "Windows-like..." but both result in the same issues.
A) full and safe version won't see a 500GB external.
B) no boot to "Windows" option at the bottom of the list.

Is it possible that these options were part of the media builder included with dd 10 and upgrading to dd 11 removed them?

Can someone please tell me how to get it to be FDD and also show the "Windows" boot option? I think the FDD is what is making it be able to see the large external drive.

The contents of the flash drives is shown below and they are obviously different.
The one that works for me is on the left. The newer, on the right.

http://www.sightsea.com/renders/acronis.jpg

Thank you!

AttachmentSize
acronis.jpg121.55 KB
nousndthem
Beginner

More info.: It's True Image Home 2010

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The "boot to Windows" option normally only shows when using the TI CD. It sounds like it does also from USB FDD. The problem is that this option can't be used if the booting device is detected as a hard drive because the hard drive order will then be incorrect for Windows (this affects some versions of Windows more than others).

You would need to get the flash drive formmatted as a floppy again (FDD) or try selecting that option in the BIOS. Note that most current computers don't use the "USB ###" type options (FDD, HDD, ZIP, etc.). Instead, they recongize the flash drive as a hard drive device.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

nousndthem
Beginner

thanks MudCrab.

Yes. I see that same behavior with the latest TI CD, and it will recognize the external drive.

But what do you think about the obvious difference in the files on the drives? ( see the link to the image )
I think that's where the real difference is,
since the flash drives are of the exact same model number Sandisk and were formatted in exactly the same way.
CMD > format X:

nousndthem
Beginner

Update and Solved:
After much screwing around I've RE discovered the method I originally and accidentally used to create what I consider the
ULTIMATE bootable ti 2010 USB stick which is seen as FDD and not HDD.