23449: Not sure how to make disk/partition image from disks in a RAID0

12 replies [Last post]
Tom Cipollone
Forum Member

Hi all,

This should be fairly simple. I have two 1 Terabyte drives connected in a RAID 0. I would think that I would need a single 2 Terabyte drive to do a "clone" or disk image. Is that correct or would I need 2, 1 Terabyte drives to do it?

Thank You
Tom

Endurance
Regular Poster

This depends how you setup your discs you could also use 3x 1TB as RAID5 or 4x 1TB as RAID6 or.... ;)

Imaging:
If you ask for an image, the space you need is only depending on the size of the resulting image. This is dependig on the amount of source data and how it can be compressed.

Cloning (if done on OS level):
What so you want to do? being able to replace a disc it case one of you is failing? This will not work with a RAID0.
If you want to replace the RAID0 by new disc(s) then you can use 1x 2TB disc (no raid) or 2x 1TB as RAID0 again.

Tom Cipollone
Forum Member

Thank You, Endurance, for the reply.

I think that you have answered my question but let me be sure.

You asked if I wanted to be able to replace a single disc in case one of them failed. The answer is no.

What I am doing is adding a linux partition. I have done this a lot in the past (I am in my 50's) and I know that there are ways to get in trouble with the MBR, grub, etc. What I want to do is to be able to replace the whole image (two discs in a RAID0) if I get into trouble and can no longer boot off of the original image because the MBR gets messed up and can not be fixed (been there ;-( ).

I think that you are saying that I have the following options:

1) Format 1 2TB disc (of course, not in a RAID) and then do a clone of my image from the RAID0. In this case, if my original image, on two 1 TB discs gets corrupted, you seem to be saying that I can re-clone the two 1 TB discs in a RAID0 from the single 2 TB disc image.

2) Format 2 1TB discs in a RAID0. Then clone the original image to those discs. This seems to be the easiest solution.

Have I got it right?

Thank you for your help.

Tom

Endurance
Regular Poster

Tom Cipollone wrote:

1) Format 1 2TB disc (of course, not in a RAID) and then do a clone of my image from the RAID0. In this case, if my original image, on two 1 TB discs gets corrupted, you seem to be saying that I can re-clone the two 1 TB discs in a RAID0 from the single 2 TB disc image.

2) Format 2 1TB discs in a RAID0. Then clone the original image to those discs. This seems to be the easiest solution.

Have I got it right?

Yes (but I have never tried). One additional question: are you using a hardware raid (like an addiotnal controller or at least a motherboard chipset based one)? If so the above should work. It would be good to try before you rely on the procedure. ;)

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Endurance is asking a key question:
- ATI doesn't support software RAIDs, but I am pretty sure yours is hardware,
- key test for ATI is to boot on the recovery CD to make sure it sees your RAID0 as a single volume, if yes, you are in good shape,
- you shouldn't do a clone. Just do a full disk and partition image. This will include the same information as a clone, but the result will be a TIB file that will be smaller than the occupied space on your RAID. You can store this TIB file anywhere you want.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Tom Cipollone
Forum Member

Endurance, thank you for all of the help.

One thing is not working. I put in a 2T drive and tried to use the CLone Wizard. At step #2, after I chose a source disk, it just says "processing" with the little clock thingy going. So far, it has been doing this for 3 hours. I don't really now what it is doing nor how long this stage should take.

Thank You
Tom

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The cloning is best done through the recovery CD. Boot the computer on it and do the cloning that way.

Tom Cipollone
Forum Member

Hi this is an emergency! I made a acronis bootable disk and then use it to make a clone of my system to a removable drive. when I try to boot my system I get MBR error. nothing that I have been able to do has fixed the problem. I tried loadingacronis os selector from the bootable disk but it asks me for my acronis registration number which I have but it does not recognize. please help.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Tom,

A clone is not the best way to go in your case. You should do a disk and partition backup and restore the image.

Which disk are you trying to boot on? The source or the clone?

To fix the MBR problem you have first to make sure that only one disk is in the computer (either the source or the clone). You have to use your Windows installation DVD. See there: http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/ for XP and Vista, see there for VIsta and Win 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Tom Cipollone
Forum Member

Hi Endurance,

I broke down and paid Acronic the $10 for single item tech support. They had the answer right away. Acronis True Home does not support any kind of RAID. However, I proved, and tech support agreed, that this is not documented anywhere in the help or knowledge base. Knowledge base item # 17540 does say that only a basic type of disk can be cloned but I was looking for RAID in the knowledge base and did not see this. So, I am now rebuilding my computer :-( , tough luck for me.

Thank you again for all of your help.
Tom

Tom Cipollone
Forum Member

Hi Pat,

I broke down and paid Acronis the $10 for single item tech support. They had the answer right away. Acronis True Home does not support any kind of RAID for cloning an image. However, I proved, and tech support agreed, that this is not documented anywhere in the help or knowledge base. Knowledge base item # 17540 does say that only a basic type of disk can be cloned but I was looking for RAID in the knowledge base and did not see this. So, I am now rebuilding my computer :-( , tough luck for me. The drive information was totally lost and no program that I have tried (replacing the MBR, Bootmgr, etc) has helped. I had to load Win7 on another drive and run off of that. Too bad, so sad.

Thank you again for all of your help.
Tom

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Tom,

There is an important nuance. When you form a RAID 0 in software, you get a dynamic GPT disk that Acronis doesn't support, except with the Plus Pack, and never for cloning.

If your RAID is hardware with basic disks, then you can clone. http://kb.acronis.com/content/11681 and http://kb.acronis.com/content/17540

This is why I was telling you to try your operation from the recovery CD. The recovery CD can only see hardware RAIDs (and not necessarily all of them), and cannot support GPT disks (unless you have the Plus Pack).

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

Quote:
Acronis True Home does not support any kind of RAID for cloning an image.

You didn't tell if your RAID is hardware (configured in BIOS) or software (as a set of dynamic disks in Windows) but http://kb.acronis.com/content/11681 :
Quote:

Acronis True Image Home supports hardware RAID arrays of all the popular types both with and without the Plus Pack add-on, in any case.

In the case of hardware RAID, if the disk is the boot one and the system is not UEFI, it means that it is basic MBR disk and it is supported for clone operations like any other basic MBR disk.

tags: a feature is absent