23504: Recovery From True Image Partition Backups - Restore to new of existing RAID 0 system.

3 replies [Last post]
Leo smith
Beginner

Hi,

I am new to Acronis. I am able to backup partitons but when I tried restoring them to a new HDD I could only restore a single partition to the HDD as it seems to not create a new partition. The HDD was 4TB RAID 0. Am I doing something wrong or is this how it works?

Is it possible for a restore which creates the partitions which were backed up as whole. For example, if I backup drive "C" and "D" but do not backup "E", the system should create partitions C and D on the HDD as an image and I can the create if I want to? For example, the Windows 7 backup does this but I am now using RAID 0 and had problems restoring from a Windows Backup so been using Acronis.

Also, if I wasnt restoring to a new HDD I am guessing any restore I do I would just rstore to the relevant partition which would hopefully be the same or larger size?

Thanks

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Acronis doesn't support software RAID 0, but supports hardware RAID 0. If you can set up your RAID in the BIOS, it is hardware; if you set it up in Windows disk management or through other software, it is software.

Acronis doesn't support GPT disks unless your have the Plus Pack. Since you have a 4TB disk, it is GPT.
http://kb.acronis.com/content/6533

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Leo smith
Beginner

Hi,

The RAID is setup at the "hardware level" i.e. in the BIOS.

Could someone answer the questions in my initial message? Key question is how can I backup my partitions and restore them on a new Raid 0 (blank HDD) or an existing Raid 0 system (where the partitions already exist). I have had problems doing this to a new raid system so have had to do a clone (in progress, fingers crossed it works) but I need to know that I can backup my system once cloned.

Thanks

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The key is whether the recovery CD sees your RAID 0 as a single volume or not.

If yes, then you can backup your RAID 0 and restore to a new RAID 0 on the same computer.

Again, verify that your disk is a basic MBR, not GPT, disk in Windows disk management, otherwise ATI won't be able to manage without the Plus Pack.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614