23577: Clone issue Cloned disk will not boot

10 replies [Last post]
Don
Beginner

Build 6868

Moving to larger HDD
System 7 on C: Drive (the smaller disk)
XP on E: Drive (as I dual boot)

Large disk - I tried ATI in Windows to Clone C: and also ATI CD Boot and clone from the CD. to the Large Drive. No luck --

NTLDR message comes up. Hmmmm....

I can reboot off the original C Drive after disconnecting the Large Drive.

Nigel8600
Beginner

??
I cloned a WD Velociraptor 300GB with no problems to a WD Black caviar 1TB
I cloned a seagate 2.5 to a WD scorpio black2.5 no problems
I cloned the WD scorpio black 2.5 to a crucial M4 256GB SSD no problems either, I even got perfect alignment.

Dumb question, did you change the bios settings to the cloned disk?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Don,

As Nigel suggested check your BIOS settings, but it looks like the active partition is not found or it is missing boot files.
To do the cloning, it is best to put the new disk where the source is currently, and put the source in an external enclosure. Then boot the computer on the Acronis recovery CD and do the cloning from there.

Choosing the manual cloning method will allow to set the resizing for each partition instead of letting ATI resize each partition proportionally.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Dan Jantzen
Beginner

Last June I cloned my Toshiba laptop HD with Win XP on C: partition and data on the D: partition to two separate USB hard drives of approximately the same size, using the automatic clone settings in True Image Home 2009. I've done this before and the cloned drives always worked fine and booted right up. Now I wanted to go back to the system as it was in June, so I cloned with TIH 2009 from one of those USB drives back onto my original drive. But the original drive now does not boot--the bios starts, then the screen goes dead and nothing runs. So then I tried physically replacing the original HD in the laptop with the other cloned USB HD (it is a SATA drive and fits right in), and it does exactly the same thing--no boot after the bios runs for a few seconds. The drive I'm trying to boot from has the correct C: and D: partitions, of the correct size, and appear to be identical clones. Why won't it boot.

So now that laptop won't run at all, and I'm stuck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I would guess the the C: partition is not marked active.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Two things to check. Do not have the usb attached when bootiing.

At beginning of boot, manually go into the bios setup and make sure the internal disk is the chosen boot device and is the only disk attached..

Dan Jantzen
Beginner

How do I mark the C: partition "active"? Perhaps that is a dumb question, but is there a utility in True Image Home 2009 that lets me do that?

Dan

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Dan,

I am assuming that C: was the active partition on the original disk. You can verify this by right clicking on My Computer, Manage, storage, disk manager.

To make a partition active you need to boot the computer on a Windows recovery or installation CD and launch a command prompt, then:
- DISKPART
- LIST DISK (this will list all the disks on the computer)
- SELECT DISK X (where X is the number of the disk where the active partition was)
- LIST PARTITION (this will list all the partitions on the DISK X)
- SELECT PARTITION Y (where Y is the number of the active partition)
- ACTIVE
- EXIT

Reboot

If this doesn't solve the issue, boot on the Windows recovery or installation CD, and fix the startup. This might take a couple of passes with a reboot in between.

Dan Jantzen
Beginner

I tried using a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD to boot and set the C: drive to "active", and although I was able to navigate through the directories and files, I didn't find anything like DISKPART or LIST DISK. Since this didn't seem to be working, I booted up again with a Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Personal CD I've had for a long time and never use because I like Acronis better. The Paragon CD boots up and gives me a set of utiities. When it analyzes the hard drive that should contain C: and D: it shows Volume as *: for each partition, and what should be the C: drive is shown as active and D is not active--for both partitions the type is Primary, file system NTFS, what should be C has a volume label as "local disc" and what should be D has "no label", and both partitions are not hidden. So this makes me think my problem is not to set C: as the active drive (it is already) but rather to set the two partitions to C: and D: instead of *:
Paragon has a command Partition/Mount which seems to allow you to set the drive letter, and I tried setting the two partitions to C: and D: using the Partition/Mount command. But this doesn't work either--it won't boot into WinXP after I've changed the setting, and if I shut down, reboot, and re-examine the drive using Paragon again, the two partitions are both back to being *: again. So evidently the Partition/Mount command is not permanently setting the partitions to be C: and D:.

Any suggestions on how I can set the two partitions to be C: and D:, and hopefully get this laptop to boot. Or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Dan

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

DISKPART would allow you to give a drive letter to a partition.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(WS.10).aspx

DISKPART is a utility included in the Windows installation DVD. If you don't have it, you should be able to use a partitioning utility (like EASUS, or Disk Director) to make changes.

Assuming you are on the right track and it doesn't work, you would have to use a Windows installation DVD to fix the startup anyway.

Dan Jantzen
Beginner

I used the WinXP backup disk that came with the computer to get DiskPart running, and then explored around to try to figure out how to assign drive letters. But DiskPart was already showing C: and D: drives, so I didn't find a way to change anything. But when I exited diskpart and tried again to boot, as if by magic it took off and booted just fine. So I don't know what I did to make it work, but its working and that's the main thing.

Thanks for all you assistance,
Dan