23743: Acronis True Image Home 11 can't see new hard drive

18 replies [Last post]
marc
Beginner

Disaster finally struck and I am struggling, hoping to find help here.

Hard drive crashed. Fortunately I had backed up (full backup) with ATI 11 onto an external hard drive. I have installed a new internal Seagate 500GB hard drive to replace the one that crashed. I am able to boot and load ATI 11 from my rescue disk. ATI 11 sees my backup information, but it does not see my new internal hard drive. I would like to completely restore the old drive to the new drive. What do I need to do? My version of ATI 11 was downloaded in January 2008.

Many thanks for your help,
Marc

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Marc,

I'm not too sure that v11 can see 500GB drives and this might be where the problem lies. Is the old drive usable at all?

Did you make a complete disk/partition image or a files and folders backup?

Does the image validate?

*edit*
You might want to transfer this thread to the True Image Home forum where more people will see it. To transfer, just edit your post, and from the drop down box to the top left of the comment box you can select TIH Forum, click and select save and the complete thread will be transferred.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

marc
Beginner

When I backed up to the external drive I made a complete disk image. I'm not sure what you mean by "does the image validate."

The new internal drive appears in my BIOS.

I have removed the old drive, as it was becoming very unstable.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

What build of TI 11 are you using?

I think your problem is the version of Linux used has a driver problem.

If you put the new drive in a USB caddy can TIH see it then via the USB driver?

Is the new drive Sata and the old one IDE?

Does your BIOS have a legacy option - it might be worth enabling legacy mode and see if the drive suddenly becomes available within TIH.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

marc
Beginner

Colin, thanks for ideas. My TI 11 build is 8,053, downloaded in January 2008.

Both the crashed hard drive (now removed) and the new hard drive are SATA, plugged into the same plug on the motherboard. I do not have a USB caddy for the drive. I don't yet fully understand what BIOS legacy option is. Perhaps moot point, given the crashed drive was SATA and recognised by True Image.

Do you still believe that this is a driver problem caused by an old version of True Image? It can't handle the new Seagate 500GB drive? How do we confirm this before I decide to upgrade? And would an upgrade handle my old saved image?

Many thanks,
Marc

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Marc,

You could simply download the trial of 2011, install it and create a recovery CD with it, and try that recovery CD.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

feivel
Forum Member

i dont know anything about this issue really, but did you format the new drive?
if not the bios will recognize it but the os may not.

marc
Beginner

I have not formatted the new drive. It's my understanding that this is not necessary...that True Image handles this during image restoration. I may be completely wrong on this. Am I? Do I need to format the drive before doing a full image restoration to a new drive?

Thanks,
Marc

feivel
Forum Member

ill let the experts answer that but why dont you go ahead and format it, i bet thats the problem.
recently i installed a new drive, i went to windows explorer and it didnt show up in my list of drives.
formatted it in partition manager, then it showed up

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

TI should see the drive even if it's not formatted, though formatting it shouldn't hurt anything. TI will delete any existing partitions when it restores the drive image.

The latest build of TI 11 is 8,101. You could download it (or the ISO) and see if it works any better. It shouldn't have a problem with a 500GB drive.

Have you tried the Safe Media version of TI 11? If so, does it see the drive?

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Another option you might try would be to use the "Add DisK' option on the TI Recovery CD.

marc
Beginner

It appears the concensus is that this is a driver issue due to an old version of True Image Home. Grover, I wish it were as simple as your idea but......I tried it. Guess what.....Acronis only lets you add a drive if you have two installed!!! How ridiculous.

I have learned that an upgrade from Home 11 to Home 2011 now costs only $17.99, so let's try an upgrade. If this works, I would say it's worth the price, but I didn't expect this hassle. Will this plan work? Since of course my PC is kaput, I will pay for and download the upgrade onto my wife's PC. Then I will make a rescue disk which I will use on my PC. Potential problems.....my wife has Acronis on her PC (we both have paid for our own downloads), same version as mine. Will this interfere with my plan? I want to end up with an upgrade on my PC, not hers. Perhaps this is not possible. Can I use a rescue disk made on a another PC to rescue my PC, whether for my wife or myself? If we both want to pay for an upgrade, what do we do?

Thank you for anwers to this Catch 22,
Marc

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Once you buy the upgrade you can download the ISO file from your Acronis account. You can create a CD from that (use any ISO capable burning program) without needing to install TI. This way it won't disrupt the existing installation. The TI CD will be the same regardless of the computer used to create it.

If you do plan to install the newer version, make a backup of the system first so you can easily revert to the current setup. Note that if you do plan to install the newer version, you could use the trial version and find out if it works before purchasing it.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

marc
Beginner

Mud Crab, thanks for ideas. OK, I could download the ISO to my wife's PC, then make a CD without installing it. But don't I need to creat a rescue CD to use on my PC? Can I create a rescue CD without installing the program on her PC? Please clarify for me what disk I need to create on my wife's PC to use in my PC to restore it.

Many thanks,
Marc

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The ISO file you download is a CD "image" file. You just need to burn that to a CD using an ISO capable burning program and you'll have the CD. This KB article may be helpful. Windows 7 includes built-in ISO burning capabilities. You can easily use a Windows 7 computer if you have access to one.

The CD created will be the same no matter what computer is used to create it. You don't have to create the CD on your computer to use it on your computer.

MudCrab's Website

marc
Beginner

Finally, success. I spent the $17.99 to upgrade to ATI Home 2011. I still wasn't sure how I was going to handle the issue of using another PC, so I took advantage of the free chat support. The rep kindly offered to email me a link to download an ISO recovery file, so that I could do the upgrade download later, if and when I got back to my own PC. I burned the ISO file to a CD, it booted on my own PC, and the program recognised my new hard drive. My backed up image was restored to my new drive beautifully. Whew!

The only bugaboo was plugging the external usb drive into my pc at the appropriate time, so that it can be recognised....apparently this is still an issue. See thread number 8689 for a post by Robert Harvey on exactly how to do it--thanks Robert.

Thanks to all who offered advice. The moral of the story......don't let your version get too stale. Drivers go out of date and you're stuck. Better to spend the $$ to upgrade every year or so.

Marc

Jim Chernikeeff
Beginner

I stuck the "Not found any hard drives" problem today.

System: Windows 7 x64 bit - 500 Gig Drive - Gigabyte H61M-USB3 M/Brd - 4 Gig Ram - on board graphics system loaded fine.

I always store image backups of a fresh system as it makes recovery a lot easier and smoother; but this time I could not complete the task using Acronis 11 and Acronis 2010 (the latter updated to the current version using TrueImage2010.7160_s_en.exe ) I also created the latest Recovery Bootable CD using the latest TrueImage2010_s_en.iso

On attempting to create a backup image, using all methods, Acronis Reported that no drives were found.

I tried everything but was able to finally write an image by using the Boot Disk created from the ISO file (above) but it would only work if the system drive was removed from the SATA connection and set up as a USB drive! So we have the source and the destination image drive hooked up as USB drives. An image was created but it took forever and as I've struck problems with images set-up as USB drives I decided to look into it a bit further (reasonably safe as I did have a viable image in case things went wrong).

Here is wahat I did and it worked:

I set up the 2 drives (source and destination) connected as SATA drives to the Motherboard.
I went to the CMOS and changed the BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI.
Using the Recovery CD I booted and saw the drives normally. I created an image of the souce and switched off.

To make sure: I restored the image to a fresh dive of the same size as the original to ensure that the image created would work.
I then reset the BIOS from AHCI to IDE and booted up from the newly restored drive... It worked.

Suspect that there is something odd about the SATA interface in IDE mode making it incompatible with Acronis - or it could be that the new drives being manufactured have a compatibility problem with Acronis (latter case is less likely)

Warning: do not try and boot in AHCI mode as this will not work - your BIOS needs to be in IDE mode when you boot your system drive. I suspect if you set up in AHCI mode and load the system in this mode Acronis woulld see the drives... but then what about my destination drive which was set up in IDE mode...

All too strange. All too difficult. All too messy. All too painfull.... I'll be looking for an new imaging program but who knows the guys at Acronis might just keep me as a client if they resolve this issue. Lets hear from you...

Also: if you are in RAID mode take care the above could easily break your RAID

Jim

Jim Chernikeeff
Beginner

System: Windows 7 x64 bit - 500 Gig Drive - Gigabyte H61M-USB3 M/Brd - 4 Gig Ram - on board graphics system loaded fine.

I always store image backups of a fresh system as it makes recovery a lot easier and smoother; but this time I could not complete the task using Acronis 11 and Acronis 2010 (the latter updated to the current version using TrueImage2010.7160_s_en.exe ) I also created the latest Recovery Bootable CD using the latest TrueImage2010_s_en.iso

On attempting to create a backup image, using all methods, Acronis Reported that no drives were found.

I tried everything but was able to finally write an image by using the Boot Disk created from the ISO file (above) but it would only work if the system drive was removed from the SATA connection and set up as a USB drive! So we have the source and the destination image drive hooked up as USB drives. An image was created but it took forever and as I've struck problems with images set-up as USB drives I decided to look into it a bit further (reasonably safe as I did have a viable image in case things went wrong).

I set up the 2 drives (source and destination) connected as SATA drives to the Motherboard.
Using the Recovery CD I booted and saw the drives normally. I created an image of the souce and switched off.

To make sure: I restored the image to a fresh dive of the same size as the original to ensure that the image created would work.
I then reset the BIOS from AHCI to IDE and booted up from the newly restored drive... It worked.

Suspect that there is something odd about the SATA interface in IDE mode making it incompatible with Acronis - or it could be that the new drives being manufactured have a compatibility problem with Acronis (latter case is less likely)

Warning: do not try and boot in AHCI mode as this will not work - your BIOS needs to be in IDE mode when you boot your system drive. I suspect if you set up in AHCI mode and load the system in this mode Acronis woulld see the drives... but then what about my destination drive which was set up in IDE mode...

All too strange. All too difficult. All too messy. All too painfull.... I'll be looking for an new imaging program but who knows the guys at Acronis might just keep me as a client if they resolve this issue. Lets hear from you...

Jim

Jim Chernikeeff
Beginner

Jim