23856: What is the function of the Safe Media add on?

10 replies [Last post]
Brian B
Forum Member

I cannot easily determine what the purpose of the Safe Media add on that is available with BartPE. Can someone explain what Safe Media does since it is an option.
Thanks

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The SAFE media is an option to run a DOS version of ATI directly with BIOS drivers. This typically resolves some hardware issues but limits the breadth of hardware that can be supported (depending on your BIOS).

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Brian B
Forum Member

Thanks Pat, but I am still confused. When you make a CD from the ISO download you get the full version. When you use Rescue Media Builder you get an option for a full version and a safe version. That is without having installed the safe media add on. So you already get a safe version without the add on. So what does the add on do and who needs it?
Should I recreate the Rescue Media?
I seem to run quite happily when I use the full version from a bootable disk without having safe media installed.
To further add to my confusion I asked Customer support on a chat session. Their answer was that safe media was only needed with BartPE which cannot be correct because the safe media add on installs 5 or 6 files in the TIH directory.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The SAFE & BartPE plugins are included in the installation.
These 2 plug-ins are bundled together because they are free, but they are not linked to one another.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/17972

Brian B
Forum Member

I still don't understand what Safe Media adds as you can build a safe version from the standard product without the add on.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I am not sure I understand. The plug-in is included in the installation. You can re-download it or download a more recent version, if any, from your account. You can do that without having to reinstall ATI entirely.

Brian B
Forum Member

Are you saying that the safe media files are included in the basic TIH installation and that the add on you can download is just a duplicate? All I know is that when I do the install of the Safe Media add on, 5 or 6 files are added to the TIH home directory. So it adds something that is not there with the basic installation and I'm trying to understand what features those additional files give you when you install the add on and why Acronis offers it as an option and whether I should be using it or not.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

OK. The plug-ins are on the installation CD. ATI's default installation installs some BartPE components. I don't know exactly what files are added to that pre-installation of BartPE when you install the BartPE plugin, but it does add some new files in the case of SAFE.

Once SAFE is installed, when you create a new recovery CD, you will have the option to add ATI SAFE version to the list of options to run from the CD (regular Linux ATI, system report, ...).

Brian B
Forum Member

I appreciate all the help and prompt responses, but I think we might have to let it go. It still does not make sense to me.
Here the sequence.

1. I upgraded to 2011 but it crashed continuously. I unininstalled completely. Downloaded TIH 2010 V7106 and installed from the download (no installation CD).
2. Clicked on Bootable Rescue Media Builder and built a bootable CD with both full and safe options. It booted fine and worked fine both in full mode and safe mode.
3. Downloaded optional plug ins. Installed both.
4. Ran Bootable Rescue Media Builder again and built a second CD after Safe Media install with both safe and full modes again.
5. The 2 CD's are absolutely identical. Same files with identical sizes and same boot options.

So I still don't see what Safe Media add on adds to the product.

Thanks again
Brian

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Brian,

The 7106 build of TI 2010 does not include the SafeMedia version in the standard installer. I suspect that it may have still been on the computer from a previous installation. Media Builder is designed to "find" other installed versions of the Acronis programs.

Several versions back Acronis removed the SafeMedia (Safe Mode) version from the standard installer to make the download of the main program smaller.

The SafeMedia (Safe Mode) version is DOS-based and uses the BIOS to access the drives. It's an alternative if the Linux-based (regular full version) version doesn't work correctly on the computer. Most people don't need (or want) to use it. USB drive access is usually very slow (if it works at all) in this mode, for example.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Brian B
Forum Member

OK, that makes sense now. DOS vs Linux although now that I comprehend it is not likely I need the DOS version as you point out although the media builder does not offer the option on my PC.
FYI though. I had used the Acronis Clean Uninstall so no previous version existed.
Thanks for all your help in making me (and I hope others) 'get it'
Brian