23859: Cloned drive is not bootable

5 replies [Last post]
Martin Evans
Beginner

I have Acronis True Image Home 2011 installed on my Windows XP desktop. I took the hard drive out of my IBM laptop and installed it as a E: drive in the desktop, then took a new SSD drive and installed it as F:. I ran Clone Disk to copy the old laptop HDD contents to the new SSD. Both are about 70GB in size. The disk copies apparently perfectly, no errors, all files visible, but the new drive will not boot when I install it in the laptop.

The old one still does. I tried this with 2 different laptop HDD's, and 2 different SSD's. Any ideas why the new cloned disk is not bootable?

I am lost - I admit it!!! Many thanks for any help you can give,

Martin.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Because it is an IBM which has special disk geometry, before cloning, you need to put the new blank disk inside the IBM--same place and connectors as the original disk.

You can put the old IBM source disk in an alternate location.

Perform the clone when booted from the TI Bootable medial Recovery CD.

After clone, shutdown and reboot with nothing attached to the IBM.

Another safer method would be to do a full disk backup and then restore the backup onto the new disk. Still done from the CD and the target must be inside the IBM before the restore.

Martin Evans
Beginner

Thanks, GroverH - I'll give that a go. I really appreciate your fast, expert response!

Martin.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Martin,

As you have already used the new disk once, suggest you use the TI Add disk option and delete the partitions from the failed clone. You might find some interesting reading in my index below. Check on the item 3-CC inside the index.

Martin Evans
Beginner

Hey - your solution worked perfectly! I used the TI boot CD to backup to a portable USB drive, then restored it to the new disk. I did it for our music laptop (SSD the same size as the original), and my old laptop (SSD smaller than the original). Worked perfectly both times, with no errors, and no hiccups. I can't thank you enough for your quick and expert help - many, many thanks!!

Martin.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

It's always nice to hear the success stories. Thank you for posting the results.