23874: When to recover the MBR and Track 0 ?

2 replies [Last post]
Bruce
Bruce's picture
Regular Poster

Using True Image 2011 Home, build 6868 on Windows 7 Professional I have successfully recovered an image on two occasions. Absolutely no problems occurred. I do have a question however regarding the need to recover the MBR and Track 0. As I recall, but I could be wrong, versions prior to 2010 included the MBR and Track 0 by default. This is not true in version 2011. My question is this:

Given:

1. Currently two backup tasks are created in Windows. Both use the Single Version Scheme. One is scheduled and the other is run manually as desired. The scheduled task updates an internal SATA II drive. The manual task updates a SATA II drive via a USB 3.0 connection using a StarTech.com PEXUSB3S2 PCIe add-on card. Both run flawlessly. The USB 3.0 connection is somewhat slower but the difference is really insignificant.

2. All drives, including the C:\ drive are single partition with the exception of the Windows hidden System Reserved partition.

3. None of the included utilities have ever been used and I don't see where these will be used in the future. I would prefer to see these as user selectable options when the application is installed.

The Objective:

1. Determine when is it advised/necessary to recover the MBR and Track 0?

2. The recovery destination may be the existing C:\ drive or might be a new C:\ drive perhaps a larger size.

3. The recovery method will be using a DVD created from the bootable media ISO downloaded from the Acronis web site.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bruce

Bruce Mahnke
Amateur Radio K0EHN
Windows 7, SP1 Professional, 64-bit
True Image Home 2013, build 5551 (U.S. English)

Seekforever
Frequent Poster

You may need to restore the MBR on a new disk but I'm not 100% certain of this since I've seen posts that indicated TI will put in a basic MBR. You don't need to restore it if you are just restoring a partition and the orginal MBR is not damaged. Users that have the greatest requirement to restore the MBR are those that have a modified MBR for a multiple-boot system or perhaps on a laptop that has the facility to boot into a recovery/diagnostic partition.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Seekforever is correct. Another aspect is the following. If you select *all* partitions within a backup *and* the MBR+track0, it is as if you selected the entire disk, and the disk will be restored as it is in the backup regardless of the existing partitions on the disk you restore to. Imagine that you backup 2 partitions, create a third one, restore your backup. Your new partition is gone.
If however, you restore each partition individually, and then the MBR+Track0, it would not be the same outcome. You could restore your first 2 partitions independently of the third new one.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614