24164: How-to convert Acronis Backup into virtual disk

11 replies [Last post]
Hemal Shah
Beginner

I have purchased Acronis Acronis True Image Home 2011 with Acronis True Image Home 2011 Plus Pack recently.

Can someone guide me how i can convert acronis backup into virtual disk that i can be used by vmware workstation.

All help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Hemal

Rajan
Forum Member

I dont think it is possible to convert the Acronis backup image to a virtual machine. However you can restore the image to a physical partition and then convert using import feature in VMWare Workstation or by using VMWare VCenter Converter (free to download but requires registration)

RayG
Frequent Poster

Hi Hemel

It is possible to do this

Oou first have to convert the backup into a VHD using the tools and utilities convert acronis to windows backup.

Then you have to use that VHD as the boot disk for VMware

The way I did that was to create an appropriate windows environment as a blank (i.e. no windows installed) VMWare machine, then I edited the files VMWare created to point at the VHD file created above. When this is done you should be able to boot windows in VMWare

I hope that helps.

As an alternative you can use the VHD Directly as a boot disk using VirtualBox from Oracle - this you can create a virtual machine using an existing disk without jumping through as many hoops.

--
Regards

RayG

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ray,

How do you edit these files exactly?

Thanks

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Hemal Shah
Beginner

Thanks all. I will try and update..

In that case what is the use of Acronis True Image Home 2011 Plus Pack ? I paid $$ extra for this and was under impression that this pack has ability to do this...pls advice.

Thanks,

RayG
Frequent Poster

Hi Pat L

When you create the "Blank" VMWare installation by selecting the "I will install later" option you are left with these files in the machines directory:

25/08/2011 10:27 5,308,416 Windows 7 x64 New.vmdk
25/08/2011 10:27 0 Windows 7 x64 New.vmsd
25/08/2011 10:27 1,464 Windows 7 x64 New.vmx
25/08/2011 10:27 Windows 7 x64 New.vmx.lck
25/08/2011 10:27 272 Windows 7 x64 New.vmxf

In the Windows 7 x64 New.vmx file you will find lines like:

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows 7 x64 New.vmdk"

If your VHD image is happy with AHCI working you can leave the "scsi" part otherwise change it to "ide" then copy in to the machine you just created the VHD file created by Acronis and change the "Windows 7 x64 New.vmdk" to point at the full name including the .vhd of the file you just copied in.

Then you can start the VMWare machine.

Now one word of warning it may take two go's to get this to run as all the drivers will be incorrect and the video may not work first time around and VMWare MAY need to be killed off using task manager but the second time it should start up OK - at least that is what happens to me.

When it has started log in with admin privs and wait for all the device drivers to be installed. Then reboot, then install the VMWare tools. You can then clone the Machine if required and all should be good to go from here on in.

Let me know if you need more info.

edit: I have attached some screenshots on creating the new VMWare machine and a blank machine to get started with.

AttachmentSize
vmware.zip 342.11 KB

--
Regards

RayG

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Hemel,

TIH2012 by itself can convert the tib image to a VHD one (Acronis backup conversion under the Tools and Utilities tab). From there you can use Windows Disk Manager to attach it to Windows (which just gives access to the files) or can be attached to Windows Virtual PC directly which becomes a VM or using the VMWare converter provided by VMWare assign the VHD file to a Virtual Machine.

I don't use VMWare so you'll have to follow RayG's advice, but it certainly works for VirtualBox which I use.

The plus pack gives you acces to:

Dynamic Disks, Making a WinPE rescue disk (needs WAIK installed), Restoring to dissimilar bare metal machines.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

pjl
Beginner

I purchased ATIH 2012 specifically so I could create a .tib & virtualize [p2v] it using vCenter Converter. What a surprise that this vmware converter[v4.3.0] no longer supports this version of the .tib Testing now to see if I can load the .tib into hyper-v as alternative. These work-arounds, while they may finessed to work, are too wonky for my taste. I wanted a clean p2v solution without spending a small fortune.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

pJL,

Why not just use TIH to convert the tib to VHD and then allow vmware to convert?

There is the new vmProtect but that only works with the full versions of VMWare (not the free versions).

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

pjl
Beginner

I did convert to .vhd & am presently loading into hyper-v as alternative - will know in a few hours.

.VHD is not a format vmware tools will convert from -- I am working w/the latest vmware Workstation & vCenter Converter Standalone. Looks like there are a few apps that cover this gap - StarWind V2V & WinImage. Surely there are more.

Sarwar Usman
Beginner

I have converted .tib file to .vhd and changed the *.vmx file seetings as you mentioned above. attach image is the error i get. I also have to change the connection from ide to scsi to load the image. any suggestions ?

Thanks

AttachmentSize
error.jpg 353.67 KB
RayG
Frequent Poster

@Sawar

Did you remember to change the disk in VirtualBox to the right controller Stop 0x0000007B?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Says that it is due to an inaccessible boot device...

--
Regards

RayG