24167: TIH 2012 Activation on Multiboot System

6 replies [Last post]
Richard Virtue
Richard Virtue's picture
Regular Poster

For my own dev/testing purposes, I have several Windows operating systems (XP, Vista, Win7x64) installed on a single machine. The TIH 2012 licence says that it covers one machine, but does it require multiple licences for "activation" under more than one OS on the same machine?

Richard Smith
Beginner

I would like to know the answer to this also. I never use the cd restore disk because it doesn't load all the drivers that are loaded with the opereating system and TIH. I always boot from another os on the same computer to restore the os on my work computer. I always thought that this was in the license since that is what I was told in ver 11.

Rajan
Forum Member

It has been answered here:

Quote:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/24161#comment-74088

If you install a new OS on the same computer, that also will be considered as a new computer, and here is the same rules applies. You just need to move the licence.

Move the license.... or buy another :)

Marc Paulin
Regular Poster

What does "move the license" mean? Is there some procedure to follow in order to do this?

Rajan
Forum Member

Marc Paulin wrote:

What does "move the license" mean? Is there some procedure to follow in order to do this?

Acronis True Image Home 2012: Assigning Installation to Another Machine

http://kb.acronis.com/content/22154

Richard Virtue
Richard Virtue's picture
Regular Poster

All of the OSes are already installed on my multiboot machine. So it's not a question of installing a "new" OS. And the license information currently posted by Acronis says that it's one "perpetual" license for "one physical machine". (That's a verbatim quote.) It makes no mention at all about a being limited to a single operating systems on a single physical machine. That would be a brand new restriction that has never applied in the past. In fact, Acronis itself provides some alternative booting capabilities, albeit limited ones.

Looks like just one more reason for loyal Customers like me to "jump ship" to a more farsighted and less greedy company. In any case, I have emailed a request for an "official" answer from Acronis themselves and will post it here if I get one.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The activation matches your PC name to an install. Therefore each OS is indeed counted as one machine the same as using virtual machines.

What could be done is install in your main OS and then perform partition backups of the other OS's.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever