9 replies [Last post]
raduray
Beginner

I'm upgrading from TI Home 10 which was running on XP Pro
Upgraded my PC to Windows 7 64-bit.
Just paid $29 and downloaded the TIH 2012 application and the product key
Install asks for new (upgrade) product key and and the old product key
Entered the TIH 2012 upgrade product key that was just sent
Entered the old TIH 10 product key (note that it is much shorter then new key)
The "Next" button remains greyed out - I can't continue install.

BTW, if it makes any difference, the v10 version key is an update key from v6. I also tried the v6 key, but to no avail.

Help!

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

raduray,

Create a backup of your system with your current working version of ATI (maybe from the CD if your failed upgrade screwed it up in Windows).
Uninstall your old version in Windows. Reboot. If you cannot uninstall it, you might have to restore an older backup so that you can uninstall properly.

Reboot. Install the 2012 upgrade (it will ask for the previous serial number and the new one).

If this doesn't work, you will have to contact acronis support, I am afraid. There is probably something wrong in the registry...

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

Upgrade key will not are not supposed to work - you need to enter the full key, i.e. the v6 key. But upgrade key of previous version, e.g. 2011 upgrade, work. In a meanwhile you can get a trial key and install it with it. And +1 for contacting the support.

Bob D
Forum Member

dev-anon, what are you saying?

Is it that for an upgrade qualification to install ATIH 2012 you can use ATIH 2011 any version (upgrade or full) but for earlier versions they must be full versions?

Do you have a link for this information?

Bob
Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 x86, Win 8.1 Pro x64 x86, Acronis TIH 2014 build 6614, Acronis Drive Monitor
Victoria, Australia

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

Btw, officially - http://kb.acronis.com/content/24146

Quote:
Is it that for an upgrade qualification to install ATIH 2012 you can use ATIH 2011 any version (upgrade or full) but for earlier versions they must be full versions

I expected the upgrade key to require a full key of any previous version. Full keys of before version 2009 are not accepted *on the installation* page due to said bug, so the workaround with a trial key and activating later works. However, upgrade keys of previous versions (e.g. 2009 upgrade) are accepted as a key of previous version, I don't think it is what was expected, because in this way you can, having 2009 full and 2010 upgrade, 2011 upgrade , 2012 upgrade keys (upgrading you installation each year), install a 2010 on one computer and 2012 on another, not using any of the keys twice.

Bob D
Forum Member

dev-anon, thanks for the info

Bob
Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 x86, Win 8.1 Pro x64 x86, Acronis TIH 2014 build 6614, Acronis Drive Monitor
Victoria, Australia

Thomas Hultquist
Beginner

Ok, I just installed the latest version of ATIH 2012. I already had ATIH 2012, but there was a newer release so I installed it. Unfortunately, it would not install on its own, so I first had to uninstall the version I had then install the updated version. That also didn't work using the Win 7 control panel method, so I had to use the ATIH 2012 Cleanup Utility to finally get it to uninstall. The installation of the latest version then worked fine. However, after it was installed it didn't recognize that I had a registered copy so I needed to activate/upgrade it. It asked for my serial key, so I gave it my ATIH 2012 upgrade key, it then said since it's an upgrade it would need my previous key, which in my case was ATIH 2010 (also an upgrade, from 2009). In any event, when I entered that second key, the "Activate" button was no longer greyed out. However, when I click on it nothing happens. I clicked several times, and even restarted ATIH 2012 and tried again, but no matter what I do I don't get any response after clicking "Activate". What's up?!? As things stand now it will only work for 30 days, this is really frustrating (not only all of the steps I had to go through to simply update the software, but now the fact that it won't activate). Any help out there?

Bill Heiser
Beginner

I am having exactly the same problem as described by Thomas Hultquist. In my case, I have been running a licensed copy of ATIH 2011. I recently installed the ATIH 2012 Trial and have it running. Today I purchased the 2012 upgrade, and entered the "Enter Serial Number" like from the "This is a trial version of the product" banner at the bottom of the "Backup and Recovery" screen.

I entered my new serial number, my serial number from the 2011 version, and pressed Activate. Nothing happens.

This is very frustrating for me too. I have had a very large number of problems with Acronis ATIH and several times considered tossing it. But I have given them another chance with the 2012 version and it's not off to a good start.

Thomas Hultquist
Beginner

Ok, since I never got any help in the forums, I decided to try things again myself. I went ahead and uninstalled the upgrade that I had installed (where I ran into the activation issue discussed above). After uninstalling it required a Windows reboot, so I did that. After rebooting, I went ahead and re-installed the new/updated version once again. This time, unlike the initial time I installed, it actually asked for the serial number information at the beginning of the install (I selected the option to participate in their feedback program this time, and can't remember if I chose that last time or not, although it seems crazy that choosing that would bring up the activation screen at the beginning of the install, but I'm thinking anything is possible with Acronis at this point). In any event, since I got the option to activate at the beginning of the install this time (rather than after installation via the "upgrade to full version" option from the help menu, which I had to do previously, and which didn't work), it took both my 2012 serial and my ATIH 2010 serial, and proceeded through the installation just fine. When I loaded up ATIH 2012, it still gave me a message that activation was required, but this time I actually had an "Activate" option rather than "Upgrade to Full Version" option, and when I clicked it it actually activated.

Bill Heiser
Beginner

Same here ... I went ahead and tried a de-install/re-install just now, and so far so good. Here's what I did:

1. Un-install the trial version of ATIH 2012
2. reboot
3. Install ATIH 2011 build 6942
4. reboot
5. Install ATIH 2012 build 6131
6. reboot
7. All of this worked fine, with entering the appropriate serial numbers as requested along the way
8. I decided to "go for broke" and really go out on a limb :) and install the "Plus Pack" that came with the 2012 purchase. So I installed the Plus Pack 2012 build 6131, and rebooted again.

Now I see I need to re-configure my backups (e.g. the NonStop Backup) but so far so good ... I'm watching now to see if it successfully appends to my existing Nonstop Backup archive.

I actually find the new (2012) interface to be much cleaner than the 2011 version, and more responsive, so I have high hopes for this version working well in actual practice.