24463: How to Restore Hard Disk to New Invironment

12 replies [Last post]
Alan N
Beginner

I have created a WinPE bootable disk with Acronis on it. What do I do next to move my C: drive to a new machine. I do not find the User Manual to be clear on how to do this. Can someone outline the steps I need to take to accomplish this task?

Best Regards,
Alan

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Do you have the plus Pack installed? To move a disk to a new machine you need to use Universal Restore, installed when you install the Plus Pack.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Alan N
Beginner

Plus Pack is installed. I created a WinPE bootable disk with Acronis install on it using the installed plus pack. However, I cannot find the Universal Restore function. It is my understanding that the UR function is only available when I boot from the WinPE bootable disk. However, when I boot from the disk and Acronis launches I do not see the Universal Restore option.

Do I need to first go ahead and launch acronis from the winPE bootable disk and do a backup? Is it that UR only shows up when I do a restore?

thomasjk
Regular Poster

Yes. You have to start Acronis from the disk and select an image to restore before the universal restore options becomes available.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You don't need to do a new backup after having produced your WinPE disk and/or installed the Plus Pack. The Universal Restore feature is independent of the backup.

Does your system have a multi-boot environment?

The UR feature shows up automatically when ATI detects an image containing a system, but it looks like there are issues with multi-boot environments.

Alan N
Beginner

I do not have a mult-book environment.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you create a regular Linux-based recovery medium, can you see the UR feature when you start the restore?

Universal Restore doesn't require a WinPE-based disk. WinPE-based disks are the best alternative when the Linux-based (made out of the bootable media builder in the product after the Plus Pack has been installed) doesn't work well on your computer because of hardware issues.

Alan N
Beginner

I ran WinPE and started the restore on my new machine and found the Universal Restore feature. However, I have one question before I start restoring my image file to my new machine. The new machine is configured for RAID where both hard drives are copies of each other. Can I restore my disk image as normal or do I need to remove the RAID configuration?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you want to restore to a new machine, or the same machine with a change from RAID to ACHI or IDE for example, or vice versa, you will need to point the UR process to the drivers.

To be clear, if you old machine had RAID, but (most likely) a different hardware controller than the new machine RAID, you will need to use UR because of a new motherboard chipset and new disk controller. If you old machine had AHCI or IDE and your new machine has RAID, you need the same. If you move from AHCI/IDE to AHCI/IDE (you undo your RAID on the new machine), you still need UR because of new chipset.

So first choose your target disk setup, then find the drivers that you need to enable this setup (chipset, disk controller, USB, etc.) then use UR to inject these drivers in the restore.

Note: A RAID1 mirror is useful for production or time critical systems when you want to quickly replace a dying disk without losing data/uptime. Don't count on RAID1 for backup. I find it less useful for a home user. Home users typically benefit from RAID0 and a good imaging software. My 2c.

Alan N
Beginner

The old machine does not have RAID but the new machine does have RAID. Is my understanding correct that UR will restore my HD image correctly?

I also have another question that I could not get clear understanding from the documentation. If the old machine has XP and the new machine has Windows 7 will the new machine maintain Windows 7 after restore or will it revert to XP?

I'm also not quite sure about what drivers I will need to round up and where do I put them, on the new machine hard drive, or on a flash drive or what.

Thanks for being patient with me as this is the first time I have tried any of this.

Seekforever
Frequent Poster

I'll let the others deal with the RAID and drivers issue since I don't use it - I just never figured RAID was worth the bother for a casual home user but lots of others will disagree.

When you restore your XP image to the new hardware your installed Windows 7 will be gone and you will be running the XP environment contained in the image. Are you sure you want to do this?

The benefits of UR are fine but another of my quirky preferences is to do a fresh OS and apps install on a new machine. Good time to clean up the system by not reloading apps that are rarely, if ever, used. Also, there often are new versions available that are possibly free or worth getting. The data files are easily copied over with Windows Explorer.

Good luck.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Alan N wrote:

The old machine does not have RAID but the new machine does have RAID. Is my understanding correct that UR will restore my HD image correctly?

It should if it works: if you have the right drivers for the RAID available during the restore and if ATI can process them. I say it should because UR is not working all the times. It is still the best alternative to rebuilding your system from scratch, though...

Quote:

I also have another question that I could not get clear understanding from the documentation. If the old machine has XP and the new machine has Windows 7 will the new machine maintain Windows 7 after restore or will it revert to XP?

Your RAID volume in the new system will be completely erased and replaced by your old XP installation. Since there is no "in place" upgrade path from XP to Win 7, if you want to upgrade, you'd better follow Seekforever's advice and reinstall your apps on Win7 and move only your content.

Quote:

I'm also not quite sure about what drivers I will need to round up and where do I put them, on the new machine hard drive, or on a flash drive or what.

The key drivers are: the chipset, the hard disk controller(s), some USB hubs controllers. Graphics, networking, Firewire, keyboard/mouse drivers if any can be installed by Windows automatically.

Alan N
Beginner

Since I want to maintain Windows 7(x64) I will not use UR. I am now converting my tib image to a vhd image so that I can view my existing XP machine in a virtual environment on my new Windows 7 machine. There is only one application that I want to run under windows 7(x64) so that it will run faster so I will reinstall that application.

Thanks to all for helping me sort this out.