25271: USB 3.0 data transfer rates really bad in Acronis Home 2010.

22 replies [Last post]
david moheban
Forum Member

Hi,

I have Acr Home 2010 and when I mount an image though Acr 2010 home from an external usb 3.0 drive and copy out a large folder to a SATA drive I get like 20-30 mb/s transfer rates as when I just copy a large folder from the external usb 3.0 drive I get double that easy. Why so slow??

Thanks.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You should try a more recent version of ATI. The drivers that manage the mounted images might be better with 2011 or 2012. What if you double click on the image and then copy the files out of the image. Same speed?

If you try 2012, don't forget to make a system backup before the update so that you can easily restore your system to where it was before the trial.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

david moheban
Forum Member

Well I was hoping not to spend spend spend on the update software game where you have to upgrade to get better features. I tried to directly mount the image outside of ATI Home 2010 and Windows 7 64 failed to give me stats on the transfer rate but I think its about the same. Maybe if Newegg has a deal on 2012 I'll upgrade, but I tried updating my USB 3.0 drivers to the latest version and saw no difference in speeds. Since a direct file copy from the usb 3.0 drive gives me like 60 mb/sec and Acronis driver is doing like 20 mb/sec it must be a software problem. I'm betting their not even using USB 3.0 protocols. Just accessing the drive at usb 2.0 speeds at best.

Thanks.

david moheban
Forum Member

Well I was hoping not to spend spend spend on the update software game where you have to upgrade to get better features. I tried to directly mount the image outside of ATI Home 2010 and Windows 7 64 failed to give me stats on the transfer rate but I think its about the same. Maybe if Newegg has a deal on 2012 I'll upgrade, but I tried updating my USB 3.0 drivers to the latest version and saw no difference in speeds. Since a direct file copy from the usb 3.0 drive gives me like 60 mb/sec and Acronis driver is doing like 20 mb/sec it must be a software problem. I'm betting their not even using USB 3.0 protocols. Just accessing the drive at usb 2.0 speeds at best.

Thanks.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I was checking whether ATI 2010 is supposed to support USB 3.0, and http://kb.acronis.com/content/15487 states it does.

Also build 7160 is supposed to take advantage of full speed: http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/changes.html?p=6652

What kind of speed (you will have to time it) do you see when you move a backup from your USB to another destination?

david moheban
Forum Member

I just had the displeasure of trying the 2012 trial version. Lets just say that it has problems mounting old archives from 2010. Not only did it give errors while attempting to mount within the ATI 2012 environment about 'unable to assign drive letter', it eventually said my archives were corrupted. This better not be the case as I hold Acronis responsible if this happens. Uninstalling this early not ready for prime time god damn fn release. I mean who's doing the beta testing here?! Three Stoodges?!

david moheban
Forum Member

Pat L wrote:

I was checking whether ATI 2010 is supposed to support USB 3.0, and http://kb.acronis.com/content/15487 states it does.

Also build 7160 is supposed to take advantage of full speed: http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/changes.html?p=6652

What kind of speed (you will have to time it) do you see when you move a backup from your USB to another destination?

Like I said according to the Windows copy dialogue box under details I was getting 40-60 mb/sec when I copy a file straight from the usb 3.0 drive to my raid 0 array. I'm using a Seagate Goflex 2.5" external drive. Copying from a mounted volume is much slower at 20-30mb/sec. At first I thought maybe its because it has to decompress the archive but its an i7 based rig. Should have no problems with speed. Anyhow my archives are safe. Never going to switch from 2010 as 2012 was a big failure. Restored back to the previous 2010 version and all is fine once again...

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

To clarify, I was talking about the "move backup" feature of ATI (not a Windows explorer copy). I was wondering what speed you would get there.

tomf
Regular Poster

Are you using the latest SnapAPI (build 586) with ATIH2010? May have nothing to do with this but ya never know. I use a USB3.0 drive with ATIH2010 and it works great, and super-fast, but I've never tried copying files out of a mounted image as you're talking about.

david moheban
Forum Member

I'm afraid I dont know much about what version of snapapi is running?.

tomf
Regular Poster

Find snapman.sys and look in Properties > Details for the version/build. Should be in windir\system32\drivers.

As I said maybe a long shot but it would not hurt to bring your ATIH2010 up-to-current. If you need build 586 you can find it here; the middle of the three Solutions:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/20350

If you have to install this be sure to make a System Restore point first. If that doesn't fix it then you might try entering a support ticket with Acronis to see what they say.

david moheban
Forum Member

Will do tomorrow. About the latest version the demo had a problem mounting my images. I'll wait till a stable release comes out on sale.

Thanks

tomf
Regular Poster

>About the latest version the demo had a problem mounting my images. I'll wait till a stable release comes out on sale.

Sorry, I have no idea what you intend to convey with this. I thought you had a purchased version of 2010, and were only concerned that the speed of copying from a mounted image seemed inadequate.

david moheban
Forum Member

tomf wrote:

>About the latest version the demo had a problem mounting my images. I'll wait till a stable release comes out on sale.

Sorry, I have no idea what you intend to convey with this. I thought you had a purchased version of 2010, and were only concerned that the speed of copying from a mounted image seemed inadequate.

Yes, I have a license for the 2010 version. Didn't mean to go off topic talking about 2012. It didn't seem stable and previous post said I should upgrade to see speed improvement so I tried the 2012 demo as I wasn't going to commit until I saw a need to do so. Also I wanted to test how fast 2012 restored data compared to 2010 but couldn't because the software couldn't mount my image and produced an error while trying to so. I am willing to try again though. Maybe you got to do a clean install and remove every trace of 2010 version before installing 2012. I don't know but I will do further testing later today after work and get back to you guys what version of snapapi is installed...

Thanks.

Thanks.

tomf
Regular Poster

I haven't tried 2012 myself (nor will I so long as 2010 works as well as it does for me) but I also have ATI Netbook edition 2011 which uses the same "engine" as 2012. It uses a different "filter" mechanism (snapman.sys et al that operate at a low level of filesystem access).

I would have expected Acronis to account for this difference in upgrading from an older version, but it seems looking at the 2012 area that lotsa folks are having trouble upgrading. So if it were me trying, I'd un-install 2010 completely first, rebooting again of course, doublechecking that the old snapman.sys is outta there, before committing to an installation of 2012.

But I like 2010 so still think you oughta get that up-to-latest first before giving-up and trying 2012.

david moheban
Forum Member

Well I'm using build 7160 of the Acr Home 2010 version. Still at work though but can't wait to do some more testing...

tomf
Regular Poster

I know you're at 7160--I asked about your snapman.sys. That is what I mean about being up-to-date.

david moheban
Forum Member

tomf wrote:

Find snapman.sys and look in Properties > Details for the version/build. Should be in windir\system32\drivers.

As I said maybe a long shot but it would not hurt to bring your ATIH2010 up-to-current. If you need build 586 you can find it here; the middle of the three Solutions:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/20350

If you have to install this be sure to make a System Restore point first. If that doesn't fix it then you might try entering a support ticket with Acronis to see what they say.

Hi,

I have SnapApi version 3.10.0.546. I also timed a 'move backup' procedure from the external usb 3.0 drive and got about 38-40 mb/sec. Used a stop watch. I also timed how long it took to backup a 971mb folder at roughly 32mb/sec. Also copying files from a mounted image varied from 20-35 mb /sec. Interestingly enough copying a single file from the mounted image started off really strong at 60mb/sec though slowed down to like 35 mb/sec. So it seems like restoring multiple files is slower than a single file. I also ran HDTune on my external drive and benched it at 80mb/sec average transfer rate. So its operating at around USB 2.0 speeds mostly with the exception of the 'Move' feature being a little faster but not the full potential it could be. I will update my snapapi I guess and report back if there are any improvements.

Thanks.

david moheban
Forum Member

Just updated to the 586 build and maybe like 10 % faster on the first folder i unarchived though the second time round no different. So can't say whats going on...

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

David,

Ok, so it seems that regardless of the operation, ATI is not taking advantage of your USB 3.0 speeds. Did you try to change the policies for that disk in the device manager to see if one is making a difference?

david moheban
Forum Member

Pat L wrote:

David,

Ok, so it seems that regardless of the operation, ATI is not taking advantage of your USB 3.0 speeds. Did you try to change the policies for that disk in the device manager to see if one is making a difference?

No I havent tried that. What setting would need changing?

Thanks

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Right click on the My Computer icon > Properties > Device Manager > Disk Drives > Right click on your USB > properties > policies tab. Try to change the removal policy and select/deselect the write cache options.
In theory, enabling optimization for performance with write-caching is faster, but you can try various settings to see if it makes any difference at all.

david moheban
Forum Member

Pat L wrote:

Right click on the My Computer icon > Properties > Device Manager > Disk Drives > Right click on your USB > properties > policies tab. Try to change the removal policy and select/deselect the write cache options.
In theory, enabling optimization for performance with write-caching is faster, but you can try various settings to see if it makes any difference at all.

Write caching is disabled and I feel uncomfortable with enabling caching...