25999: Why should I upgrade?

9 replies [Last post]
John Dlugosz
Beginner

For $30, what is new or better, compared to T.I.H 2011 which I only bought in March?

hhansard
Regular Poster

I would NOT upgrade until feedback is provided for Update 1. Their are simply too many issues in the 2012 gold release. In addition, the new 'sync' function and internet data use needs clarification. Wait a few weeks and check the forum for feedback.

Lasouris
Beginner

There are also issues with 2011, for example random backup naming, I 'upgraded' to the latest 2011 build recently and now backups are being named 4.tib, instead of .tib

Although Acronis has enabled me to recover my system on a number of occasions my personal opinion is that they have serious issues with their software QA.

I suspect their sales model requires frequent updates to attract new Customers, resulting in ill-considered feature additions rather than 'robustness', because lets face it if your backup is actually _working_why would you upgrade unless you need a new OS support.

Lasouris
Beginner

There are also issues with the forum, as it does not treat text as plain text. My previous comment used "<" & ">" to wrap backup_name and backup_number when describing the naming of the backup file.....

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Lasouris wrote:
My previous comment used "<" & ">" to wrap backup_name and backup_number when describing the naming of the backup file.....Examples of file names and folders:
Lasouris,
Those characters are used as html to signify that the material with the symbols are not to be displayed. This is not unique to this forum. If you want to have these characters seen on the forum, you will need to use the actual html codes instead of the actual characters
< show this example >
My coding to get the characters to show was
~#60; show this example ~#62;
The code for the < was ~#60;
The code for the > was ~#62;
Except substitute the & for the ~

Here are some examples of various ways that you can expect TrueImage to assign numbers to your file names.
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/win7-64...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/win7-64...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/all-tes...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/backup_...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/marv-te...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/2011-di...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/3_conso...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/full_or...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/folders/cleanup...

My personal opinion is that 2012 version has fewer backup issues than the 2011 version but I do not use non-stop backup or online backup or Sync. I just disable their services.

Edit and Addendum:
My comments are not meant to suggest that the 2012 version does not have an assortment of issues. The 2012 version fixed a lot of the 2011 backup issues and introduced whole new set of issues.

As I stated, my backup needs are straight forward and the 2012 works for me in that regard. Whether it will serve your needs, who knows. My comments should just be interpreted as the comments of one user. The trial version is available if you wish to try. Just be sure and create a full disk backup of your current system before you install the 2012 trial version. Having a backup would enable you to get back to your prior setup if you do not want to keep the 2012 version installed. If you want to try the 2012, my personal preference would be to uninstall the old version before installing the 2012 version.

Here is a picture of the Backup scheme (with automatic cleanup) used plus a picture of the resulting actual backup files. This is a daily backup which runs at 5 a.m. and has worked without issues since it was created as shown in the explorer folder.
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/2012_task_cloni...
http://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/mvp/user285/2012_task_cloni...

Richard Virtue
Richard Virtue's picture
Regular Poster

With some reservations, I'll second GroverH's assessment. The core backup and restore funtions of TIH 2012 actually seem to work reasonably well IF (and only if) you can somehow avoid all of the problems with those damned gimmicks and gizmos that Acronis keeps inventing for marketing their "latest and greatest upgrade" versions. IMO, the real usefulness of many of the latter is highly questionable in any case, even assuming you can get them to work in the first place. Still worse are the multiple "required for boot" dependencies of those gimmicks on drivers and filters that even Acronis' own installer and cleanup tool often appear to have difficulties handling properly.

Until Acronis comes up with an installer that allows for individual user selection of the product's core features only (or alternatively sells its Windows PE builder set separately) I have my own suggested recipe for a problem-free TIH 2012 installation:

1) Create a full disk backup of the drive onto which you plan to install TIH.

2) Install TIH 2012 with its Plus Pack which includes the formerly free "BartPE" Windows PE builder set.

3) Use the Plus Pack files to create a Windows preinstallation environment that includes all drivers required for accessing your own hardware.

4) Install the WinPE build from step 3 onto a bootable device and test it for total device assessibilty, including USB, eSATA, network, etcetera, with special attention to AHCI or RAID-configured drives.

5) Restore the backup made in step 1, or at least keep that backup safe for restoration if any problems arise later.

Personally, I'd be quite happy if they just sold the Plus Pack's WinPE builder capability as a totally separate standalone product without needing to install their main TIH product with all its gimmick-laden garbage. I do all of my own backups and restores from a multiboot Windows preinstallation environment anyhow. I just wish now that I could be sure of getting rid of the main TIH 2012 installation safely and completely. Unfortunately I didn't follow my own step 5 advice about protecting the previous full backup for very long after the main install was completed and started its own backup sequences. :(

One last suggestion. If you're determined to upgrade, at least wait for the first Acronis "bug fix" release.

John Dlugosz
Beginner

Re "The 2012 version fixed a lot of the 2011 backup issues and..."

So the bug fixes are not applied to the 2011 updates? So I have to pay again for software that was defective the first time?

Personally, I do not like 2011. The UI is bewildering and I can't find basic features. I had an "issue" recovering my backup from a daily file.

Richard, I used to run partition backup from a BartPE (and their boot media or F11 before that, when they stopped supporting motherboards chipsets) and not care to "install" the GUI. In fact, I figured the backup of the OS worked better without it being booted. I think it would be harder to create a BartPE disc with the right drivers now since I normally run x64, and can't just copy the list of files shown by the running driver.

But now I like the daily backup capability using a shadow drive, and as long as it's there I use it for various project data files too.

Richard Virtue
Richard Virtue's picture
Regular Poster

John Dlugosz wrote:
I think it would be harder to create a BartPE disc with the right drivers now since I normally run x64, and can't just copy the list of files shown by the running driver.

It can be done, but it requires first the installation of the 64-bit edition of the main TIH application and then the replacement of certain 32-bit WinPE (BartPE) drivers with their version-matched 64-bit equivalents. And there is one error that needs to be corrected in the currently supplied acronis.inf file. Not a trival task for sure, and definitely not a job to be undertaken by anyone without a large reserve of patient persistence.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Just my two pennorth',

If 2011 is working for you and you don't require any of the new gizmo's then you don't need to upgrade.

The last update for 2011 fixed most problems, but that doesn't mean any are not still lurking. I doubt that there will be any more updates for 2011.

Most of the 2012 problems are 2012 specific even if they seem very similar to 2011 problems.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Perdido Beach
Perdido Beach's picture
Forum Member

I totally agree with Colin....
I purchased the upgrade from TIH 2011 to 2012 just after it was released.
I have NOT installed it yet...not once, not even as a test... Look at the forum chatter and you can see why !!!

I upgraded my TIH 2011 + PP to the latest version. I do not use any automated backups or cloud backups.
I have several licenses and make image and special folder backups for all machines regularly.
I even backup Outlook 2007 and have test restored it without any problem.

I have a backup machine pre-loaded with TIH2011, 2 disks, one disk W7/64 and the other XP Pro.
Now, Get This remarkable feat with TIH2011... and I call it remarkable.
We run a small business and have ONE Dell that does embroidery pattern creation.

I backed up the DELL (Image Backup) and Restored it to one of the disks on the backup machine using Universal Restore. OF COURSE it would not boot properly...ha It was a DELL with Dell WinXP OS and drivers...
BUT... I used our legal copy of WIN XP Pro to REPAIR the restored image from the dell... NOT ASR, a repair from the point at which one would re-install the OS from the XP installation disk... The repair went smooth, system booted and asked for the new MB drivers and VIOLA... Everything from one machine (DELL) to a new Ultra with all new harware from video to MB all working perfectly AND every single program and all e-mail working perfectly... Wonderful, tickled... very happy... moved a heavily used DELL system over into totally new hardware in a bit less than 2 hours...

I have done the same thing from one of our other XP machines to the backup computer with the universal restore and DID not have to use the XP installation disk... but the DELL of course had the little MS Dell OS on it...smile...

Until I hear that 2012 is pretty rock solid from folks like Colin and others.... My copy will sit in the Acronis folder and wait...

Steve
Perdido Beach, AL