30645: Exclude Folders From Backups?

5 replies [Last post]
Ryan Jackson
Beginner

I want to image my entire hard drive except certain folders and subfloders.

I want to be able to exclude certain folders and all of their subfolders from the image. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Ryan Jackson
Beginner

OK, I just saw this thread:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/26824

which concluded that you cannot do this with Acronis True Image Home.

What I don't get is that you can exclude file types from a "full image," but apparently you cannot exclude folders. Is there some technical reason why one can be excluded in a "sector by sector" backup and the other cannot?

So if it not possible to exclude folders, then I ask my question a different way.

What I want to end up with is a 100% complete image of my hard drive that I can use to restore my entire drive, programs and bootable operating system from in the event that it is needed. But I want to exclude certain user folders and their subfloders from this image. I also want to be able to make incremental images of this same drive periodically including the same things and excluding the same folders.

Is there any way to do this *selecting* all the folders I want (rather than excluding the ones I don't)? Can I somehow still make that a restorable image that will restore my OS and programs to a disk and make it bootable the same as it was on the original?

G. Uphoff
G. Uphoff's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Man kann Ordner von einem Laufwerksbackup ausschließen.

AttachmentSize
dateien_ausschliessen.gif 179.35 KB
Ryan Jackson
Beginner

Ja! Vielen Dank! Sie sind richtig. Ich wusste nicht, dass man einen Pfad in der Ausschlüsse Dialog setzen. Ich dachte, Sie könnten nur setzen Dateitypen in ihm. Exzellent!
Wenn Sie einen Pfad setzen in, funktioniert es auch ausschließen, die Unterordner? In meiner Situation, das ist wichtig, weil es viele Unterordner sind, und sie wechseln häufig. Ich muss in der Lage, alle Unterordner ausschließen, damit sie effizienter arbeiten. Hat jemand darüber Bescheid?

Nochmals vielen Dank!

===
Yes! Thank you! You are correct. I did not know that you could put a path in the exclusions dialog. I thought you could only put file types in it. Excellent!

When you put a path in, does it also exclude the subfolders? In my situation, that is important because there are many subfolders and they change often. I need to be able to exclude all of the subfolders in order to make it work efficiently. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks again!

G. Uphoff
G. Uphoff's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ryan Jackson wrote:

When you put a path in, does it also exclude the subfolders? In my situation, that is important because there are many subfolders and they change often.

Der Ordner mit Unterordner wird nicht gesichert, auch wenn sich der Inhalt ändert.

Ryan Jackson
Beginner

Schönen Dank!