3081: Copying disk images out of Acronis Security Zone

16 replies [Last post]
Richard Casale
Beginner

Just to set the stage, I am new to Acronis Tru Image Home 2009, but I'm a pretty technical guy. I have my system setup with a SecureZone on a separate drive for local backups, however I want to make a copy of the full images to a USB hard drive so that if my system totally looses it, I can at least access those files.

Is it possible to copy Image backups out of a SecureZone onto another drive that is not using a SecureZone.

Also, by chance, if I perform a file back up of the image file in the securezone to a regular partition, can I use that backup copy to restore my system?

dh27564
Forum Member

I'm relatively new to ATI also. It is my understanding that the secure zone is primarily for users who only have a single internal HD. The secure zone is set up on the same disk as your operating system. The problem with this is, if your HD crashes crashes, so does your secure zone. After reading several posts in the previous forum, it seemed many users were having problems with the secure zone so I chose not to create it.

I don't believe you need a secure zone if you're backing up to an external drive. Simply store the backup image on your external drive. You should be able to store a backup image on any external disk that ATI sees and is large enough. You should also create the rescue CD and practice using it to back up to your external HD. If your main drive crashes, you will have to boot from the CD and use it to restore. I am using the rescue CD to create all my backups, store them on an external HD, and to validate them. I have restored individual files using the rescue CD but have not yet completed a full restore.

Again, I'm new to this also and hopefully others may jump in and give you a better explanation.

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

What build of TI 2009 are you using?

I haven't tried with the latest build (9,796), but you used to be able to use a Live Linux CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.) or a partitioning program (like DD) and change the SZ partition type to a standard FAT32 partition. After doing that, you can copy files off normally. It's been reported previously that a Knoppix CD would mount the SZ partition automatically (I haven't tested this, though).

Note that you should have a current backup of the entire drive before you make any partitioning changes.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Richard Casale
Beginner

Thanks David,

I realize I don't have to use a SecureZone, but there are two benefits, particularlly when placing one on a dedicated hard drive to have a SecureZone setup:

1) The SecureZone is out of your site so you won't be tempted to put other files there or fool with the partition with programs like diskeeper.

2) Your operating system, or more importantly, your other applications won't see the securezone partition, so the likelihood of your files or that partition being infected by a virus are very low, ensuring that you have a clean backup you can restore to.

Since I'm extra paranoid, I wanted to take a couple of monthly full backups and place them on an external hard drive--which I keep turned off until I am ready to back things up.

I think what I'm going to have to do is schedule the local image and file backups to occur to my local SecureZone drive and manually backup my system, once a month or so, to my external drive just for safe keeping.

That is unless someone else has a better solution.

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello Richard,

Thank you for using Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Acronis True Image Home 2009 has an option to duplicate created backup archives to different location, e.g. external drive. Check Tools -> Options -> Default Backup options -> Backup reserve copies -> set checkbox “reserve my backups” -> check “copy created backups (tib-files format). Then from the same window specify location for duplicated backup archive.

As an alternative you can create two schedule tasks, one to create backup archives to Secure Zone and another to your external drive. I would prefer this way because when creating schedule task to USB device you will see two options on Scheduling window 1) If missed run the task when device is attached, 2) Run the task when current device is attached.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Richard Casale
Beginner

Thanks Dmitry,

This is the same conclusion than I have come to as well. I'm going to create two full image backup tasks, one for the securezone storage and one for the external drive.

Alan Vecchio
Beginner

I am new to ATI 2009 and have a couple of questions:

1.  Dmitry, I don't see the options If missed run the task when device is attached, or Run the task when current device is attached on the scheduling screen.  I only see "If missed run the task at startup".  Is this what you meant?

2.  If I have one or more currupted registry entries or system files that prevent me from starting Windows completely, can I use the Acronis boot disk and/or secure zone and/or the startup recovery manager to boot me into windows (without having to restore my system files first) so that I can examine my system to see what is wrong or is my only option to first restore my system from one of my backups and then try to reboot?

Regards, Alan

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If those are your reasons for using the SZ, then consider going one step farther and safer and getting an extra and external harddisk and avoiding using the SZ or any special partitions at all. You can keep your backups physically away from the machine (except when backing up) and really keep them away form the operating system, prying eyes, and other wonky events. And drives are really dirt cheap these days. This way the files wil be "invisible" only when you decide they should be -- it will be up to you and not ATI.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello Alan,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Products

These two options (1) If missed run the task when device is attached, (2) Run the task when current device is attached appears only when you attach USB device. Regarding the second question in order to repair some registry errors you can use either System State backup or perform Repair option using Windows installation disc. Check Microsoft KB for step-by-step instructions.

You can backup either disks and partitions or the system state that comprises the boot files, registry, protected Windows files, and COM+ CLASS registration database. Backing up the System state allows you to restore the system files, drivers, etc., but not the data files and folders you use in your work. To be able to restore the data files and folders, select the disks and partitions.

I would recommend you to look through user guide for more infmation.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Peter Silberg
Beginner

Does Acronis True Image Home 11 have the option to "duplicate created backup archives to different location," as you note for the 2009 version? I went to the Tools/Options/Default Backup options menu but the "Backup reserve copies" menu selection does not exist.

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

That was a new feature added in TI 2009.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Daniel Cinotto
Beginner

I have ASZ on a separate HDD than my system, with my full system backup in ASZ, therefore if something were to go wrong with my system HDD, ASZ will still be intact with my untouched system backup ready to restore to my new replacement HDD. I have had to restore a couple of times, not because of HDD failure, but because Something had gotten messed up with my System, and it has worked flawlessly. And even though I have the separate HDDs, I feel more secure with ASZ on a different drive than the one my OS is on. BTW, I am using A.T.I. 2009 Home, with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, on a notebook with two internal HDDs, both 320GB, and ASZ is loaded on the second internal HDD, because obviously, Windows is installed on the other one. I have also upgraded my system HDD twice, once from 120GB to 160GB, and the second time from the 160GB to the 320GB that I have now, and I used the A.T.I. clone tool both times, with my new HDD plugged thru external USB then switched it with my old system disk after completion without any problems.

RFSTech
Beginner

Hi Dmitry, The procedure you describe appears to allow creating a 2nd copy DURING the backup process. How do I just copy an existing image from the Acronis Secure Zone to a USB hard disk? - Thanks

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

R Shmidt, the ability to access Secure Zone was addded only in version 2010. Actually, it is a hidden partition and you can't copy files from it, you can just save the backups there.

However, there's a possibility to change its type by the means of Acronis Disk Director or any 3rd-party software and after that you will be able to copy necessary backups.

Please follow the instructions on how to change the partition type in Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0:

1. Run Acronis Disk Director;
  2. Right-click on Acronis Secure Zone;
  3. Select Advanced -> Change type;
  4. On the Partition Type screen select type 0Bh (FAT32);
  5. Reboot the computer.

Acronis Secure Zone will be mounted as a partition with its own drive letter. You will be able to access and manage the backup archives there using standard Windows Explorer.

To revert Acronis Secure Zone back to hidden, change the type to 0BCh (Acronis Secure Zone type).

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Sam Reaves
Beginner

Hello Ilya,

I have a related question. My boot drive has crashed and will not boot. I attempted to recover it from the ASZ using bootable media and according to TI 2010 the restore was sucessful but the drive still won't boot. If I connect the drive to a system that has TI 2010 installed on it I can see all of my files and the ASZ in disk management. Can I use the method you describe above to copy the tib files out of the ASZ partition to restore the drive?

Alternately can I connect the "bad" drive and a new drive to the same computer and use the bootable media and recover the data to the new drive from the "bad" drives ASZ?

One final question. Assuming that the "bad" drive won't boot is there a way to validate the integrity of the ASZ partition?

Thank you very much,

Sam
Electronics Hardware Engineer

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Sam,

Let me help you.

1. Yes, you can to make Acronis Secure Zone accessible within Windows to copy all files.

2. You can connect the drive to any PC and restore files from Secure Zone with a bootable media.

3. You can boot off Acronis Bootable Media and validate archives stored in Acronis Secure Zone to check their integrity.

Please reply to this thread if you need any assistance.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Officework13
Beginner

keep this as i may need it to copy the image in the secure zone