30850: Consolidation loop

4 replies [Last post]
Steve Zurlo
Beginner

I suddenly have an issue with consolidation. The issue is that once a quota violation is detected, consolidation continues running, over and over until all incremental versions are gone and only one backup remains. Specifically, I have a disk backup set to consolidate when it grows over 60GB or 14 versions. It always hits the 14 versions before 60 GB and at the 15th backup it will consolidate. But rather than consolidating ONE backup to get me back to 14, it simply runs over and over for many hours until there is only one backup left. The end result of course is that I lose my entire version history once every 2 weeks.

Steve Zurlo
Beginner

No takers? I'm running out of ideas on this. I have completely deleted and recreated my backup using a different name and backing up to a different drive and I still have the same issue. It creates a full backup, then creates incremental backups every night until there is a quota violation, and then it cycles through the consolidation process until ALL the incrementals are gone, records "Failed to consolidate backups" in the log and ends.

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I believe that is normal behavior. It consolidates a backup set (the full and related incs or diffs) into one file and then starts over making new incs (or diffs).

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Steve Zurlo
Beginner

Then something changed from the previous version to 2012. In the last version, consolidation would merge the oldest incremental with the original full backup and then recheck for quota violations. If there was still a violation, it would merge the next oldest one, and so on until the violation no longer existed. So if you had it set for say, 14 versions then on the 15th, it would merge the oldest incremental with the full and stop, since after that consolidation there was no longer a quota violation. This gave you the ability to establish a rolling history of the last X number of incrementals.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Steve,

Create a new task, but this time control the autoconsolidation through the number of versions to keep. See if makes a difference.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614