30861: Wont Cleanup

14 replies [Last post]
Philip Howe
Beginner

For some reason my backup wont cleanup backups.

Im doing daily FULL Backup tried to set it to 30 days and 30 backups, both it simply overfills my harddrive.

Any suggestions?

John Flynn
Beginner

I have a similar problem,
I run incremental backups and have set it up to do 7 incrementals before starting a new set, but it just keeps adding incrementals.
I end up having to delete the backup program and re-schedule a new one.

Susan Hennessy
Beginner

Add me to the list. I've NEVER been able to get ATIH to delete ANYTHING automatically, and I've been using the products for years. Automatic cleanup is not working at all. My question is, when is it supposed to process? Prior to the backup or after a backup? Either way, it's not happening for me and my weekly backups fail each week due to lack of space.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

John & Susan,
Incremental backups and their deletion:

The program should delete the oldest backup after it reaches the set number retained plus creating the replacement before deleting the oldest. The option to keep x number of backups works better than options based on dates or space.

Consider creating a new task and use the options to keep x number of backup rather than use the option based on time or disk space. Adjust the 6 & 4 example to meet your needs. Additional space temporarily for the an additional backup as no deletion occurs until after the replacement has been created.

Each task should point to its own folder and recommend that you do NOT use one folder only for your backup files. Use a different sub-folder for each backup task.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Phillip,
Regarding full backups only:
In this example, change the 4 to 30 and see how it works. My recommendation is that each backup task point to itw own sub-folder so backup files from different tasks are not mixed. Allow space for one additional full backup as the oldest backup will not be deleted until after the its replacement has been created.

Phillip,

Philip Howe
Beginner

As i have stated
I tried "Deleted versions older then 30 days" and store no more then 30 recent versions"
both it simply overfills my harddrive and go PAST the 30 day mark to like 40 or 50.

Any ideas why this is, ive re-created the backup a few times now.

Susan Hennessy
Beginner

GroverH wrote:

John & Susan,
Incremental backups and their deletion:

The program should delete the oldest backup after it reaches the set number retained plus creating the replacement before deleting the oldest. The option to keep x number of backups works better than options based on dates or space.

And therein lies the problem. I want it to delete oldest BEFORE it runs the backup. Waiting until afterwards is too late. Unless there's a way i can specify when this is to happen, I'm going to have to go out and buy a bigger drive for backups. And it seems that because I have to manually delete the oldest EVERY time, ATIH can't handle it. Not happy...

Philip Howe
Beginner

I find if you deleted the oldest one ATIH complains its database is currpot (or some error that leeds me to beleave that is the case)

For your problem susan, i'd just lower the total amount of backups you have by one.

as for me.. .it doesnt delete at ALL

Susan Hennessy
Beginner

Philip Howe wrote:

I find if you deleted the oldest one ATIH complains its database is currpot (or some error that leeds me to beleave that is the case)

For your problem susan, i'd just lower the total amount of backups you have by one.

as for me.. .it doesnt delete at ALL

The problem is, I only have enough room for 2 (I do weekly full backups - faster/easier if you have to restore). I guess it's time to go shopping...

Philip Howe
Beginner

So any idea why its not removing the last backup for me.

the target is a network share on a netgear nas.... any ideas at all?

Susan Hennessy
Beginner

Philip Howe wrote:

So any idea why its not removing the last backup for me.

the target is a network share on a netgear nas.... any ideas at all?

If you're going in and deleting backup files each time like I am, that could be the reason. From other posts I've seen if you go in and mess with anything at all, ATIH thinks the database is fubar'd and doesn't do what it's supposed to. If you've never made any changes, then I'm not really sure.

Philip Howe
Beginner

Ive re-built this backup job at least 3 times now.....

each time it grows beyond the defined paramiters.

Seriously... its making me wonder how i can implement Acronis in an enterprise environment when for my home use i cant get support on such a small, fundimentaly important defect!

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Hello Philip,
Lots of good information here. Quotas are enforced at the conclusion of a scheduled task. It sounds like your issue could be stemming from a lack of disk space. How large are your back up images? How large is the media you are saving too? Forgive me if this information was already provided, I am still reading through the entire thread.

Sys1: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5, 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w PSU, EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature2, 2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot), 1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult. Case: HAF 922, ATI 2012 Plus Build #7133. Win8.1 Pro x64 2013 Plus Build #6514, QNAP TS-219P-II NAS - Sys2: P8Z77-V-LE PLUS, i5 3570k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, TX750w PSU, GTX 560Ti DS SC, Intel 520 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Black - Sys3: Surface Pro 2 - Win 8.1 128GB

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Philip Howe wrote:

Ive re-built this backup job at least 3 times now...

Forum postings would seem to indicate that editing an existing backup task does not produce the desired corrected results--so when the user needs to make a correction, I suggest that the user
a. cease to use the problem task and create a new task with the desired settings.
b. Set up a custom task as per my examples.
that is.. keep x number of backups rather than using elapsed days or storage space limits for controls.
b. Point the new task to a new and empty sub-folder. Do not mix different backup tasks into the same folder.
When I follow these rules, I have not had any issues wth any build of 2012.
I understand that the mixing of files within the storage folder is provided by Acronis but my experience has been keeping the contents separate has worked better for me.

Philip Howe
Beginner

This is One backup One task "Backup whole computer"
I have re-created the task 3 times now
The backup store has 36+ backup images when i run out of space even though its told to STOP after 30

I will try Again