30896: True Image Trial 2012: Same old problems (plus new ones!)

8 replies [Last post]
Wayne H
Beginner

Hi,

I am trialing TIH 2012 because I really want to like this software, but I am encountering so many problems with it right off the bat, that it's very hard to like.

For starters, right after installing TIH 2012 when I try to test the File Shredder I get this message:
"Cannot initialize Backup Archive Explorer. Please re-install Acronis True Image Home."

I tried re-installing to no avail (all A/V software was disabled during install).

Ignoring that error, I ran a Peter Gutmann shred of the Acronis installer (which was strangely satisfying). It did seem to work, but it took a lot longer than expected. I had calculated that even at a very slow average write speed of 5MB/s (which should be faster since it's mainly sequential writing that has to happen, assuming the file isn't already highly fragmented) it should take no more than 25 minutes. An hour into the scrub with the progress bar at 0% I wasn't feeling very confident. The scrub did eventually finish after 70 minutes, but clearly the progress bar does not work and the scrub process seems slow. A quick scan with Pandora recovery at least showed that it did seem to work at least.

Next I tested the System Clean-up tool and attempted to use DoD to scrub the 350GB free space in my drive. This never worked on previous Acronis versions and still appears not to work at all. The process finishes in a matter of seconds (successfully it claims), but a DoD scrub of that amount of free space should take many hours! Using Pandora Recovery I can confirm that it did in fact not scrub a thing. I am only 4% into the Pandora scan, but already have found 2,500 files and file fragments. And yes I can recover some of those files so what did the Acronis scrub do besides nothing?!?!!!

Cheers.

Wayne H
Beginner

So I moved on to testing the backup functionality.

Setting it up was pretty easy in the new UI, but picking the backup folder was painful. For some reason you have to pick it 3 or 4 times before what you picked will actually stick. The UI seems obsessed with "My backups" and won't let you change it for the first few tries. I almost though that was a show stopper, but managed to get past it.

Beyond that the first backup seemed to work. I got my backup files Backup1.tib through Backup10.tib. BUT then I ran a second backup which executes a pre backup action that puts that backup in a different location before creating the new one (this works fine in TIH v11). But for some reason TIH then created the second backup with rather large file names like:
Backup.tib_FFDBCD5A-1234-40EC-8BCD-CBDA3DB2AD34AD341.tib

Not that I have anything against GUIDs personally, but there should be no reason for that, and it screws with my custom pre-backup actions so I'd have to modify my code to use TIH 2012.

Anyway moving along (I can probably edit my pre-backup tool to deal with the file name variations) I then tried to mount a backup and instantly got BSOD!!!

I'm pretty sure I have never had a BSOD on this laptop, so Acronis that is one good effort.

Wayne H
Beginner

OK, the icing on the cake of this lemon is now that I cannot un-install it.

I get a message "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Acronis True Image Home 2012. Please contact your system adminstrator."

What the? I have never seen that with any application on Windows 7 until this very day (especially when I am an administrator).

Even running appwiz.cpl from an elevated command prompt doesn't help (which would be the first time EVER that was needed to uninstall an app).

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello Wayne,

Thank you very much for your posts.

We really appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry to read about the issues that you experienced with our software.

I could not find any support cases in our system, we offer technical support for the duration of the trial period via chat and e-mail.

The issue with Windows 7 backup can be resolved by using the fix from the following Knowledge Base article.

If you want to completely uninstall our software you can use our cleanup utility which can be found here.

Should you need additional help, please feel free to contact our Support team.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Wayne H
Beginner

Hi Anton,

Appreciate the reply, but the horse has already bolted.

>> I could not find any support cases in our system <<
Maybe some people have the patience to call support about problems in a product that they haven't bought yet, but to me that feels like doing your QA for you. If you send out an evaluation build of the software it should be robust enough that there aren't a slew of problems at almost every turn.

I see also that my last post got deleted. Did I violate some terms by simply expressing my opinion (based on my evaluation) of the current state of Acronis True Image?

Also that link to fix Windows 7 backup that you provide has nothing of the sort in it. I never enabled that option to begin with (as I said, I was too scared to, given the way things were going) and once the application is un-installed those steps (even if they do work) are useless. I preferred the link that I provided, but won't re-post that in-case the fact I had that link was why my last post got deleted. I was only trying to help other people who may fall into that trap.

Thanks for the link to the cleanup utility; I am not sure if I need it at this point.

Cheers.

EDIT: I may be back in another couple of years to see if things have improved. The under-pinnings are there for a great package, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry, but that's just the way it is at the moment.

Yana
Forum Star

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for your comment, and for sharing your concerns with us.

I understand your hesitation to contact support when using a trial version. It's an evaluation, and you might want not to waste time adjusting the product to your system. The reason why we looked into the support system to find out your cases is actually this thread. You wouldn't open it if you didn't want to receive technical assistance. As far as Forum is a Community, but not a support channel, it's easier to receive timely response, and quick solution by contacting technical department directly via e-mail, and chat rather then leaving a comment, and waiting till anyone would reply.

We're willing to assist you with all technical issues, you just need to let us do it.

I also didn't see the deleted post, but I believe that there was a reason for removing it. We pull down the content that either doesn't meet Terms of Use requirements, or we delete negative comments only in case there are several of them from one user in different threads, and they are posted without any technical diagnostic information. Such comments recognized as negative spamming, and deleted due to the following reason: there are other users that will come to seek help, and answers, and they shouldn't dig for the solution through the additional comments without any constructive or related to the solution/investigation information.

We completely understand how upsetting this issue is, and you have all the rights to express your frustration. We also always forward your negative requests to the Management team for them to be aware of the situation.  But let's be honest, not all the Users read through the entire thread, and the solution or instructions about how to proceed can be lost in the middle of the thread, followed by complaint posts without any constructive, and useful information.

We tend to keep our conversations on Forum constructive, and issue related.

We hope for your understanding, and sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you.

Wayne H
Beginner

Hi Yana,

>> You wouldn't open it if you didn't want to receive technical assistance. <<

Why open a thread if I wasn't wanting some kind of assistance? Well the answer there is to alert Acronis to the problems in the software and if we are being completely honest (like you say!) then you'll admit this is more than "adjusting the product to my system". If I test it on a very simple clean Windows 7 system (like I did) and I encounter a number of problems (some worse than others) then I'm pretty quickly going to lose confidence in the software. Seeing Acronis' motto/slogan is "Compute with confidence" I find this somewhat ironic. And if we are still being honest you should be able to see that if a user runs into not one, not two, but multiple problems in a short space of time they are not going to be very motivated to work through those issues, UNLESS they already bought the software. Lucky for me this is a trial.

>> We also always forward your negative requests to the Management team for them to be aware of the situation. <<

Great! This is the intent of the thread. If you check my history I was here about 18 months ago also, and at the time also had a bad trial experience, but I just moved on at the time, hoping things would get better. This time I thought it pertinent to voice an opinion in the hope that I might be heard; that is all. I used to think that Acronis products were great, and I am convinced they still can be, but there seems to be a serious lack of QA going into the released product. I hope that Acronis management take notice and some quality is restored to what once was a reliable brand of software.

>> Re deleted thread <<

I did say that I wasn't a fan of the new version, sure, but if I recall my post was about Windows 7 backup no longer working due to registry entries left by the Acronis installer with a link to a fix (but probably not one Acronis sanctions since it's 3rd party). As you can imagine I was already frustrated and so after having to jump through additional hoops to uninstall the software was further annoyed to find out that the installer hadn't removed all traces of the software and caused a conflict. I don't think my post was just random dig at Acronis, but I'll move on.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers.

Henk
Forum Member

Hello Wayne H,

You may want to use the clean up routine anyway. After uninstal Acronis leaves filter drivers behind, which may get you into problems later.

See http://forum.acronis.com/forum/27907

Henk.

Wayne H
Beginner

Thanks for the link; yes I did go through the registry and clean that stuff up and have manually deleted the filter driver. My computers didn't blue screen on start-up so I figure I got it right. I got the clean-up instructions from a 3rd party competitor program that itself detects that Acronis doesn't uninstall properly and won't install until those remnants are cleaned up! (It seems the competitor apps are on to Acronis too!)

I did also take a quick look at some of the threads you suggested. There is some interesting content in those threads; it's somewhat vindicating to realize that I am not alone in my complaints.

Since writing my initial thread above and also reading the others here I have all but confirmed in my own mind which 3rd party software I will be using to replace Acronis TIH v11. That software has less features even than v11 and is more expensive than TIH, but based on my testing over the last 2 days it is most definitely robust (also fast), and that peace of mind is definitely worth paying for when you need it most.

Cheers.