30906: Restoring over WiFi

3 replies [Last post]
Bernard Cosell
Forum Member

Has anything changed/improved on restoring over WiFi? I found the oldish threads that basically made it sound pretty heroic to get get set up to restore over WiFI -- is there any easier way available? Thanks! /bernie\

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Bernard,

WiFi connections performance is always much below the announced maximum bandwidth. Aside from the obvious (faster wireless, wired connection or local USB), I am not sure what the alternatives are ...

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Bernard Cosell
Forum Member

I know they're not as fast as a wired connection, but in my case the speed isn't that much of an issue. And the posts I read about how to "wifi enable" the recovery disk were really scary and hard/tricky. I wouldn't have thought it would be that big a deal to include 802.1 drivers on the Linux recovery disk and leave the speed question aside [although I admit I don't know a lot about the world of linux drivers and how hard it is to make the re0covery disk]. Oh well... wired isn't an option but I guess I can try to find my old USB external drive and see if I can get that to work..

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ah, yes. Good catch: wireless support on the recovery CD. Has been a problem. You've got to try it and/or upgrade to WinPE. But again, better to rely on USB.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614