30986: Cloning function of ATIH2011, German function, delivers wrong partitions on target drive

6 replies [Last post]
peter blomeyer
Beginner

Hi,
I've been trying to generate a clone of my 1TB-drive on an external 1TB-USB-drive.
1st I generated 3 partitions on the target drive with identical size of the source drive partitions:"L" primary active 100MB, "M" 200GB logical for my programs and "N" 731,4GB logical for my data.
then I started the Cloning function (I tried both, automatic and manual).
ATIH2011 acknowledges the migration plan with the correct drive IDs and sizes (both those of the source drive).
After starting execution the system asks for a restart, and continues working for a few hours.
Finally, the PC goes into a hibernating status- after waking it up, it shows the "L" system-partition, a "F"-partition with the program and the remaining 731,4GB as "not aaigned" and empty.
Does someone has an idea what I am doing wrong?
tnx and rds
PB

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you use the clone function, you will get an exact copy of your disk onto the USB. There is no point preparing that disk with partitions. Everything on the target disk will be erased, including the partition system.

Do the clone from the recovery CD, not from Windows.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

peter blomeyer
Beginner

Tnx fr yr help!!
I'll try that- but what do you mean with "Do the clone from the recovery CD"?
the recovery CD does not contain any executable file, not to mention a cloning function menue...
rds
P.B.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Yes, the recovery CD should feature the clone function unless you have a trial version. When you boot the computer on it, you will see a Linux version of 2011 that looks like 2010 on Windows.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

peter blomeyer
Beginner

Tnx again, Pat L.
cloning worked the way you described in yr answers (I'm wondering, why this procedure does not show up in all Acronis docu I looked at...).
nevertheless, thanks to yr comments, I've been able to generate a clone on a USB-HD. Unfortunately, the PC does not boot frm the clone (I had selected USB-HD as 1st boot device, CDROM as 2nd and Int HD as 3rd).
When looking at the cloning result (before trying to boot frm it), explorer shows different drive letters for the source HD (J:, C:, D:) and for the cloning result (F:, G: and H:). should it look this way?
would be great, if you have some more answers for me!
rds
P.B.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Put the clone in the same boot position as original disk. Disconnect the data cables on any other internal disk attached and try the reboot.

Here is link to Acronis article on cloning.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2931

peter blomeyer
Beginner

thank you!
P.B.