31062: Problems with Acronis True Image 2012

2 replies [Last post]
David Watts
Beginner

Long time user of ATI 2009, I decided to check out the trial version of ATI 2012 despite the reported problems.

Tried to install it twice after uninstalling ATI 2009, first with Revo, then with the ATI cleanup. Both times it hung during installation (seemed to be near the end). After stopping the process, and trying to deinstall it to start again, the PC hung on shutdown and subsequently on reboot. Had to restore using an ATI 2009 backup on both occasions.

Tried in on another PC and it installed OK. However the email notification is broken (as reported in other threads), and Acronis don't seem to be doing anything about it. Also, I couldn't find any way to set the "From" email address.

Finally, the backup that I kicked off on the 2nd PC failed during verification.

Can't be bothered to waste any more time on this product. Don't think I'll be buying it any time soon.

David

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Did you try using msconfig while uninstalling/installing? This can help prevent conflicts that can muck up the uninstall/install of driver files.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

David Watts
Beginner

Hi Scott

To be honest I haven't pursued this as far as I could on my main computer. I'm sure there's something in my PC's setup that is preventing the install, that with sufficient time & effort could be fixed, that's why I tried it on a different PC altogether (both run XP), and it did install OK there. However, as I mentioned, the first attempt to take an image backup failed during validation. That and the problems with the email notification process mean that I won't be wasting any more time on this product unless I really have to.

I have started looking at Macrium Reflect, and initial indications are that it "just works". I have yet to try it on my main computer though, and would need to test it more thoroughly to gain sufficient confidence in it.

I was a very happy user of TIH 2009, and recommended it and the 2010 version to my Customers (I run a small Home Computer Service business), successfully installing and configuring both versions on their behalf. Indeed, I developed a set of routines to manage backup cycles based on either version.

I was recently asked by a Customer to provide a robust backup solution, and as I can't buy the 2010 version any more, I thought I'd take a look at the 2012 version.

It is impossible for me to recommend a backup product in which I have simply lost confidence, the risks are too great, and I'd be in the firing line, not Acronis. That's why I'm looking at alternatives.

David.