3146: 83GB of "unallocated space" on new drive after clone of old drive

12 replies [Last post]
Janet Brotherton
Beginner

I had a 160g hard drive in my laptop and it ran out of space. I bought acronis true image home (2009 version) and cloned my 160g hard drive onto a 250g hard drive in an external USB enclosure. The clone went fine and when I took the 250g drive out of the enclosure and installed it into my laptop, it booted normally. It was an exact copy of my old hard drive, which I wanted because I have a lot of programs that I don't have back-up cd's for.

HOWEVER, I installed it onto a 250g hard drive, but when I click onto the drive manager it says I have 142g of c:\ space, 25g d:\ recovery partition (which is normal for HP laptops) but 83g of "unallocated space!!!!!"

I know that I can create a simple volume and make that space f:\ or g:\ or whatever, but the point of me buying acronis was to get a bigger primary drive! I don't want to be dealing with saving things to f:\ versus c:\ and making sure the files open correctly because certain programs are on c:\ so if the files from that program are saved onto F:\ they won't open or whatever.

Can anyone help me- I tried looking around the acronis program to see if there was a utility to extend the c:\ to fill the space, but coudn't find anything.

Thanks!

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Janet:

You can use what we refer to as the Secure Zone Trick. Use the program to create a Secure Zone (SZ) in the unallocated space. Do not activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manger when you do this. Immediately after creating the SZ, go back and remove it. Choose to give the space formerly occupied by the SZ to your C: partition.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

In addition to what Kolo said, you should do that using the bootable Rescue Media CD. 

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Or you can do a google search for gparted, which is a better than decent yet free partitioning program that you can burn to CD and use to change partitions on yur pc.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Seekforever
Frequent Poster

It could be caused by a different CHS geometry some laptops use. If you cannot see any extra unallocated space with the other methods suggested then this is probably the cause. A "reverse clone" is the recommended way to correct it. Put the laptop's original drive into the enclosure and the new drive in the laptop. Now clone to the new drive. The laptop will then use the geometry it desires when structuring the information coming to it from the original drive in the USB box. This apparently can be a problem with HP, Compaq, IBM and maybe others.

You will have to use the options to expand the partitions as desired or else you will only get the original size and unallocated space regardless of what method you use.

george jones
Beginner

I used 2009,went from a 160 to 500gb drive.... and now it shows 417gb "unallocated". And, I am a complete novice when it comes to managing partitions. Went thru forums y'day and read everything I could find, then tried several  solutions suggested there: your suggested use of Secure Zones, as well as MBRWork, and gpared (or something like that). The SZ trick didn't work for me at all.... but being a novice maybe I didn't do it right.

In using the other sugg, all I succeeded in doing was making my HD unbootable... had to do a another complete restore... w/same unallocated  space result.

Can you be more specific about the exact steps to go thru in the SZ trick? Do you create the SZ in the Acronis program and delete it from the Acronis rescue disk? I'm lost in the partition wilderness.

Thanks.

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

George Jones, see this link in the old forum:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1044452&postcount=2

If it still doesn't work for you, then I would suggest you do the Image/Recovery way.  First create an Image and put it on a third hard drive.  Then Restore that Image to the large drive - when you do this choose only the C partition to restore and this will give you the option to expand the partition to the full size of the large drive.  You will then be asked if you want to restore another partition.  Choose yes and then select the MBR/Track 0.

If you do not have a third drive, and if the Image is small enough to fit on the 160Gb, then first use the 500Gb as the destination for the Image and transfer it to the 160 before doing the Restore.

Donald Graham
Beginner

Hi - Don from Australia. Installed Acronis True Image and followed instructions and was horrified to find half of my HDD became unallocated. My thanks to Kolo and DwnNdrty for their comments. Followed these and recovered almost all of the missing space. Why isn't this proceedure in the manual??

Howler
Howler's picture
Beginner

Try Partition Wizard 4.2, it's free from CNET and works great. No virus or any malware comes with it that I can tell. I've used it several times to delete partitions, and increase the size of partitions using unallocated space. Note, it does most of the work on a reboot before starting windows. Best of all, it's FREE.
http://download.cnet.com/Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3010-2094_4-11119...

AttachmentSize
cnet_partition_wizard.jpg 224.99 KB
denisbloud
denisbloud's picture
Beginner

The best solution to recover blocked allocated space abusively created by the unmature Acronis 2010 program -which I experienced- is to uninstall 2010 and to reinstall Acronis 11 ! This old program will immediately detect the enormous (45 Go for me!) ASZ and will offer the option to DELETE it, which I did with great pleasure and after a very short while, I could see again my former C disk with its genuine 85 Go, instead of the mean 46 Go left usable by Acronis 2010 ! There is just a minimum partition of 15 Mo which I could not remove, labelled "Recovery partition" Compaq, but the trick is done!

DBL

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello all,

I understand the question and will do everything possible from my side to give you a clear explanation.

Everyone who faced the similar issue as Janet use the following step-by-step instructions for cloning laptop hard drive in order to avoid possible problems.

The important point to remember is that you need to put the new drive in the laptop first, and connect the old one via USB. Only after this you may do the cloning. Otherwise you will not be able to boot from the new cloned drive.

You can do the cloning from Acronis Bootable Media. If you choose Acronis Bootable Media, you do not need to have an operating system and an Acronis product installed on the new drive.

You can also do the cloning from Windows. In this case you will need to have both Windows and an Acronis product installed on the new drive.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Mick Trunzo
Beginner

Dmitry,
Are the step by step instructions you provided for 2010 only or are they identical for TI 9.0 Home? If not identical, can you provide step by step instructions for TI 9.0?

Also, once I replace the current OS HD with the new HD and put the "just removed" OS HD into my external drive bay for cloning, will I boot from the bootable rescue CD or is the program CD bootable as well?

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Mick,
The same instructions would be applicable for V9. Boot from the must current user created Rescue CD that you have in you are cloning.

Additional help for v9 can be found in my index. Click on my signature link and look at item 7-C.