31822: Acronis 2012 cannot Clone System disk

10 replies [Last post]
Michael Jaffe
Beginner

If I try to clone my system disk with all my programs and operating system (Windows 7 Ultimate) on it, Acronis will not clone. I have tried through Windows and using the boot disk without success. I have disabled all USB disk readers and still no success. Acronis shuts down when I try to boot through Windows. I get a sign that it fails to clone if I use the boot disk and the computer shuts down. Are there any programs that interferes with Acronis? Any other suggestions? Originally when I purchased Acronis True Image 2012, it cloned my boot-programs hard drive well. Suddenly, for no reason that I can think of, it stopped. It will clone my data disk. I have upgraded it to the latest version and re-installed it with no success. I would appreciate your help.

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Welcome Michael,
I can't tell by your post what the problem you are experiencing is exactly? You are having difficulty cloning, but your Acronis app "shuts down" when you try to clone in windows? You also stated you receve errors when you try cloning after booting from acronis media.

It would be helpful to have a little history and the steps you tried which didn't work.

What build # are you working with? What type of system are you working on. Are you cloning to a larger/smaller disk?

Better yet, can you please generate an Acronis System Report and post it here for us to review.

Link on how to generate a report

http://kb.acronis.com/content/23989

Sys1: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5, 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w PSU, EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature2, 2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot), 1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult. Case: HAF 922, ATI 2012 Plus Build #7133. Win8.1 Pro x64 2013 Plus Build #6514, QNAP TS-219P-II NAS - Sys2: P8Z77-V-LE PLUS, i5 3570k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, TX750w PSU, GTX 560Ti DS SC, Intel 520 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Black - Sys3: Surface Pro 2 - Win 8.1 128GB

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Hi Michael,
In addition to what Shadowsports has suggested,
If cloning is the method used, the most successful vehicle for cloning is to use the bootable media recovery CD. Here is a link to the Acronis KB article on cloning.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2931

Often times, disk errors on the source disk can prevent a successful clone so you may want to check the disk for errors.

If you are using the automatic cloning, try the manual method which offers more control over partition sizes.

Another alternative is not to use cloning but use the backup and restore method of creating a replacement disk.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Why are you using Clone instead of a full disk Backup? Your cloning of a data disk suggests that perhaps you don't really need Clone. You would likely be better off doing a full disk Backup and Restore instead.

Let us know why you want to use Clone, so we can understand. In most cases, a full disk Backup is a better method than Clone.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

paul cohen
Beginner

I just purchased an SSD and am trying to put the contents of my C drive onto it.

I used the recovery method from a backup ( as I have used in the past from HDD to HDD in case of virus, etc) and it put everything on the SSD, but it will not boot, and is not recognized in BIOS.

I went to a forum and they said I must use the Cloning method, but my C drive is on my main HDD ( on a partition) and the choices will not allow me to do so.

If I choose the main drive, and click next, it says the drive I have picked for the destination has info on it, yet I have not picked any drive.

This is the version that comes with Seagate drives - Build 14.382.

If this will not work, I was advised to purchase the Paragon program.

Any advice appreciated.

AttachmentSize
discwizard_clone_pic.jpg 182.59 KB
disc_mgmt_of_ssd.jpg 172 KB
GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

You will not be able to use the clone feature as your source has more partitions and is too large. When using Acronis software, the clone feature creates a 2nd identical disk--not a copy of a single partition.

You should be able to accomplish what you want using the backup and recovery feature of the disk wizard. I have not used the Seagate version but here is the procedures.

Assuming you have Win7 or Vista installed.
1. You need a backup of to include your System Recovery partition plus the Drive C partition.
2. Use the CD and restore the 100MB System Recovery Partition backup first. Do not resize. Retain the 100 mb size (or close) Be sure this partition is marked as the active partition.
3. After item 2 is completed, then restore the Drive C backup.
4.. Upon completion, If system does not boot, use the Windows Recovery CD and do a repair. You may need to do the repair more than once.

This link could provide some help via item #1.
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/29618

Before starting the backup recovery, you will want to install the SD in its intended boot connector and the source disk can be placed elsewhere. Boot from the CD and perform the backup recovery.

paul cohen
Beginner

I followed your directions, restored mbr first and then C drive backup.
It is not recognized in the BIOS.

Where do I get a Windows Recovery CD that you mentioned?

I thought I could just clone a partition - guess not.
Would I be better off just eliminating the second partition, which would just leave the OS on the drive and then clone that?
Thanks for you help.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Paul,
Look at your 2TB disk inside Windows Disk Management.
Note partition 1 is the System Reserve which a 100mb size and is the active partition. This is a non-lettered partition and your system will not boot unless it is restored. The size is only 100megabyte which is insignificant to the whole disk.
This must be included in your backup and must be the first partition restored. This has nothing to do with the mbr/track0 listing.

If during the prior restore, the 100 mb partition was not listed, then it was not included in the backup and you must do a new backup to include the 100mb partition.

While the elimination of the largest partition might help, you may still have difficulty with clone. That would be my last resort.

As for the Windows Recovery CD, try looking under the start menu, program, under a maintenance header and burn your own Windows REcovery Cd.

Other program title their copy as a clone so other program will clone (copy) a partition. Acronis uses the backup/restore method to do the same thing others call a partition clone. Different words but same methods.

paul cohen
Beginner

Thanks for reply.

I transferred everything on the second partition and this allowed the cloning operation.

It shows in Disc Management, but not in BIOS, so I don't know how to boot from it.

AttachmentSize
ssd_pic_831_pm.jpg 287.19 KB
GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Disconnect all your data cables so only the ssd disk is attached.
The SSD should be attached using the same mb connector as the old disk.
Boot from the Win7 Windows factory recovery disk which you created.
Execute the repair option several times until it boots. The repair function only fixes one issue each repair so it may take repeat repairs in order to get it working.
After you get the SSD working properly, then you can re-attach the other disks.

You may also find this link helpful.

MVP Pat L --how to install ssd.
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/31423#comment-97606

hhansard
Regular Poster

==> It is not recognized in the BIOS.

this is the key phrase. not recognized by the bios has nothing to do with cloning and everything to do with connectivity. get connectivity first and verify within your working OS environment, then worry about cloning.