31929: True Image 10, 11: Clone works only in "automatic" mode

4 replies [Last post]
Ward Christensen
Beginner

Hi, I Love the Acronis products, but realized tonight I'd forgotten what doesn't work as advertised and I never reported.

When I have a new larger laptop drive, I mount it in an external enclosure and fire up True Image (10 or 11) and do the clone function.

I want to adjust my partition sizes (such as to not double the size of a recovery partition unnecessarily).

I select the source entire disk, the destination disk, manually, size the first partition, size the second partition, but when I proceed "poof" there is no more Acronis running.

This has happened FOR SURE with True Home 11, and I believe has happened to me so often that it probably goes back to 10 also. "I suddenly recalled /Oh yah, I have to do automatic because manual doesn't work/ and again, automatic worked, while manual just disappears (no messages, no errors, no nothing, but task manager says there's nothing running).

Thanks for any help!

Ward Christensen
Beginner

Dummy reply in order to click "Notify Me" which I didn't see on my initial item.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Check out the resources in this link.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/29618

Item 10 is a KB article by Acronis on cloning. It is suggested that the target be placed inside the computer in its intended boot position and the cloning be done when booted from the Bootable Media such as a CD.

Your best results would be to do a complete backup and then create the new disk via a restore in single partition sequence. This is illustrated in item #1 at the link.

I don't use cloning due to its risk factor bit if cloning, the manual method would be preference so the control partition sizes. This is also illustrated in item #11 in the link. Unfortunately, Acronis initially shows the partitions at a predetermined proportionate setting and the user has the begin the resizing by undoing the sizes put there by the program.

Another option would be to use the Manual option with the move method to be "as Is". Afterwards, you would need to use a partitioning software to resize the partitions to your needs.

Summary. You do have a few choices as to how this could be done. One of the options should work. Boot from the Bootable media for best results.

Older versions of TrueImage may have difficulty seeing some of the newer style disks.

Ward Christensen
Beginner

Hi, thanks!

I ONLY use Acronis for cloning, as to me the best backup method is a combination:
1) periodic CLONES of the hard disk, which when done the NEW one is put in use and the previous placed on the shelf
(I've had to go back and load that old drive - for "instant" access to my applications)

2) continually (nearly daily) back up my DATA using rsync to an external NAS, and if away from it too long, to local USB keys, etc.

SO I was REALLY looking to see if someone knew why my cloning with manual partition sizing wasn't working (my best hope: I was doing something wrong) but I suspect since it just "disappears" and has not worked in several versions, that it is a true bug. Automatic worked.

If I use cloning to go to a larger drive, I always want my C: partition to STAY at 80G as I want it SMALL as it is the main part of the clone that of course needs recovering in case of failure; so not being able to resize (add more or larger partitions to the end) makes me have to clone "automatically", making the partitions the wrong size, then having to go back and use Disk Director to shrink them, etc.

Grover, why do you fear cloning? It has always worked perfectly for me. (except for manual resizing) I do 100% laptops, and fortunately the Thinkpad ultra bay allows me to put a new hard drive there. This last clone had to be done externally, and in a way I was surprised it worked since Acronis boots into a non-OS mode (and the surprise was that it recognized the external USB drive)

Thanks again!

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Hi Ward,
The Thinkpad has unique disk feature and the use of ultra bay offers several other options. Click in my signature link below and look at item #3-VV. That specific link has 4 different references about the Thinkpad. You may find them helpful and hopefully informative.

It is not that I fear cloning, it just I don't see its advantages over restoration of a backup. From my perspective, its only benefit is slightly faster disk creation but offset by the safety risk of by a user mistake or a mechanical or software malfunction. For testing purposes, I do clones each time a new build or version comes out so I am aware of the procedures plus any program changes..

Inside my signature link below, I have a guide there (item 3-T) on how to clone to a larger disk (or smaller) using the manual/manual method. I also prefer the manual method as it is the only cloning method which offers control to the user regarding partition sizes. Unfortunately, TI start out the manual method with the partitions sized proportionately so the user has to undo the initial sizes before they can begin to control their own sizes.

I have no problem if others prefer the cloning method. In my postings, I just try to make sure they understand there is a risk factor and the risk can be mitigated by having a backup safety valve if something goes wrong during the cloning. On a whole, the postings would seem (unofficially) to indicate a better success rate when restoring a backup to a new disk as opposed to the cloning method. Cloning can work well for some and but can be quite finicky for others. Recently, there were several postings where the only clone that would work to a larger drive as the "as is" method which required subsequent adjustments outside of Windows or TrueImage.

My goal is for a successful disk creation regardless of whether cloning or restore method used--as long as a success point is reached. Thank you Ward for your comments and it was nice chatting with you.

Note: The newer versions such as 2012 cloning & restore procedures have been modified to recognize SSD, and partitions starting sectors,, etc. The older version 10 or 11 (not 2010 or 2011) lack that feature and mostly relate to old style disks.