32157: Unable to see *tib files from backup recovery disk?

6 replies [Last post]
Gary Ryan
Beginner

It seems ludicrous, I have a product that sits there all the time and when I actually needed it to recover my files, I find that I am unable to restore anything. The backup *tib files that I have on another fixed drive could not be seen from the recovery disk. I know that windows swaps drive letters around in a recovery environment, but I did check all 4 of my fixed hard drives and nothing was found.

Volkan
Volkan's picture
Forum Moderator

Greetings Gary Ryan,

I truly apologise for the inconvenience and would like to say that I will gladly assist you in resolving your issue.

Just to clarify, please kindly specify whether you have issues seeing the backup archives on the aforementioned hard disks or the hard disk drives themselves in the Linux-environment using Acronis Rescue Media.

In the former case, please kindly check to see if the backups intended for recovery are displayed in the mainscreen of Acronis True Image Home 2012. Do you manage to see the backup tasks from the backup list?

Additionally, you could create a new backup task, and as the destination of the backup location choose a different hard disk drive or a network share, and in turn, try to recover from this very location - to see if the issue results from a different cause.

In the case of the Bootable Media being unable to identify all four hard disk drives, could I refer you to the respective Knowledge Base article that provides the necessary steps that should be taken to resolve a possible hardware incompatibility or device driver issue. Please bear in mind that we provide free support for Data Recovery Issues.

Please kindly notify me of the updates and the details I kindly ask of you at your earliest convenience, so that we may investigate the issue and provide you with the appropriate solution.

Best regards,

Volkan

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here

Gary Ryan
Beginner

Hi Volkan and thanks for your help.
Firstly I am using the latest version (7119) on Windows 7 X64 with bitlocker enabled on all drives. In the recovery environment all of my hard disks show (even usb flash drives), but they show that there is nothing at all on ANY drive!

The main screen of ATIH currently shows 7 versions of one backup as in screenshot.
My backups are set to span multiple drives as my C drive is SSD and it's spanned across onto a new sata drive. All partitions are set to back up in the settings menu. I have just completed a backup onto a different drive but the recovery environment is the same and as described above.

AttachmentSize
acronis.jpg 99.71 KB
acronissystemreport.zip 1.21 MB
Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

ATI is not compatible with BitLocker to the extent that:
- you can use ATI in Window to do backups,
- you cannot use the recovery CD to see the content on protected disks,
- you can restore an image done in Windows using the recovery CD, but your image will be restored unencrypted and you will have to repair your computer to be able to boot properly on the non protected disk.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

If the drive where backups are stored is bitlocker-encrypted, recovery eniironment ( bootable media or ASRM) won't be able to see them.

Gary Ryan
Beginner

Pat L wrote:

ATI is not compatible with BitLocker to the extent that:
- you can use ATI in Window to do backups,
- you cannot use the recovery CD to see the content on protected disks,
- you can restore an image done in Windows using the recovery CD, but your image will be restored unencrypted and you will have to repair your computer to be able to boot properly on the non protected disk.

Thanks, I had a feeling that it might be something to do with bitlocker, but I just assumed that ATIH had some sort of workaround and I guess I assumed too much!

dev-anon wrote:

If the drive where backups are stored is bitlocker-encrypted, recovery eniironment ( bootable media or ASRM) won't be able to see them.

Thanks, I have now decrypted the drive that stores by backups and they do now show from within the recovery environment.
So it seems that bitlocker itself is more of a pain than a gain!

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you are preoccupied with security, you can use EFS to encrypt certain folders on the system disk, without encrypting your entire disk. If you choose to do that, remember to backup your EFS key.

To protect your backup data, you can set ATI to encrypt the backup data. THis can only be done with new tasks.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614