3240: Can Not Perform a Differential Backup - Error Code 5 (x640005)

13 replies [Last post]
Dennis Parra
Beginner

I am using True Image v9.  I performed a FULL BACKUP of my Dell Precision Laptop last week with NO problems. I also performed a FULL BACKUP of an older Toshiba Laptop with NO problems.  Then I performed a differential backup of the Toshiba Laptop with NO problems. (Here comes the BUT) But everytime I try to perform a differential backup of the Dell Precision Laptop it terminates right away with the following LOG ENTRIES:

3. Error    100    5 (0x640005)   8/23/2009   9:15:00 AM   Operation has completed with errors.

That's it, NO IF's, AND's OR BUT's.  Theres no information what has failed.  I've created several new full backups with no problems, but whenever I try to do a differential backup on any of them, I get the same error.

Can anyone help?

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

First of all please make sure that you are using the latest build of the program. Check it in Help -> About. You can always download the latest build of the program from your account under Registered Products.

By the way do you know that according Acronis license policy you can use one license on one computer? I may recommend you to download free trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 and test it. 

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Kneeofight
Beginner

I am having the exact same problem as Dennis.  I am trying to use True Image Home 2009 but it usually ends in failure.

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello Duane,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

Can you please attach the log file with the error message? Please obtain the log file of the failed operation:

- Launch the program;

- Tasks and logs, Log;

- Choose the log entry which contains errors and make right-click on it;

- Select save option and specify the desired location for the log file to save to;

- Send us the log.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Dennis Parra
Beginner

I sorry about the license policy. I'll be happy to get another license for my second laptop.

I have attached my log file as you instructed Duane to do. Maybe it will help.  By the way I have the latest build of the program.

AttachmentSize
2009-08-23-094815.log 588 bytes
Dennis Parra
Beginner

By the tried to install a trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 and the it fails with the error message "Can not update the ini file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\...\Acronis Web Site.url. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."  I tried.

Dennis Parra
Beginner

I sorry about the license policy. I'll be happy to get another license for my second laptop.

I have attached my log file as you instructed Duane to do. Maybe it will help.  By the way I have the latest build of the program.

By the tried to install a trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 and the it fails with the error message

"Can not update the ini file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\...\Acronis Web Site.url.

Verify that the file exists and that you can access it." 

I tried.

AttachmentSize
2009-08-23-094815.log 588 bytes
Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for the provided information.

To resolve the issue with the failed task please please re-start Acronis scheduler and recreate the task.

- Download a special Acronis utility;
- Start the Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
- Run the following commands in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr task zap
schedmgr service stop
schedmgr service uninstall
schedmgr service install
schedmgr service start

This should delete all Acronis tasks on the PC. You should manage your tasks from the scratch. Execute a backup operation and see if the issue remains.

If the issue persists, please download Acronis Scheduler, which is a special utility to update the scheduler service. The link is available here

Extract the downloaded file, run install.bat and wait for the process to be completed. The utility will automatically update the service. Reboot the computer and re-create the task. The issue should be resolved.

About the installation failure. What is your operating system?

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

john pocock
Beginner

I have TI 10.0 purchased 2006.
Using the scheduler I can perform a Full Image Backup of My Computer, but the Diff and Incremental bacups do not work. They produce the Log entry " completed with errors"
I have tried to follow the instructions in Post 3240 by ACRONIS MODERATOR but the "Command prompt" does not work. I only seem to get "unknown command" message.
I have downloaded schedmgr, but that doesn't seem to help.
At the moment I am waiting patiently for help from Acronis Customer service.
I need detailed help

Diego Gonzalez
Beginner

I cannot restore from my incremental backup.
Error: "insert media marked volume 3".
Here's the scenario:
The original backup was a full one, subsequent ones are incremental.
The incremental ones run daily and this is the first time I experience this problem.
I validated the original backup successfully but I haven't been able to validate the latest ones or previous ones.
This issue started yesterday morning and prior to that never had a problem restoring data.
I created a new backup and restore and ran successfully but I still need to access the old data.
Please help.

kaarina
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem, with same error message. Log file attached.

It's very aggravating to wait an hour or more and to see that much or most of the task has been carried out, yet all to no avail - I'm still without an updated backup and who is to know when a hard disk might decide to fail...? Acronis is only value for money to the extent that it can be relied-upon!

AttachmentSize
2010-01-08-131146.log 3.85 KB
Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'll do my best to assist you with the issue.

John Pocock, could you please clarify how did you try to perform the commands? Basically, you need to save schedmgr.exe file, for example, to the root of your C drive. Then go to Start -> Run and type in 'cmd' (without quotation marks). This will start a Command Prompt.

Then issue the following commands:

cd \
schedmgr task zap
schedmgr service stop
schedmgr service uninstall
schedmgr service install

Those actions will update Acronis Scheduler service.

Diego Gonzalez, could you please let me know where you have saved your backups? Additionally, what do you mean by "I haven't been able to validate the latest ones or previous ones". Were those backups corrupted?

Robert Horwood, I may recommend you to validate all created backups and consolidate your backups manually.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Bill Nunnery
Beginner

Backups of image, data, email, and system state complete successfully but I get a warning message: failed to consolidate backups. Log shows 2 attempts to consolidate before I get error message. Version ATIH 2009. I have not tried to restore so I don't know if the error message is something to worry about.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you have auto-consolidation turned on, it has failed. This can be because you don't have enough space left on your disk. Auto-consolidation tends to create large temporary files. Once the temp file is completed, then the backups it will replace are deleted, and the temp file is renamed.

Disable auto-consolidation and just run a simple chain of full + incrementals. Limit the number of incrementals before a new full so that you last full never gets too old for you to be comfortable getting back to. You can use auto-cleaning options to avoid keeping too many chains. Remember that ATi will always create a new backup before deleting a previous one.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614