32666: acronis true image 2011 media builder not detecting USB hard drive

5 replies [Last post]
faisal rafiq
Offline
Beginner
Joined: 2012-06-15
Posts: 3

I want to create backup of my PC by making a bootable media so that in case if OS crashes I can boot from the image.But the problem is when I connect my external hard drive western Digital & click crate bootable media acronis true image 2011 does not detect my external drive it only shows DVD drive. What could be the problem?

Pat L
Offline
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP
Joined: 2010-11-30
Posts: 7840

You cannot create a bootable disk out of a USB disk by design. You can do it from a USB Flash drive, not a rotating USB disk.

__________________

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

faisal rafiq
Offline
Beginner
Joined: 2012-06-15
Posts: 3

Thanks for this information. Can you guide me how I can make a bootable image of my C drive so in case if my OS crashes I can recover it with that bootable DVD. and in case if my C drive is around 20 or 30GB then I have to write that bootable image to a blu-ray DVD?

thanks

Pat L
Offline
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP
Joined: 2010-11-30
Posts: 7840

If your backup doesn't fit on a single blu-ray, don't use blu-ray, first of all. ATI is a pain to work with when the backup spans multiple disk.
But the typical scenario is the following:
- the backups are stored on a USB disk ("as big" as you want, knowing that if you go beyond 2TB, you will have a GPT disk, and you will need the Plus Pack to support GPT disks, or upgrade to 2012)
- a bootable CD or USB flash drive (doesn't need to be very big. a 1GB flash drive would be enough!. Use the media builder to create that recovery medium. You can then boot your computer on it, and that will launch ATI running in Linux. You can then restore your image from there.

Create a disk and partition backup that contains all the partititions of your system disk. If the backup is "too big", post a screenshot of your Windows disk management console (right click the computer icon on your desktop, choose manage, storage, disk management).

Then create your recovery medium. Boot your computer on it. Restore a couple of files from your backup. If this work, you are in good shape, and you will be able to recover your computer.

__________________

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

faisal rafiq
Offline
Beginner
Joined: 2012-06-15
Posts: 3

I would much appreciate your help till now, I have few questions though.
1. In reply to my first message you wrote" You cannot create a bootable disk out of a USB disk by design".
what I have understood from this is that I cannot make a direct image of my hard drive of C drive to a USB disk that can be bootable. Correct?
2. You again wrote "the backups are stored on a USB disk ("as big" as you want"
This implies that first I should take backup of my whole hard drive or C drive by using ATIH ( in Tib format) & then I have to create bootable media (flash drive or CD disk) using media builder.Correct?
3. How can I boot my PC by using a USB flash drive, in case recovery medium is USB flash drive?

Thanks.

Pat L
Offline
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP
Joined: 2010-11-30
Posts: 7840

faisal rafiq wrote:

I would much appreciate your help till now, I have few questions though.
1. In reply to my first message you wrote" You cannot create a bootable disk out of a USB disk by design".
what I have understood from this is that I cannot make a direct image of my hard drive of C drive to a USB disk that can be bootable. Correct?


Not with ATI out of the box. You can store a TIB file on a USB disk and make this disk bootable with ATI running on it, but you will have to use a 3rd party tool like Grub4DOS to do that.

Quote:

2. You again wrote "the backups are stored on a USB disk ("as big" as you want"
This implies that first I should take backup of my whole hard drive or C drive by using ATIH ( in Tib format) & then I have to create bootable media (flash drive or CD disk) using media builder.Correct?

Yes, this is the most common and the most reliable way to image your computer, out of the box with ATI.

Quote:

3. How can I boot my PC by using a USB flash drive, in case recovery medium is USB flash drive?

Most relatively recent PC can boot from a USB flash drive. Boot your computer, and hit F2 immediately and repetitively until you enter the BIOS settings. Look for the BOOT settings, make sure that Boot from USB device is enabled and a the top of the list, before the system hard disk. If your computer don't support USB boot, simply use a recovery CD.

Thanks.

[/quote]

__________________

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614