32833: Acronis True Image 2012 will not start

27 replies [Last post]
Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

I have just installed Acronis True Image 2012 on a new (to me) computer. It is Windows 7 64 bit. The install proceeds fine, but when done I cannot start the program. I have rebooted, I have uninstalled, then reinstalled, get the same thing. When I go to the start menu, choose Acronis True Image Home, I get an hourglass for a few seconds, but nothing else. The program never comes up. Can anyone offer some suggestions?
Thanks

Michael Pauser
Beginner

Sadly I have the same issue, same OS.

When I click the icon to launch TrueImage.exe, the UI never appears. The only way I've gotten the UI to appear is to goto the task launcher, kill the TIMounterMonitor.exe, TrueImageMonitor.exe and finally the TrueImage.exe. Once all 3 are killed, re-clicking the icon will finally launch the TrueImage UI.

I also have an issue where my scheduled backups are not occurring. Before you jump all over me for killing those other processes, I don't normally do that. TIMounterMonitor.exe and TrueImageMonitor.exe sit there and do their stuff. . .which unfortunately appears to be nothing. I've had True Image installed for ~7 days and in that time, it only did 1 backup which was the initial backup I created after the first install. Nothing has happened since.

I think I'll try to get a refund.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Try to uninstall, create a clean boot environment with msconfig, then reboot and reinstall. That's the best way to verify there is no third party software conflict. Might still be an issue with a device attached to the computer.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

Thanks, Pat. I've just tried that, ultra clean boot, reinstall. The reinstall went fine, no errors or anything. Rebooted back to normal... and still nothing at all happens when I try to run the program.
Any other thoughts?

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

If possible, can you turn off your Anti-virus for a period of time.

Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

Thanks. Turned off Anti virus program... same thing, Acronis will not start.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Jonathan,

Is this a brand name PC? If it is can you check to see what utilities are auto loaded at log on?

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

Hi; it is an Asus computer. I've already turned off all startup programs before installing it...

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Jonathan,

When you installed in the clean boot environment, did you verify that all Microsoft services are enabled (while the non-Microsoft ones should be disabled).

Can you try to disconnect the devices hooked up to your computer and see if that makes a difference?

Does your computer have an integrated card reader?

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

Hi Pat

I had to manually start the MS Installer service... the install proceeded fine, it is just running the program that is a problem.

I don't have any devices other than a mouse and keyboard...

It does have a built in card reader.

thanks,
Jonathan

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Bingo - the card reader could most definitely be the problem - sometimes TIH tries to find all drives and the card reader is reporting itself as a drive, but it isn't mounted and TIH just goes around in a cricle.

Temporarily disable the card - reboot and see if the problem disappears. If it does, then at least Acronis will know where to look to solve the problem.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

Hi Colin;

Well, I can give it a try... how exactly would I disable an internal card reader?

thanks,
Jonathan

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Go into Windows Device Manager and disable the driver plus check to see if there are any entries in MS Config which will need to be unticked.

To get to Device Manager, hold down the Windows Button + Pause Break - Select Device Manager from the left hand link on the panel that pops up.

Find the card reader entry, double click and select 'disable'.

To run MSConfig - either click on the start button and enter MSConfig into the search box or use the Windows Button + R and then type in 'msconfig', click on the 'Startup' tab check to see if anything looks as though it belongs to the card reader and untick it.

Reboot.

Colin

Jonathan Parminter
Beginner

Thanks Colin, but still no go. I think I'm ready to give up. Too bad, I've been using it for a couple of years now. But, I have other problems on my other computer with it as well, so it hasn't been serving my needs anyway.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

David Flory
Beginner

Did this problem ever get solved? I have the same issue. Install seems to work fine but program will not start.

David Flory
Beginner

Info added: I see the TrueImage.exe and TrueImageMonitor.exe processes in Task Manager but no GUI opens. I have run the install repair.

I am running Win7 64bit on a Lenovo W520.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

David,
If you see trueimage.exe in the process list, end all the copies of it, and then try to start the program again.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my Customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

ecca
Beginner

James F wrote:

David,
If you see trueimage.exe in the process list, end all the copies of it, and then try to start the program again.

Doing this will remove the Boot Sequence Management option from Tools and Utilities\Protection Tools. Once this option is removed, the software will start correctly.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ecca,

What do you mean stopping the extra instances of Trueimage.exe removes the Boot Sequence Manager option? Are you thinking of something else?

That option will automatically not appear if you are not running either Vista or Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise editions. It doesn't work on Windows 8 either because there is only the Professional or Enterprise Editions around.

Colin

Jeff Anderson
Beginner

FWIW, I had the same problem with ATI 2012 not starting exactly as described by the original poster shortly after installing it. I too had uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. In disgust when it happened I sent Acronis an angry message asking for a refund (even though I believe my 30 days were over). The Acronis agent asked to take over my PC using Teamviewer and I allowed it. He got ATI working and said something about some Acronis thing that had not stopped correctly. He did what he did and then ATI started normally.

I should have insisted on a refund but did not. However, this is really unacceptable in a product. That and some other problems I have discovered since (discussed in another thread) convinces me that the Acronis programmers are just not upto doing their job properly. I do not think I will ever purchase another Acronis product.

If any Acronis official is reading this, please note that you should voluntarily refund my purchase price because this is a defective product.

Ntrospktv
Beginner

Workaround for TIH 2012 not starting. I'm having the same problem after a recent system update. I get the user account control dialog and give TIH permission to run, mouse pointer spins briefly and then nothing happens. Running Windows 64-bit.

WORKAROUND: From Control Panel, User Accounts->Change User Account Control settings (bottom of page). Set notification to never notify. Reboot. TIH now runs fine for me. When you're done using TIH, reset user account control settings back to default and reboot again, because it is unwise to have notification off. This workaround is obviously far from ideal, but may keep you from tearing your hair out. Hope it works for you!

Ntrospktv
Beginner

SOLUTION: Try installing optional update (KB2709981) for Windows 7 64-bit. I just noticed that my Windows Update manager had this as an optional update. I installed it and now Acronis True Image Home 2012 starts properly. Best wishes for success!

AttachmentSize
kb2709981.png 148.04 KB
James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Jeff,
I'm sorry you are having problems with your Acronis products. The official way to leave feedback to Acronis is here: http://www.acronis.com/support/feedback.html
This forum is here for people to seek help from others, and to offer support/solutions based on their use of these products. It is not a place to leave feedback directed for, or to, Acronis.
If you are still having problems you would like help with, feel free to post them and see what others have done to fix them, or workarounds they have used to bypass limitations or flaws within the program. If you have found fixes or workarounds that may help others, be sure to post them as well.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ntrospktv,
Thank you for providing this information. Hopefully this will help others with this problem as well.

What I tell my friends:

David Flory
Beginner

The suggestion of killing the TrueImage.exe process(es) in Task Manager seems to work. However, it is at best a work-around not a true solution.

There is clearly a bug in the latest version of Acronis True Image Home 2012 that causes this problem. Further, the program should not just silently fail. The installer pops up a message if the errant processes are running. The main program should do the same!

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

David Flory wrote:

The suggestion of killing the TrueImage.exe process(es) in Task Manager seems to work. However, it is at best a work-around not a true solution.

I don't think this is as simple as just an Acronis problem, I also get this occasionally with Firefox and Dopus (a file manager) where by they are assigned a handle by Windows (I assume this is how they entrer the running tasks list) but the GUI never starts, when TaskManager is checked there are multiple Firefox32 entries (I've a 64bit W7 Ult system) or Dopus entries. Killing all the entries then allows the GUIs of the repsective programs to appear.

It might be that this happens due to an Acronis product being installed it is true, as I have ABR11 installed on the machine that does this the most, and that is causing a clash with something deeper int he OS or the OS has a bug whereby this condition can under a certain set of circumstances occur.

I have my suspicions that my ATI video drivers might have a role to play.

Colin

Jeff Anderson
Beginner

James F wrote:

Jeff,
I'm sorry you are having problems with your Acronis products. The official way to leave feedback to Acronis is here: http://www.acronis.com/support/feedback.html
This forum is here for people to seek help from others, and to offer support/solutions based on their use of these products. It is not a place to leave feedback directed for, or to, Acronis.
If you are still having problems you would like help with, feel free to post them and see what others have done to fix them, or workarounds they have used to bypass limitations or flaws within the program. If you have found fixes or workarounds that may help others, be sure to post them as well.

First I wish to thank the members of this forum for all the excellent help and rapid responses I have received. I owe you a great deal of gratitude and Acronis does too.

I knew this was not the official Acronis forum but because of its high quality I assumed (erroneously) that Acronis would at least monitor it. Maybe they do not and I will provide them with feedback in their forum. Hopefully they will listen.

I just wanted to make sure that the readers of this forum should know that I have nothing but praise and gratitude to them and their willingness to share their expertise with a stranger in their midst. This forum is certainly not responsible for the "quirks" (read bugs) that Acronis programmers have inserted in the software. I apologize if I appeared to have blown off steam here.

Mike Lyman
Beginner

I've been having the same problem. On a whim, because I've had a no gui problem with another app that had problems starting with Chrome running, I shut down Gmail and Chrome and tried launching True Image again (after killing trueimage.exe in the task manager). Started just fine.

Not a great solution but it worked.