3417: Acronis True Image 2009 and Windows 7 Business pro (64-bit)

17 replies [Last post]
William Hull
Beginner

I read some threads on the old site and was a bit confused.  Can anyone tell me if there are any known issues of running Acronis True Image 2009 on a Windows 7 RTM?  If there are issues can anyone suggest when a solution might be available that does work with Windows 7?  Note that I'm running Windows 7 Businessl Pro 64-bit RTM on one of my systems 

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello William,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

At the moment, the following Acronis products can be installed on Windows 7:

All the future major version upgrades of Acronis products are planned to support Windows 7 operating systems. For more detailed information on the particular editions of the operating system supported please refer to the respective hardware requirements sections of the product user guides.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

William Hull
Beginner

So......  If Acronis True Image Home 2010 Beta is the only products that can be installed on Windows 7 then is it OK to use the beta in placed of True Image Home 2009 until True Image Home 2009 has been updated to work with Windows 7?  In a related question if you create a full system backup inmage with the Beta will True Image Home 2009 be able to mount and/or restore this image once the 2009 version has been updated to work with Windows 7?

Alexander
Alexander's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello William,

Actually, our general policy regarding supported versions is one version back compatibility. This means that current product version will work with backups created with one-generation-older version.

E.g. Acronis True Image Home 2009 will work with backups created by Acronis True Image 11 Home. Restoring backups created by older versions (Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and older) is also possible, but error-free data recovery is not guaranteed.

So you will not be able to operate with backup created from beta version with Acronis True Image Home 2009. If it's acceptable for you, you may use beta to backup up Windows 7 and wait for its oficial release. Most probably it will support backup made with beta.

Thank you.

Alexander Nikolsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Ken Checkeye
Beginner

Seems sad that Acronis 2009 won't support Windows 7.

If I might add my two cents and ask for a maintenance update for 2009.  Since I just purchased the upgrade to 2009 on Aug 4th of 2009, I really don't want to purchase another upgrade just over a month later.

As a side note, I had tried the 2010 beta and it was so complex and tied into the system that when I had problems I was not able to remove it completely and ended up wiping the system.

There is something to the simplicty of Acronis 11 and the True Image line. 

Thanks, Ken

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello William,

Thank you for using  Acronis Products

Here is the updated article regarding Windows 7 support:

At the moment, the following Acronis products support Windows 7:

(!) Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 supports Windows 7 with the following limitations:

• Mounting backups stored in Acronis Secure Zone is not possible;
  • Mounting backups located on a network share in read/write mode is not possible;
  • The Active Restore feature is not available when restoring a system volume in Windows from a backup stored in Acronis Secure Zone;
  • User accounts generated for Acronis services during the product installation may appear on the Windows 7 logon screen.

Regarding version compatibility Acronis True Image Home 2010 can restore, mount and explore images created with:

Acronis True Image Home 2009

Acronis True Image 11 Home

Acronis True Image 10 Home

Acronis True Image 9.0 Home

Acronis True Image 8.0 Home

Note that you can't restore Acronis True Image Home 2010 images with Acronis True Image Home 2009.

Check the following article for more details.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Keith G
Beginner

I don't know about Windows 7 RTM, but Acronis TI 2009 will run on Windows 7 RC. I've been using it with no issues for backups and restore. The only thing I had to do was install SnapAPI prior to installing TI 2009.

JA
Forum Member

Is there a difference between Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 and Acronis True Image Home 2009?
I have used Acronis True Image Home 2009 under Windows 7 to make a Backup and it worked. Does this mean that Restoring the Backup will also be possible or could this lead to a "bad surprise"?
I am also not able to mount a Backup on an external drive. Is this a known problem and is there a solution to this?

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Johannes Antoni wrote:
Is there a difference between Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 and Acronis True Image Home 2009?
I have used Acronis True Image Home 2009 under Windows 7 to make a Backup and it worked. Does this mean that Restoring the Backup will also be possible or could this lead to a "bad surprise"?
I am also not able to mount a Backup on an external drive. Is this a known problem and is there a solution to this?

With any backup program, it hasn't actually "worked" until you do a successful restore. If you do not have a spare hard drive to restore to, the next best thing is to make the bootable Rescue CD, boot with it and do a "dry run" of a restore right up to where you have to click Proceed, then instead Cancel the process. In addition and again with the Rescue CD do a validation of the Image.

JA
Forum Member

DwnNDrty wrote:

With any backup program, it hasn't actually "worked" until you do a successful restore.

True words and to calm myself I followed your advice and even restored the backup instead of a "dry run". It worked. I thought it was better to lose the configuration now instead of later when I maybe need it much more.

Has anybody got an answer to my other questions? Especially the Mounting-Question would interest me as copying out of the Backup-File often interrupts during the process.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

There is no way that I'm aware of, that will make mounting work correctly with TI 2009 and W7.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Gregory Nail
Beginner

I'm not too familiar with the structure, though I've been using Acronis 2009. So I'm not sure what you mean by "Mounting backups stored in Acronis Secure Zone is not possible;" in Acronis 2010. Can you make a backup of a Win 2007, and then restore it? What's the "secure zone" refer to?

ARNOLD TAYLOR
Beginner

I did as recommended and backed up my hard drive before installing Win7 Pro.
I installed Acronis True Home Ver. 10.
When I tried to restore my files I get message saying Acronis is not compatible with Win 7.
Your Website offers no help whatsoever!!!!
It states that version 10 is compatible with Win7 ???!?!?!?!?!?
I now have a backup that I can't install!!!!!!!!!???????????

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

ARNOLD TAYLOR wrote:
I did as recommended and backed up my hard drive before installing Win7 Pro.
I installed Acronis True Home Ver. 10.
When I tried to restore my files I get message saying Acronis is not compatible with Win 7.
Your Website offers no help whatsoever!!!!
It states that version 10 is compatible with Win7 ???!?!?!?!?!?
I now have a backup that I can't install!!!!!!!!!???????????

I don't think Acronis have ever said that TI 10 is W7 compatible, others have got it to work and it did work in the beta and RC version of W7, but in the RTM versions Microsoft added it to the internal 'banned program list'.

However v2010 is W7 compatible.

If you have made the rescue CD for v10 then you will be able to restore your image and even make images. If TI10 has actually installed, then you can persuade it to run by renaming the TI10 executable file and you might have to play with your UAC settings.

Out of interest why do you want to restore your non W7 image over your W7 current one?

I think Kol0 got TI 10 to mount an image in W7, but expect this not to work.

If you do make a W7 image with TI 10, make sure you have your W7 DVD/Repair DVD available, as you might find the restore leaves your system unbootable due to MS's new sector offset arrangment which TI 10 will not understand. This problem may only occur if - 1. You restore a partition only rather than the whole disk, and - 2. If you have had the W7 installer format and partition the drive. If the drive was partitioned and formatted using XP and you've just 'plonked' the W7 install on the drive, then your drive will be layed out in XP fashion and the problem will not manifest itself.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Larry Howell
Beginner

When I recently installed TI2010 Home on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I encountered a problem with a corrupted System Registry after the first time I created a full disc image. I had to use system restore to get my Windows O/S back to its activated state. My Roxio Creator 2010 installation was also corrupted and required a significant amount of time and effort to clean up the corrupted registry keys so that I could reinstall Roxio Creator.
I am now working with Microsoft to resolve a system registry issue that occurred during this same time. A number of registry keys were created that have a path value beginning with C?\..., where the colon has been replaced by the question mark.
Has any one encountered this type of system registry value?

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Larry,
Any chance you were using a prior version of TrueImage Home and have a backup created by the prior version?

Can you use the Windows Restore to get your registry back correct and then try re-installing TIH using the install/repair option?

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Larry Howell
Beginner

The TrueImage installation was a "clean" install...never used TrueImage on this computer. The TrueImage software was a fresh download from the TrueImage website (on-line purchase) just a week before the installation (August, 2010).

I was able to use Windows Restore to regain full function of Windows and all applications except Roxio Creator.

The major damage seems to have been to the .NET Framework "configuration". For Roxio, I had to completely uninstall all versions of .NET Framework and and MXML 4 SP3, reboot and then reinstall .NET Framwork 3.5 SP1 and MXML 4 SP3.

With the exception of the "strange", possibly corrupted registry keys that remain, everything is back to normal and hope to keep it that way.

I am working with Uniblue RegistryBooster and Microsoft Tech Support to evaluate and correct any problems with the C?\ registry values that were apparently created during this event.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Larry,
I can understand your reluctance to risk your system again. There are some regular users of TrueImage that work exclusively from the Rescue CD without the program being installed in Windows.

The ISO bootable media is available from your registration page and this Rescue CD can be created without TrueImage ever being installed.

If you want to know more about the ISo bootable CD, check index items @-E-F-G inside my signature below.

Should you ever want to try another install, I most certainly would perform a full disk backup of your system via the ISO Rescue CD so you have something to return to with minimal risk.

Most certainly, I would open a support ticket for the problems you have encountered.