3593: True Image 2009 and Windows 7

26 replies [Last post]
John Fail
Beginner

I have used True Image 2009 build 9,615 on Windows XP SP3 for some time and it has saved my butt a number of times in restoring backups.

I will be going to Windows 7 when it comes out in October and I have been wondering about compatibility of True Image 2009 with Windows 7.  I am sure this has been asked before but I am having trouble finding a definitive answer.  Several e-mails to Customer service at Acronis have gone completely unanswered.

Is true Image 2009 compatible with Windows 7?  If not, is an update available to get compatibility?

Thanks for any input

John

bin
bin's picture
Frequent Poster
MVP

Not yet and not yet!

John Fail
Beginner

Thanks very much for the help

John

bin
bin's picture
Frequent Poster
MVP

You're very welcome John. Keep an eye on the Acronis web site or here, I'm sure they will get round to it very soon. You can subscribe to have email notifications of any updates from Acronis.

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Build 9796 runs okay on Win 7 RTM Gold.  There have been some reports of being unable to mount an Image, but Windows Explorer will let you explore an Image.

Daniel Fickes
Beginner

I am running W7 Ultimate.   I have made an image of my c: drive but have not tried to resotre.  Hopfully I will be able to do so.   If not I do have an image of my c drive under windows XP.  Worse case I am thinking I can re-install XP from my original XP disk, load Acronis and mount the image and be back in business under xp. 

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello John,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

At the moment, the following Acronis products support Windows 7:

(!) Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 supports Windows 7 with the following limitations:

• Mounting backups stored in Acronis Secure Zone is not possible;
  • Mounting backups located on a network share in read/write mode is not possible;
  • The Active Restore feature is not available when restoring a system volume in Windows from a backup stored in Acronis Secure Zone;
  • User accounts generated for Acronis services during the product installation may appear on the Windows 7 logon screen.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Werner Allgaier
Beginner

thanks a lot for this info.
Is there an upgrade from 2009 to 2010?

David Brown
Forum Member

Windows 7 and Windows Vista are so similar I wouldn't be surprised if ATI 2009 worked -- at least mostly. But "mostly" isn't what I want from backups!

The upgrade price is currently US$30 instead of the full $50, and it does seem with features like continuous backup and such that they're really putting in some effort for our money this time. I'm downloading the trial to start, but I do expect I'll purchase the upgrade to ATI 2010.

J Paul Wilson
Beginner

I have read about a number of problems with TIH2010 and Windows 7. Have these been fixed?

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and do not want to upgrade to a buggy product.

Thanks for any input.

Marc Paulin
Regular Poster

Nothing has been fixed as there has been no updates since the initial release.

Graham Rowe
Beginner

Hi, I'm running Acronis® True Image Home® version 11.0 (build 8,027) on a Vista machine. I'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 and cannot see anywhere on the Acronis website or Forums whether this version of TIH will run with Windows 7.

The MS Upgrade Advisor suggests that there might be problems - can anyone advise definitively please?

Thanks for your help, Graham

Al99
Beginner

I have been told by a member of the support, that there will be no update für TI Home 2009.
I can upgrade to Home 2010 - that would work.

So I'm very angry, because I bought TI Home 2009 only a few month ago!!!!
An additional advice was to use TI Home 2009 with a CD - great!

That's really disappointing!
After years using Acronis TI versions I'm considering to look for another software to save my system and private files.

Regards

Al99

Christopher Shaker
Beginner

If you use the 2009 TrueImage recovery CD, you might want to make sure you have the latest build of 2009 TrueImage installed on your PC before burning the recovery CD. I had a recovery image from an earlier build of the 2009 TrueImage, and it would not see the new 500 GB SATA drive I installed in a laptop.

Updated to TrueImage 2009 build 9796, and burned a new recovery CD. That new recovery CD saw the new 500 GB drive just fine. Note that I also had to update the Acronis Disk Director 10 to the latest build, 2239, before it would work correctly on the new disk drive.

Bottom line, update any Acronis products you have installed on your PC before burning your recovery disks. That way your recovery disks will have the latest device drivers and support from Acronis.

Chris Shaker

Al99
Beginner

@ Shaker

Sorry,but that's no answer to my repley!
Acronis says that they will not deliver an Update for Acronis TI Home 2009 that "fits" Windows 7.
That is not acceptabel!

If a company believes, that it is nor neccesary to deliver updates and insead pushes Customers to buy new software, we must protest.

I bought TI 10, TI 11 and TI Home 2009! But now I'm close to leave acronis products!
I'm very disapointed with support of acronis!!!!!

Regards

Al99

Mark Jarvis
Beginner

I agree this is awful when I only just bought the product in April and now it won't support windows 7!!! So I get 6 months use from a product and then have to upgrade to keep it in line with Windows 7 which is based on the same architecture as Vista. Not happy but they have my money and looking at the replies above don't care too much about not explaining why they will not update 2009 to work with Windows 7.

I will use Windows 7 backup features and not bother paying for an update!!!

Gary Hopkins
Beginner

I have used ATI 2009 to both backup and restore Windows 7 with no problems at all on at least 2 occasions while trying to install drivers. It's worked flawlessly while doing this, I've also tested the ATI boot disk and there were no problems.

I'm not saying that other people haven't had problems with their setups, Windows 7 and ATI 2009, just that I myself haven't had problems. ATI 2009 isn't approved by Acronis for Windows 7 but on my system it worked. I do have to mention though that I just purchased and tested the ATI 2010 update yesterday in order to completely be sure of compatibility.

I would suggest that anyone with Windows 7 and ATI 2009 at least test it before consigning it to the scrap heap, after all it worked for me.

verteron
Beginner

I have ATI Echo Workstation, which worked fine on the Windows 7 Beta and RC. While I do understand that "full support" for a brand new operating system may be somewhat after the release of Windows 7, I cannot even try to use it now as it pops up a "compatibility problem" window. I have tried to run in XP SP3 compatibility mode already, no dice. How can I bypass that compatibility check?

**Update for others. It appears from web searches that the block is requested of Microsoft by the software vendor, ie Acronis. Acronis surely doesn't want us to run software they are not highly confident in, so they made the block request to M$ which integrated it into Windows 7 RTM. I eventually found on a forum for alcohol 120% that you can just rename the executable. That is all it took, it works now. I know, I know. If my system crashes and I lose all data it is my fault and responsibility. But until an official "fully Supported" product is released(let alone announced) I needed a work-around.

steve peterson
Beginner

ok now what i have messing around here all im trying to do here is update the program
i bought they are switching me around up and down page after page after page
im not getting anywere but mad were is the file to click on too give me what i want
the update thank you and good by

Paul Martin
Beginner

Amen to that! This company just seems to think everyone who buys their products is made of money. I first bought version 11 in June 2008, and then version 2009 in January 2009 when their so-called support wouldn't get back to me about problems encountered with version 11. T.I. Home 2009 has worked just fine in Windows XP, except for the "Try and Decide" feature which is a joke. I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and installed the latest build of version 2009 (build #9809) and it works just as well as on XP. There is a reliability improvement with the "Try and Decide" mode engaging without several tries, but it's still only good for one re-boot before it "decides" for you - not exactly what Acronis advertises.

I have a flash for you, Acronis people: if I start encountering compatibility problems with my Windows 7 installation and have to replace your program yet again, it won't be with an Acronis product I assure you. Your company and products have such promise - it's a shame you don't give a damn about your Customers who have been promoting your products with positive word of mouth advertising. That's something I will cease to do in the future.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for your comments, I will be happy to help.

Actually, every request for providing with a discount or free upgrade requires a separate attention. Since some members of the forum community do not have the direct access to Acronis Support Department, I can propose you the following: 

Please contact me via Private Message with the reference to this thread. If you haven't placed a post in this thread, please describe in some words the reason on why you are requesting a discount or free upgrade. I will take into consideration the circumstances and in accordance with the internal instructions I will check what I can do for you. 

Please let me know if the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Paul Joseph
Beginner

I would like to know what doesn't work with Acronis True Image 2009 and Windows 7.

I am using it on Windows 7 and it seems to work perfectly well. What nasty surprises await me?

My impression from reading here and elsewhere is that I am not assured of a good experience with the 2010 edition. As it's not so long since I bought 4 copies of 2009 I dislike being forced to pay for buggy upgrades.

My next move may be to another product.

Keith G
Beginner

Acronis True Image 2009 works fine on Windows 7.

I've been using the latest build of 9809 without issue on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I have created data file backups and full disk image backups and restored both without issue. I have also used the mount/unmount image feature without issue. ATI 2009 mounts/unmounts drives for each partition that was in my image file except for the system partition that Windows 7 Professional created. And I have been able to view the files/folders within the mounted drives and copy anything from them to my hard drives. For those of you registered for ATI 2009, I would suggest to use the Bootable Media ISO for your restores outside of Windows. It works great. For me, there is absolutely NO need to upgrade to ATI 2010.

Paul Joseph
Beginner

Good. Thanks. That's the version I'm running -- on a Lenovo X200 (32bit).

I DID have some problems with Disk Director Suite 10: an update simply announced that it was incompatible with Lenovo hardware. I'd already used it successfully, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Brian Astbury
Beginner

Just upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate. Installed TrueImage Home 10. When I try to run it all I get is that Microsoft Compatibility notice. Verteron says : "I eventually found on a forum for alcohol 120% that you can just rename the executable." How about a link?

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

K0LO, thank you very much for your help.

Paul Joseph, as I understand, you've tried to use Acronis Disk Director 10.0 with Windows 7? If so, please be aware that this software is not Windows 7 compatible yet. Our developers are working on this issue. As a quick workaround, you may create a bootable media with Acronis Disk Director and perform necessary operations using it.

Brian Astbury, unfortunately, Acronis True Image 10 Home does not support Windows 7. You can find the list of Acronis products that do support Windows 7 in this KB article.

Thank you. 

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.