38727: destination disk selection grayed out!

20 replies [Last post]
eric loong
Beginner

To all forum participants,

I have just purchased a full version of True image acronis 2013.

I encountered a problem selecting destination drive while in the cloning process.

My source drive is seagate 1TB, attached within a desktop computer.
My destination drive is a seagate 2TB attached to the desktop computer via powerd usb connection.

The new seagate 2Tb is working fine as I have formated and partition it through windows device manager. I have even saved files to the new 2TB drive.

Please advise how where my issues are. Things should be pretty much straight forward but not in this case.

Thanks.

el.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Eric,

Are you trying to clone from within Windows or from the recovery CD? If from within Windows (not recommended) you could try using the True Image 'Add Disk' utility and then see if it can see the drive. It is better to clone from the recovery CD so that Windows cannot lock any files or RAM space.

Is the 2TB drive a hybrid one?

When you accessed the 2TB drive was it attached to the same USB port? It might be worth trying a different port or caddy.

What will probably work is to swap the drive positions, put the source drive into the external caddy and the new drive into the PC and reverse clone booting from the Recovery CD.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

eric loong
Beginner

Hi Colin,

Thanks for replying.

I have tried both from within windows vista64 and boot up using the boot media CD. Both have given me the same result.
The 2TB is pure SATA disk drive not hybrid.
I have also tried different USB port.

I have also tried the clone process using a different computer running windows 7. The same result. Destination drive greyed out.

I seriously think there is a flaw in the software program. If it is not a flaw, it has to be design issue.

I am frustrated and disappointed with the program. Why? I have been reading about the same issues that other people has encountered.

Regards,
el.

Neil M-H
Beginner

Hi Eric, Colin,
I have purchased TI 2013 for the same reason as above and have exactly the same issue. Why I think that it is definitely a software/product issue is that I have done exactly the same 'cloning' function from a 500GB, x4 partition drive to a WD 1TB (staging) drive. This worked just as the documentation says. All I want to do is exactly the same from the WD 1TB to a WD 2TB which is going into a NAS drive.
All seems OK until I get to the 'Destination Drive' section which is ALWAYS greyed out!!
This is so frustrating and now I feel that i have wasted my money and am looking for freeware Linux cloning tools like Ping or others like Odin..
Anyone who can assist or knows what the problem is please could you let me know?
Neil..

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Why would you Clone to an NAS? You can't boot Windows from an NAS. If there is some purpose, please explain it.

You would be better to do a full disk mode Backup.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Neil M-H
Beginner

Better to read the following link that will explain it better than I could: -

http://www.gkspk.com/view/techie/upgrade-hdd-buffalo-linkstation-ls-gl-nas/

Its to upgrade the disk from a 500GB to 2TB. I have outgrown the smaller disk and this seemed the logical option without replacing the entire device.
Would have been simple had the second stage of my cloning worked!!
Cheers

Walter Holmes
Beginner

I am having the same problem as well..

Trying to clone from a 500gb to a 1tb drive.

I get a message saying "Failed to move the selected data. Make sure that your new hard drive is not smaller than your old one and that your partitions do not contain errors. You can check for errors and correct them using a special utility."

I have used Acronis countless times in the past with previous versions, with no problem.

So apparently there REALLY is something wrong in this release.

E
Beginner

I, too, am having this problem. I just want to clone my laptop's hard drive to a new drive, as the old one is dying. I have the new drive connected via a USB-to-SATA adapter, and my computer can see it. I've tried the "add new device" multiple times and always the drive shows up when I have to choose a source drive, and is grayed out when I have to choose the target drive.

I even bought the software thinking the free Seagate DiskWizard might not be able to do this, but the licensed True Image 2013 is doing the exact same thing.

Neil M-H
Beginner

I never got to the bottom of the problem but I am disappointed with this new version of Acronis 2013. I used an older version for XP which was just amazing and recovered and upgraded HD's on numerous occasions with no problem.
With regard to the above I dumped the cloning option and found my NAS actually had to intelligence to see a new drive/problem and was able to rebuild all the necessary partitions it's self. I then copied all the data I had on the old drive manually from a back up drive.

Fred Flintstone
Beginner

Like everyone else here I have v2013 and am trying to clone a 4TB internal HDD to a USB external HDD of the same size. Once I select the internal drive to clone from, the external one greys out and nothing useful can be selected. This is really silly. Even if a smaller size it SHOULD continue as long as the data fits, but its not smaller. I note that my other internal 4TB rives that are the same size are not greyed out, only the external HDD in a case. Could this be of any less use?
I am using Win7, all updates, 64Bit.
I went and found a free portable app and its now in the process of cloning these disks right now. So why cant acronis do it?

DKump
Beginner

I had the same issue where all of my partitions were grayed out. I was on the phone for 2 hours with Acronis support and they couldn't figure it out. I think there's a bug and it won't let you restore to a smaller drive/partition even if the used space fits on the smaller drive. Everything worked fine if the partition was the same size or larger. If anyone can figure out how to get around this, I'd appreciate a response. I couldn't restore my backup to an SSD drive.

Gerald
Beginner

Also suffering from this issue. I had a True Image 2013 daily backup set up to a NAS and then the hard drive died.

I therefore replaced the 2,5" 250GB Harddisk with a 2,5" 120GB Solid-State-Disk and wanted to restore to this SSD using the latest Acronis Rescue CD (True Image 2013 German, Build 6514).

However, no matter what I did, the destination remained grey and nothing I did was able to change that (fearing that it might have to do with something that was previously on the SSD, I wiped the drive, reinitialized it as MBR). The backups filesystem was in a consistent state (certainly not a sector-by-sector backup) and of the 250GB only a little above 50GB was actually in use.

That such a basic functionality of True Image doesn't work is quite a bug. Wonder if that never came up during testing or if someone said "ah, too much trouble to fix this, let's put it on the list for TI 2014".

DKump
Beginner

I suspect Acronis was trying to be 'smart' and grayed out drives where the restore wouldn't fit. However they seem to be looking at total size of the original drive, not the actual usage. That was a huge oversight. They advertise you can restore this way and their support representative was trying to tell me how to do it. It's clearly a bug in my mind. I was lucky enough to catch this when I bought the software and was able to get a refund. If it ever gets fixed, I'd appreciate it if someone posted it here. I still may go back to Acronis since it gets good reviews. For now, I had to go elsewhere since this feature was important to me.

E
Beginner

I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the second drive. I have tried to backup to a drive that is 250 GB larger, physically, not just the amount of free space, and the same thig happened.

E
Beginner

What program did you find?

E
Beginner

What program did you find?

DKump
Beginner

Ouch. For me, it was just a problem with smaller drives. I assumed I could restore to a larger drive, shrink the partition, and then restore the smaller partition to the smaller drive. Sounds like that wouldn't work. Is there any workaround? How do you get the backup restored?

E
Beginner

DKump wrote:

Ouch. For me, it was just a problem with smaller drives. ... How do you get the backup restored?

No idea. I am so frustrated. I am not doing a backup and restore, just trying to clone my drive before it dies (don't even get me started on the fact that a two-year old drive is dying!).

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

E wrote:
I am not doing a backup and restore, just trying to clone my drive before it dies (don't even get me started on the fact that a two-year old drive is dying!).

You would be better to do a full disk mode Backup.

And, if that drive is dying, stop using it!
The more you use it the more likely you will permanently lose data. Use the ATI bootable Rescue Media to create the backup.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

E
Beginner

Oh I have also done a complete backup (sorry, I should have said that), that is just not what I am trying to do *now*. I tried booting from a disk but still had trouble. I will try that again. After that, it is off to the hole-in-the-wall computer shop.

Gerald
Beginner

E wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the second drive. I have tried to backup to a drive that is 250 GB larger, physically, not just the amount of free space, and the same thig happened.

For me, a bigger destination drive solved it. I was trying to do a restore from a NAS storage, not a cloning (which is what I gather you are trying to do).
Due to the Acronis problems I had to replace a broken 250GB HDD with a 480GB SSD. Slight waste of money. I will have to shrink this sometime next week and recover my valuable 480GB SSD from this box. Had no other choice but to use the 480GB SSD - system had to work again ASAP.