40226: Can't clone or backup bootable USB flash drive

7 replies [Last post]
duck_oil
Beginner

I have a bootable USB flash drive that I made with YUMI http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

I can make a backup image but when I restore the image the drive isn't bootable. The same thing happens if I try to clone the drive to another flash drive. I've tried every setting I could like the sector-by-sector backup, selecting the MBR as part of the recovery, etc.

I found another utility that let me clone my flash drive to anther one and it was bootable. I really want the features of True Image such as making backups, restoring to different sized flash drives, etc.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

???

I'm confused. You want to use the bootable True Image Rescue Media USB flash drive to clone that same flash drive to another flash drive?

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

duck_oil
Beginner

No, my bootable flash drive isn't the True Image Rescue drive, it's a bootable drive of utilities that I've created with YUMI. Linux live distros, memtest, OS installers, etc.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ah, I see. In case you didn't know, you can also have the bootable True Image Rescue Media in that YUMI drive. I created an XBoot bootable USB drive that contains the bootable True Image 2013 Rescue Media, as well as several utilities such as memtest, virus scanners, etc.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

duck_oil
Beginner

That's a good idea to keep the True Image Rescue Media on my bootable flash drive.

Are you able to backup or clone your bootable flash drive that you made with XBoot? I'm not overly attached to YUMI, I'm want to use True Image more. I would recreate my drive with Xboot if I knew I would clone the drive and have it be bootable with Acronis.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I have never tried to clone an Xboot or Yumi flash drive. If you try it, I think it would be better to do a full disk backup and restore, rather than a clone.

duck_oil
Beginner

With my YUMI drive I have tried cloning and full disk backup and restore. I've tried sector-by-sector, and all combinations of full disk and partition backup and restore.

duck_oil
Beginner

For anyone reading this thread I've found a solution to cloning bootable USB flash drives but it's done without using True Image.

I used a program called ImageUSB www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html to create a .bin image of my flash drive. I can then restore that image to another drive and the new drive is of course bootable. When I restored an image to a larger drive it of course preserved the original partition size. I was able to resize the partition using GParted in Linux and my original 4GB drive has been cloned to an 8GB drive. 

I'd still love to use True Image to do this. When I make changes to the drive it's quick and simple for True Image to backup only the changes. ImageUSB will of course create a .bin image of the entire drive every time.