40270: Computer occasionally hangs when the “Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager…” message is displayed

11 replies [Last post]
Li'l Caesar
Beginner

When booting or rebooting, my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit x64 computer occasionally hangs when the “Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager…” message is displayed. I have to press Ctrl/Alt/Del each time to reboot before computer finally boots. This may occur 2 or more times when attempting to boot. The hang does not occur on my Windows 8 Pro 32-bit x64 or Windows 8 Pro 32-bit x86 computers.

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Greetings,
The start Up and Recovery Manager can be an invaluable tool for those who need the ability to restore frequently. Or, someone who wants recovery integrated into their system start up.

Since this process makes permanent changes to your disk, it is possible that a conflict is occuring because of that systems configuration. This type of issue would be difficult to diagnose since the only time to gather information would be when it is happening. Since it is inconsistent and infrequent, its probably not worth your time.

Have you considered disabling this option temporarily, then re-enabling it?

Sys1: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5, 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w PSU, EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature2, 2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot), 1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult. Case: HAF 922, ATI 2012 Plus Build #7133. Win8.1 Pro x64 2013 Plus Build #6514, QNAP TS-219P-II NAS - Sys2: P8Z77-V-LE PLUS, i5 3570k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, TX750w PSU, GTX 560Ti DS SC, Intel 520 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Black - Sys3: Surface Pro 2 - Win 8.1 128GB

Li'l Caesar
Beginner

The first thing I tried was to disable and re-enable the option, but continue to have the problem. I usually walk away when I boot my computers to give them time to come up, and forget to watch this one for the hang up. It's frustrating when I return to find it hasn't booted. I like to always have the option to recover available, so I don't want to disable it. I guess I'll have to remember to check it when booting before walking away. Thanks for the reply.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Li'l Caesar,

MVP Shadowsport's suggestion to disable the F11 ASRM is to determine if the ASRM is the issue, or if the issue is not related to ASRM. If you disable the ASRM and leave it disabled for a while, you could test to see if your boot issues are still present after removal. If so, then the F11 ASRM is not the cause.

There is a update for systems that have UEFI based firmware and secure boot enabled. You should download and apply the Hotfix http://forum.acronis.com/forum/39714 (even if you are not using a UEFI based system), as well as doing the testing with ASRM disabled. Please re-create your Rescue Media after applying this Hotfix.

After you apply the Hotfix for Secure boot, when you dis-able and re-enable the ASRM, the ASRM will be updated with a new boot loader, and this may work differently on your system

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my Customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

Li'l Caesar
Beginner

I de-activated F11 ASRM and the problem went away. When I activate F11 ASRM the problem came back. I tried installing the suggested Hotfix, but it failed to install with error code 2718, which has no explanation available at this time.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I would suggest that you perform a "repair" installation of 2013.

Disable F11 ASRM.

Using the installer for 2013, run it, and select repair installation.

After the repair install, reboot your system and try the Hotfix suggestion again.

If the Hotfix installs, re-activate F11 ASRM and create new bootable Rescue Media.

Let us know what you find.

James

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!

Li'l Caesar
Beginner

De-activated F11 ASRM. Did the repair installation and tried the Hotfix again. But the Hotfix still fails with error code 2718.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

This file may be blocked by Windows. Right click on the downloaded file and in the General tab, near the bottom of the tab, check to see if you can "unblock" the file. If so, "unblock" it and try running it again.

What I tell my friends:

Li'l Caesar
Beginner

Downloaded file to my Desktop. Right clicked on it, clicked on Properties, but there is nothing to block or unblock under the General tab.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

It is not being blocked on your system (some systems/browsers will do this to downloaded files). Try right clicking on the file and selecting "run as administrator" to see if this helps with the install issue.

What I tell my friends:

Li'l Caesar
Beginner

Already tried running as administrator. Same error.

Li'l Caesar
Beginner

One thing I've notice on my computers that work there is a delay after the "Press F11 for ARSM..." before the cursor does a return. But on the one that fails there is no delay. The cursor returns immediately.