4078: Acronis convert to virtual machine with Vmware converter

9 replies [Last post]
Roberto Mischiatti
Beginner

Hello,

I'm triyng to convert a backup file (.TIB) into Vmware Virtual machine with Vmware converter 4.0.

When I choice a file with Vmware converter software, this error show "the source virtual machine is not recognized".

Why ?? Someone can help me ??

Thank you

Roberto

Mordorf
Beginner

Not sure about this but I think you need TI 2010 so that you can convert the .tib file into a .vhd file and then you should be able to convert this using vmware.

Again I've not tried this but think it should work.

Let me know how you get on.

Nicholas Robinson
Beginner

Hi Roberto

Did you manage to get this working?

I had the same error message with the Windows Standalone Converter version 4.0.1, which I think is still the latest version. It worked fine with the Echo Workstation (v9.1 & v9.5) .TIB files but ABR10 seems to be slightly different. I have had a look at the (VMware) documentation which says that True Image Home 2010 should work but (significantly) there is no mention of ABR10.

I am getting quite annoyed by how many things which worked with EW9 don't work with ABR10. I tested EW9 but when I came to puchase ABR10 was shipped. I tried to run the TrueImageCmd.exe (from ABR10) to convert my ABR10 .TIB file but just got a message "Virtual disk conversion failed". That's realy NOT helpful! I really wish I could down-grade.

Please let us know if you managed to find a way to make this to work.

Nick

QuikaTB
Beginner

Hello,
I am having the same problem. Purchased the new 2010 True Image Home and the Plus pack both of which claim to allow P2V migration but there is no documentation at all that describes how. I also tried the VMware converter to no avail. I wonder if this isn't product misrepresentation if no one has figured out how to do this and Acronis remains silent on the matter.

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

Please accept our profound apologies for the delay with response.

I understand your concerns and will do my best to assist you.

First of all please note that VMware Converter supports only archives created with Acronis True Image 9.x, it has not been officially tested by Acronis QA Department and is not supported by Acronis.

If you want to convert your archive using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 please follow this guide to have the detailed instructions on how to accomplish so.

In Acronis True Image Home 2010 you can convert your TIB archives to Windows backup VHD files, i.e. you won't be able to mount created file to VMWare virtual machine. Please check this KB article for more information.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Steve Smith
Beginner

I saw this thread when checking on solutions for converting .TIB to VMware virtual disk using the VMware Converter Standalone software 4.0.1 and just wanted to post a note to say that True Image Home 11 .TIB images are recognised correctly by the converter though an image from TIH 2010 was rejected as being unrecognised.

As I mainly use 11, this doesn't give me any issues - I don't like the interface on the later versions from 2009 up! A little like the divide between Win XP and Vista.

http://www.acronis.com/pr/2008/01/pr01-16-wmware-converter.html press release only states support for version 9 .TIB image files.

Update to the above, yes VMware Converter recognises a TIH 11 .TIB image correctly, but the resulting converted .VMDK machine doesn't boot in VMware Server 2, so there seems to be something in the image construct that converter doesn't cope with correctly.

I guess I could dig out my copy of TIH 9 and create a TIB image with that to prove that the above press release is telling the truth about converter but in the end I just installed converter on the physical machine I was trying to virtualise and did it direct, bypassing the need for an image file.

Kobus de Win
Beginner

I have the same problem. I have a *.tib image made from Acronis True Image 9.1 with universal restore. The VMware converter comes with the message: The source virtual machine is not recognized. I have the latest VMware converter version 4.0.1 build-161434. Also the latest VMware Player (version 3.0.1. build 227600) cannot use or convert the *.tib image.

Arnd Jaekel
Beginner

There is a way to convert a .tib-Image to a VMware virtual machine without the VMware Converter.

My German HowTo is available here: http://vmware-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=100005#100005

In a nutshell: This solution is based on generating an oversize ISO-File with the .tib-file on it, using ImgBurn (UDF with "Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit" set to "Multiple Extents"). That Image you mount in an empty VMware machine, booting from another virtual VMware drive containing an Acronis Recovery CD. You restore from the virtual drive containing the .tib-image to that machine. What you get is a VM in native VMware format. All you need, is the free VMware Player, free ImgBurn, your .tib file and enough hard drive space for all necessary conversions.

I'll put up an English version of that HowTo right here, sometime soon.

Meanwhile, you might find some translation via Google Translate or other comparable service helpful enough.

Steve Smith
Beginner

I have been able to restore a TI .tib image directly within a VMware Server virtual machine without the need to do any conversion by taking the following steps.

1. Create a new virtual machine of the appropriate size and operating system with network support for a bridged connection to the machine hosting the .tib image to be restored.
  2. Set the CDrom drive to use an .ISO image of the Acronis True Image recovery media.
  3. Start the new virtual machine and launch TI
  4. Use the Recover option to navigate to where the .tib image is held on a shared drive - in my case the VMware Server is running on the same physical system that holds the image file.
  5. Restore the image normally.
  6. Reboot after the restore, disconnect the CDrom from the .ISO image, install VMware Tools and let the restored OS find any additional devices as normal.

I used a .tib image created on TI version 9 and restored using the TI 2010 recovery disk .ISO to boot the new virtual machine and restore an old Windows 2000 machine from a backup image.   All restored fine and is working on VMware Server version 2.0.2 hosted on a Windows XP box.

Arnd Jaekel
Beginner

This is similar to the way I describe. I just added one step 2.5, if you like.
2.5 Make an Image out of the .tib using ImgBurn and mount it in an additional virtual drive in the VM, created in step 1

This works even, when you don't have the necessary drivers to access the .tib via network or USB drives attached to the host.