44466: True Image and Windows 8.1

101 replies [Last post]
Conqueror_01
Beginner

Hello,
Acronis wrote that ATI is ready for Windows 8.
But what about Windows 8.1 ?
Is it also full compatible or not ?

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I have beta tested it in W8.1 preview, I didn't see any specific problems apart from the fact ADK 4.1 doesn't work when trying to make a WinPE based recovery environment. ADK 4.0 and WAIK 3.1 do work.

However, if there are problems Acronis is unlikely to provide support a W8.1 installation until Microsoft officially launch 8.1 .

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Jeff Ryan
Beginner

TI 2014 does NOT install on Windows 8.1 RTM.

Just a heads up

Shame, thought it would be compatible with 8.1 at launch.

Hangs at "Creating Shortcuts"

Julian Nott
Beginner

On one of my computers I have Win 8.1 Pro Preview and Acronis 2014 installed and ran just fine including a perfect restore of the .tib But they have not made the interface any more intuitive. I was hoping for an improvement of the 2013 version.

Jeff Ryan
Beginner

8.1 Preview works, yes. 8.1 RTM does not

Julian Nott
Beginner

What does RTM stand for?

Drew
Beginner

Release To Manufacture meaning it is being prepared for public release. The term was often used when the developer sent there finished software off to the CD/DVD producers

Julian Nott
Beginner

Thank you, obvious once you know! Are you a developer? How come I only have the Preview and you have the RTM version?

Whooaahh
Regular Poster

Like myself, many have subscriptions to Microsoft's TechNet. Things get released to us before the actual public, sometimes as early as 2 or 3 months. How the others here got it, I'm not sure.

Jeff Ryan
Beginner

Fact of the matter is though, this product doesn't work with it........................shame

Anna.Trifonova
Anna.Trifonova's picture
Forum Support Professional

Hello Everyone,

thank you for your comments!

Since Windows 8.1 hasn't been released yet, it is not supported by current build 5560 of Acronis True Image 2014.

We are working on the implementation of Windows 8.1 support in upcoming updates of our products, but in any case these updates will be published after official release of Windows 8.1.

More information regarding operating systems supported in Acronis True Image 2014 you can get here.

Thank you for your understanding!

Anna Trifonova

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Whooaahh
Regular Poster

How can Acronis actually have support for something that isn't publicly available yet? I don't think they are obligated to make it work with W8.1 yet, but that's my personal opinion. Once it's actually released publically, give it time, there should be a patch making TI2014 compatible with W8.1.

My 2 cents.

Edit: Darn, she beat me by seconds!

Jeff Ryan
Beginner

Well seeing how the product doesn't work in Windows 8.1, just got issued a refund on TI 2014.

J Watkin
Beginner

Jeff Ryan wrote:

Well seeing how the product doesn't work in Windows 8.1, just got issued a refund on TI 2014.

Acronis are working on making TI2014 work with 8.1. 8.1 isn't out until October last I heard, so what made you apply for a refund?

Do you not have the confidence that Acronis will get it working properly?
Personally, I'm avoiding Win 8 and doubt I'll change that stance when they do release 8.1. (Tried it and don't like it and can't see that changing.)

I'm tempted to upgrade to the 2014 premium set up but once burnt by Acronis, twice shy.

Techland
Forum Member

Well, I doubt that the update will be there SHORTLY after 8.1 was released. Knowing Acronis' typical time frames on reaction and next releases it looks more like January next year. But we'll see...

Jeff Ryan
Beginner

Techland wrote:

Well, I doubt that the update will be there SHORTLY after 8.1 was released. Knowing Acronis' typical time frames on reaction and next releases it looks more like January next year. But we'll see...

Very true.

karlflunkert
Beginner

I´m running ATI 2013 on Windows 8.1 Preview. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 RTM and seems to run without problems. I will make a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my Notebook and want to know if ATI 2013 will run on it ?

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Jeff Ryan wrote:

TI 2014 does NOT install on Windows 8.1 RTM.

Try again, but with any AV/firewall software disabled. I've just installed 2014:6650 on both GB versions (N and Full types) of 64 bit W8.1 Pro RTM. I disabled my firewall (Eset) and installed from the proper desktop. The only other item installed at the time was Classic Shell.

What doesn't work as yet (and Acronis know) is ADK 4.1 being used to make a WinPE recovery media, ADK 4.0 does work.

@Karl,

All I can say at this moment is that 2013 worked in the Preview version of W8.1, I have yet to see what happens with W8, but I would have thought that this still stood.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

Martin H.
Beginner

I got Windows 8.1 Pro x64 RTM from Dreamspark Premium and have installed TI 2014 without any problems. Almost everything works like it did on Windows 8. The only issue I found so far is a serious memory leak when I mount an image in read/write-mode.

I copied several gigabytes from the mounted image to my internal HDD and noticed that the memory usage increases 1:1 with the amount of data which is read from the image.
I have 16 GB memory installed and when TI has filled it completely, the computer freezes and I have to do a hard reset.

Only workaround is to un-mount the image right before the memory runs full. Then the memory is cleaned up and I can mount the image again and start copying files again.

Peter Meinl
Beginner

TI 2014 installed without problems on my 8.1 Pro RTM but I am experiencing the following problems using it:

1. Windows message "Operation in Progress..." when shutting down. Forcing me to do a hard reset.

2. TI file backup does not wake computer.
"Wake up the sleeping/hibernating computer" is enabled.
Waking up the same computer worked fine with Windows 7 built-in backup.

3. Permanent error messages "Failed to read data from the disk."
TI does not say which disk.
I have one disk encrypted with Bitlocker. Even though it not included in a TI backup set I assume the error stems from TI not being able to access this disk before I manually unlock it.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Peter,

The encypted disk might be causing your problem, TI attempts to enumerate all disks that Windows reports as present, whether they are subsequently used or not in a task. This is because all tasks can be run manually, so one day a user may 'suddenly' wish to make a one off image of drive 'xyz'. TI must be in a position to be able to access that drive on demand.

Colin

Peter Meinl
Beginner

Colin,

yes the encrypted disk might cause problem no. 3. Acronis should still fix this.

The most severe problem is "Operation in Progress..." forcing me to hard reset the machine. This is an absolute no no.
Others have the same problem.

The Sand
The Sand's picture
Regular Poster

I was surprised Acronis True Image 2013 was showing as "not compatible" when I tried to upgrade to 8.1 tonight. Now I see from this thread True Image 2014 isn't compatible (at least not officially.) I have 3 licenses of TI 2013 for three Windows 8 computers and now NONE of them are going to work. Too hideous. I didn't see that coming, what a $$$ beat down. I feel ripped off because normally (like with Vista and 7) I purchased one version of Acronis that worked on those OS versions and I remained there (I mean why upgrade, all restores worked.) I purchased one license of Acronis for each machine and then I stayed there. That is how it worked for me...

I didn't think you would sell me a version of Acronis that worked with 8 (I have only had Windows 8 since February) and then tell me it wasn't going to work on 8.1 (which is still "8.") Had I known this I would not have done it. It was an investment of TI 2013 for what, 8 months? Totally pissed right now!

Anyway, when is TI 2014 going to be officially "ready" so you can give my wallet the beat down Microsoft didn't bother to do with 8.1.

Sandy

The Sand
The Sand's picture
Regular Poster

Peter Meinl wrote:

Colin,

yes the encrypted disk might cause problem no. 3. Acronis should still fix this.

The most severe problem is "Operation in Progress..." forcing me to hard reset the machine. This is an absolute no no.
Others have the same problem.

I have had that issue with Acronis for every version since... forever. I launch the task manager and stop all Acronis Services and then I don't have to do a hard shut down. But you have to go back in and enable "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" or you can't run a backup again.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The Sand,

The good news is that TI 2014 will eventually work on 8.1. On the whole it worked OK when using the RC build. I'm surprised that you got the message you did from W8.1 as I've been using the MSDN release build with 2014. Obviously Microsoft (perhaps at Acronis' request) have added it to the non compatible list for the public release. Acronis have stated that they will update 2014 to work with some of the changes that 8.1 has.

I suspect the new storage spaces will be one thing that TI 2014 won't work with.

Colin

karlflunkert
Beginner

ATI 2014 works fine for me on Windows 8.1 RTM.
The Backup works, and also the restore option. The only thing I´m waiting for, is na update for the bootable rescue disk. When the rescue disk runs from my USB stick on my Desktop it Works fine. But when it runs on my Notebook the image is distorted.

The Sand
The Sand's picture
Regular Poster

Colin B and karlflunkert, thanks for sharing that TI 2014 is working for you on 8.1 : )

As I mentioned I normally upgrade Acronis when I go to a new OS. When I purchased Windows 8 Acronis said I would need TI 2013 (that was February this year.) 8.1 is really a "Service pack" so I had no idea I would have to upgrade Acronis again so soon. If it was one machine okay, but it is three licenses I will need. Because of this I did some reading to see what is coming... I found out there is another update to 8.1 coming in early 2014. Will I have to upgrade Acronis again to be "compatible" with that one? If so I will have been made to purchase 3 different versions of Acronis (at 3 licenses a piece - total of 9 licenses) to work on Windows 8 in less than 1 year. The software you buy (if you don't jump to a new OS) should at least make a year of use...

Of course nothing will happen - but at least there are forums to express your disapproval ; )

The Sand
The Sand's picture
Regular Poster

I called and talked to someone - you can get a family pack for $39.99 (which is 3 licenses.) It says online you can you only do so if you purchased a family pack in the past - but that isn't true, you just enter in all three prior stand alone product keys when you install.

The rep was nice and said she would escalate my concerns. About possibly instituting "upgrade insurance" especially for multi licenses so you can have your software run longer than 8 months when you didn't move or upgrade to anther OS. 8.1. is still 8, Windows 10 isn't due until 2015.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I misunderstood your post The Sand, I thought you already had 2014 and were finding that it is reporting it wouldn't work on W 8.1 .

Colin

The Sand
The Sand's picture
Regular Poster

Actually, when you try to upgrade from the Windows Store it says nothing about Acronis 2013 and compatibility. But when trying to install 8.1 (Pro with Media Center) from the Windows store (supposedly a clean install is not necessary) it did try to uninstall my St Micro Accelerometer driver (which is running fine on Windows 8 Pro.) I can't get St Micro Accelerometer off Dell's Drivers and Downloads (This is for Alienware M17X R2) or the manufacturer's website. I wanted more info about why it is not compatible and what to do so I used the "Windows 8 to 8.1 compatibility checker" and that pulled up that Acronis TI 2013 is not compatible. I have had versions of Acronis TI that are not compatible with my OS BSOD me so I am glad I found out ahead of time and will address Acronis and the Accelerometer before I upgrade.

Derk Veenman
Beginner

True Image 2014 don't install on my Windows 8.1 64 bit system.
Hangs at "Creating Shortcuts"

Derk Veenman
Beginner

Solved the 8.1 problem. I installed the program in windows 8 compatible mode. The setup completes and you are able to run the program with windows 8.1.

karlflunkert
Beginner

Here I made a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my Notebook, and ATI 2014 didn´t hang while installing. And I didn´t need to install in Windows 8 compatible mode.
The only problem I found, that restore to dissimilar hardware doesn´t work. I got na error after completing the restore, when it booted for the first time. So, I needed to make a clean install.
I hope this problem will be solved soon.

Ian McIntosh
Beginner

Here it is October 19th and I can't seem to get the answer to the question is True Image 2014 compatible with Windows 8.1 or net?

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Officially, ATI 2014 needs an update (coming) for 8.1. However, some users are using that combination.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Phillip Tursky
Beginner

true image 2013w/plus pack crashes immediately when backing up from console after installing windows 8.1 on my AMD Vishera System. It didn't crash in Windows 8.0; hope they'll have a fix cause I am hesitant to buy anymore acronis products since they aren't fully functionally working, and I have a free full version of Norton Ghost I got with solid state drives.
Able to backup OFFLINE even 8.1.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Phillip,

Have you tried reinstalling 2013 in W8.0 compatibility mode and running it as the same? I doubt that Acronis will update 2013 to be W8.1 compliant, wich they will do with 2014.

Colin

Phillip Tursky
Beginner

Reinstalling is the first thing I did. Didn't help at all. What is really weird is my system is set NOT to reboot after error, and it still DOES reboot without any error message.
Regarding Norton Ghost I haven't tried yet because in the past I much more preferred Acronis.

Phillip Tursky
Beginner

What is REALLY incredible TI 2013 works on my Windows 8.1 laptop, without crashing anything.
Desktop processor AMD Vishera 8350
Laptop processor AMD Athlon x64 x2

Julian Nott
Beginner

FYI I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 pro on my Lenovo Yoga notebook and Acronis 2014 installed and made an image flawlessly - no reason to think it would not restore but I have not tired it.

Julian Nott
Beginner

FYI I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 pro on my Lenovo Yoga notebook and Acronis 2014 installed and made an image flawlessly - no reason to think it would not restore but I have not tired it.

Julian Nott
Beginner

But here is a little detail that make you wonder if Acronis is paying attention. When you type Acronis on this page, the spell cheker highlights it as an error. This sort of error make me feel Acronis management never try their own products, always a bad sign "Eat your own dog food".

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Julian Nott wrote:

But here is a little detail that make you wonder if Acronis is paying attention. When you type Acronis on this page, the spell cheker highlights it as an error. This sort of error make me feel Acronis management never try their own products, always a bad sign "Eat your own dog food".

Hey genius, the spellchecker is provided by your own web browser. It is not provided by Acronis. That little detail makes me wonder if you're paying attention.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Julian Nott
Beginner

Hey Mr Rude tuttle. Your information is helpful. But do you think Acronis wants volunteers talking to very long time Customers this way?

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Don't try the passive-aggressive ploy, pretending that you were insulted out of the blue. You slammed Acronis with no justification. I just used your own spellcheck misinformation back at you.

Julian Nott
Beginner

Win the argument, loose the sale.

Patrick Smits
Beginner

Back on topic please:
It's totally ridiculous that a lot of users (including me) bought a license for TI2013 and this software is not working on windows 8.1 (a patch would be great). I bought a license this year, even at the time everybody knew that 8.1 was coming. Acronis should have been working together with Microsoft to fix the problems with TI2013 before the official release of Windows 8.1. I feel I am ripped off by Acronis. Yesterday I tried to install TI2013 with Windows 8 Compatiblity mode and Windows 7 Compatibility mode but both installations hang on "Creating Shortcuts". Also the TI2014 is not working on 8.1 (pro). If anybody can tell me how to get TI2013 running on Windows 8.1 (reliable) that would be great (as I bought the license this year). I think that software which has the name 2013 in it should be able to run on Windows 8.1. That is not legacy software in my opinion! I think a lot of users have these problems. If Acronis is not gonna fix the TI2013 issue I think they should give a free upgrade to TI2014 for users who want to (or need to) upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no backups now anymore!

karlflunkert
Beginner

Sorry, but I must tell everybody, that ATI013 and ATI2014 work fine with Windows 8.1 RTM.
The only problem I found is:
- The bootalbe recovery disk works only on my desktop but not on my notebook.
- Tried to recover an image to dissimilar hardware (desktop image to my notebook), but after copying all files, it showed me an unknown error. So, there wasn´t any way to restore my installation. I needed to make a fresh install of my OS and all my programs. I hope Acronis will solve it soon.

Patrick Smits
Beginner

Hi Karl, that sounds great. Please share how you installed ATI2013 on windows 8.1. A lot of users are stuck with the "Create Shortcut" message. If you know how to fix this please let us know so we can enjoy ATI2013 again.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

There may be more occurring that simply the combination of Win8.1 and ATI. Officially the current ATI doesn't fully support Win8.1, yet several users report using ATI without problem on Win8.1.

karlflunkert
Beginner

I didn´t do anything. I ran the installer and hadn´t any problems creating shortcuts while installing. It seems that there is a problem with the windows installer or Antivirus software. I can´t say what´s the problem is, because it never happened with ATI 2013 and ATI 2014.