4718: Boot by USB flash drive: TI Netbook Edition does not load on ASUS eeePC 1101HA

74 replies [Last post]
Howard_G
Beginner

I have an ASUS eeePC 1101HA netbook (BIOS version: 0317 - date: 24 september 2009).
I downloaded Acronis True Image Home 2010 Netbook Edition from Acronis site (TRIAL version) to evaluate.

I installed True Image Trial on the NetBook without any issues. I made a backup image of drive C and another image of the entire physical HDD, via local Ethernet network, to a shared folder on another computer. So far so good. Absolutely no problems of any kind. I was so happy...

Then, to evaluate the efectiveness of the SW under disaster situations, I tried to test a recover operation. Using Acronis Media Builder, I created a bootable recover media (an 8 GB Kingston Data Traveller USB flash drive). All went well.

The I booted the netbook from the USB flash drive (of course I've had to adjust the boot sequence parameters in the BIOS Setup). Acronis True Image Home main screen showed up. I clicked on "True Image Home Full version". The screen went blank. A few moments later it showed:

Loading, please wait...
No Block Devices Found
No Block Devices Found
Reading All Physical Volumes. This could take a while...
No Volume Groups Found
No Volume Groups Found
No Volume Groups Found

Then the screen went black again and never returned from all black anymore. Besides, the small led that represents "Caps Lock ON" kept blinking forever.

The only way to pull the netbook back to life again was by pressing the power button and keeping it pressed for some time, until the machine powered itself off.

Well, Acronis, can any technician over there give me any help?
If we cannot reach True Image from a boot by the USB flash drive, any backup will be useless...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Howard_G
Beginner

Please, any help?

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Disconnect the network and see if the boot up completes. I understand that you need to have the network connected to access the backup, but for troubleshooting your problem disconnect it temporarily. If you have any other peripherals connected, also disconnect them.

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Have you tried the quiet acpi=off noapic option detailed in Section II of the Read Before You Post thread?

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Howard_G
Beginner

DwnNDrty wrote:
Disconnect the network and see if the boot up completes. I understand that you need to have the network connected to access the backup, but for troubleshooting your problem disconnect it temporarily. If you have any other peripherals connected, also disconnect them.

Thaks for contributing! All disconnected, but problem continues all the same.

Howard_G
Beginner

MudCrab wrote:

Have you tried the quiet acpi=off noapic option detailed in Section II of the Read Before You Post thread?

Yes, I´ve read the "Read Before You Post" hints and I´ve tried them. Did not work.
Thanks for helping!

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Man, you have a "doozy" there. I'm curious as to what is the cause. I wonder if it's the driver for the trackpad that it doesn't like - I'm thinking how some users get a frozen mouse at some stage of the booting. If it is, I don't know how you would get past that. Acronis will have to make a special ISO for you but it has to be put on the flash drive - another stumbling block.

Howard_G
Beginner

DwnNDrty wrote:
Man, you have a "doozy" there. I'm curious as to what is the cause. I wonder if it's the driver for the trackpad that it doesn't like - I'm thinking how some users get a frozen mouse at some stage of the booting. If it is, I don't know how you would get past that. Acronis will have to make a special ISO for you but it has to be put on the flash drive - another stumbling block.

Good point. Unfortunatelly there´s no touchpad/mouse freezing here. What happens is just what is described in the first post.

When I tried the other suggestions (as mentioned on previous posts) nothing changed.
It would be nice if Acronis could give us some technical advice on this subject.

Chris F
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem when booting from a USB flash drive inserted into my HP Mini 1006TU Netbook.  After the 'Loading, please wait...' screen displays the same messages as posted by Howard_G, the screen goes black and the Caps Lock LED starts blinking.  The netbook then must be powered off to reboot.

I have tried the quiet acpi=off noapic options without success.

Although I cannot start the TI graphical environment, I am able to start the System Report feature when booting from the USB flash drive and I have attached the report generated.

AttachmentSize
AcronisSystemReport_Oct_20__2009_12_02_35_PM.zip 21.98 KB
Howard_G
Beginner

Hello, Chris F
Welcome aboard. Probably there are many others facing the same situation.

Unfortunately Acronis has not yet given any word on this problem, even though my model (ASUS 1101HA) is specifically listed as supported.

Loic Joalland
Beginner

Hi all

Same problem on my Asus EeePC 1101HA.

Thanks in advance for any help

Howard_G
Beginner

I got an small hope when I found this:

http://www.acronis.com/r/support/en/kb/388/flash_syslinux.html

So I followed those instructions carefully. At first the boot did not even complete. I´ve found that there was an error on this Acronis recipe:

When we install Netbook edition, the file ramdisk.dat is named ramdisk_merged.dat at \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\.

After copying it to the pen drive, we must rename it (in the pen drive) to ramdisk.dat. Otherwise the SYSLINUX.CFG file will not “see” it in the pen drive.

OK, that worked up to that point. The boot proceeded. BUT...

Suddenly, without even having shown the first True Image screen, the machine produced EXACTLY the same error messages as on my very first post here:

Loading, please wait...
No Block Devices Found
No Block Devices Found
No Volume Groups Found
No Volume Groups Found
No Volume Groups Found

I gave up. Will not keep wasting my time on this one.

Can´t believe Acronis does not read its own forum. Several days already passed without any hint from Acronis engineers here.

Worst, this is a backup product that is completely useless: it does NOT restore!!

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If Acronis are able to fix your problem with an ISO, if you follow Mudcrabs instructions, you'll be able to use Grub on your memory stick and boot the ISO.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

tds
Beginner

I have the same problem. Like Chris F, I have a HP Mini, mine's a Mini 110-1000. I tried booting to the recovery environment from a USB flash drive, a USB hard drive, and a SD card but with always the same result: I get a selection screen allowing me to choose between the Acronis software and Windows, I choose Acronis, there's a blue load screen, then a black Acronis screen. Quickly, it flashes:

Loading, please wait...
No RAID disks
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
No volume groups found
No volume groups found
No volume groups found

Then blank screen, blinking caps lock LED.

Any solution would be appreciated, but I was using only the trial version so I'll likely be seeking other options that work out of the box.

Acronis True Image Home Media Builder Version 13.0.5055

Additional information: when I removed "quiet" from the kernel, the last message appearing was:

Warning: Processor Platform Limit event detected, but not handled.
Consider compiling CPUfreq support into your kernel.

Richard Roumen
Beginner

I have exacly the same problem with my Aspire one. (newest version) Booting from USB or booting from the harddisk does not work. The same messages all the time. For me this product seams a wast of money as I would like to use it when my harddisk has crashed and I start from an external HD

Geo Parnell
Beginner

The EEE PC 1005HA gives the same error. The workstation edition does not do this. What netbooks did they test this on??!

Geo Parnell
Beginner

After a little digging I've discovered the root of the problem (and the solution for some people). One of the differences between the workstation and netbook edition is the ability to add custom device drivers while making your boot media. Unfortunately it appears that the NIC driver is missing for my EEE PC 1005HA and I was able to get it to boot normally after disabling the onboard NIC in BIOS.

Disabling the NIC obviously won't work if you're trying to restore across a network, but it will work if you want to restore from an external HDD or second partition (I don't run antivirus on my netbook so as to squeeze every last Mhz out of its potential). You do not, however, need to disable your WLAN card...perhaps that will suffice.

BTW, I boot off of a 128MB SD card.

Dany Vanesse
Beginner

Same problem on a Packard-Bell : boots from flash USB , displays "Acronis starting" then hangs (black screen forever)

Any idea?

Chris F
Beginner

Unfortunately, the onboard NIC cannot be disabled in the BIOS on my HP Mini Netbook. :>(

However, I also have TI Home 2010 on my home desktop PC and I decided to create the bootable recovery media on a USB flash drive with that version and try booting my netbook from that. Success - it boots successfully and I was able to validate the backup I created with the TI Home 2010 Netbook edition.

So, if you have licensed both versions like me, you have a workaround until the Netbook edition version of the recovery media is fixed. :>)

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Chris F wrote:
Unfortunately, the onboard NIC cannot be disabled in the BIOS on my HP Mini Netbook. :>(

Is the NIC set as the boot device? If you press CRTL+ F10 key when the mini is powered on you will get an admin selection. You have to be quick though.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

james egan
Beginner

I have an EEE PC 1005HA and had the same blank screen problem. Disabling the NIC (LAN) in bios was all that was needed to get it to work (didnt need the noacpi) - thanks Geo! The netbook version of TI worked using an external samsung dvd burner. I had made a backup on a USB disk. Had to select the USB disk by browsing as it wanted to be identified as an F disk instead of an E disk. I selected only the C/D drives (160gb partitioned into 2) but not the MBR as I had done a full restore using the ASUS CD prior, so havent checked that.

Howard_G
Beginner

I had given up all hope on this Netbook Edition, but the idea in Chris F's message (#18 above) was worth trying.

Unfortunately it did not work for my ASUS 1101HA. All I got was *exactly* the same as I've described in the opening post of this thread.

Will Acronis officials never visit this thread ?

Jeremie Lariviere
Beginner

I get the same errors on my 1005HA booting from a regular CD.
Jeremie

Chris F
Beginner

No, the NIC is not set as the boot device.

I assume you mean F10 to select the BIOS configuration option when powering on/restarting?
If so, that is fine, I am able to enter the BIOS setup utility but there is no option on the HP Mini Notebook 110 model to disable the onboard NIC so it can not be detected.

There is the option to enable/disable the booting from the NIC - but this only controls the visibility of the boot menu option 'F12 Network Boot'. This is disabled, but it does not hide the NIC from detection.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

I am familiar with the issue you are experiencing. I see that the issue needs a separate attention and I will take care of it. 

Actually, when you place Acronis Bootable Rescue Media onto an USB flash drive, there can be two reasons of the software malfunction (I develop the idea mentioned by DwnNDrty). 

1) Acronis Bootable Rescue Media fails to handle the hardware properly.

2) Acronis Bootable Rescue Media has been created on the USB flash drive improperly.

If you have a possibility to boot the system from CD-ROM, please burn a CD disk and check its functionality. If this CD doesn't work, please create ISOLINUX CD and check it. You can find the information on how to download the appropriate ISOLINUX file in this article. If the program runs flawless from the CD disk and fails to run from USB flash drive, the issue is localized. In this case you should use SYSLINUX to place the program to USB drive (the article mentioned by Howard). 

If you are unable to boot the system from ISOLINUX CD, we ask our Customers to obtain several diagnostic files and after that our developers create a special custom ISO file for the current case.

Since we are unable to localize the issue using the CD disks, I propose you the following:

Please create a standard  Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (not the ISOLINUX one) and obtain the following information:

1) Could you please boot your computer from USB flash drive and press F11 key after the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and you get to the selection screen of the program?

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the word "quiet", click on the "OK" button and select the Full version menu item to boot. Wait for # prompt to appear. 

If # prompt appears, please type "/bin/product" 

Please describe the program behavior after this command. If it is necessary, please make a photo of the screen by means of your digital camera. 

If # prompt doesn't appear, please make a photo of the screen where the program stops. 

2) Please let me know the exact model of your netbook. 

Let me know via Private Message that you are able to upload the files, I will create a case for you. 

Chris,

Unfortunately, the files you provided didn't help us to find the reason of the issue. 

By the way, 

Quote:
Loading, please wait...

No Block Devices Found
No Block Devices Found
No Volume Groups Found
No Volume Groups Found

This message can be ignored, the most important thing is what follows after this message. 

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Please let me know if the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Howard_G
Beginner

Oleg wrote:

I am familiar with the issue you are experiencing. I see that the issue needs a separate attention and I will take care of it. 

Thank you for showing up and for your willingness to solve the problem.

Oleg wrote:

If you have a possibility to boot the system from CD-ROM, please burn a CD disk

Unfortunately, no external USB CD ROM drive for the netbook here.

Oleg wrote:

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the word "quiet", click on the "OK" button and select the Full version menu item to boot. Wait for # prompt to appear. 

OK, I did it and I got the prompt.

Oleg wrote:

If # prompt appears, please type "/bin/product" 

OK, did it.

Oleg wrote:

Please describe the program behavior after this command. If it is necessary, please make a photo of the screen by means of your digital camera. 

I simply got an all BLACK screen. There was nothing to photograph. The screen never returned from all black anymore. Besides, the small led that represents "Caps Lock ON" kept blinking forever. The only way to pull the netbook back to life again was by pressing the power button and keeping it pressed for some time, until the machine powered itself off.

In other words, I got *exactly the same* problems that I reported on my very first message in this thread and on replies #11 and #21. Absolutely nothing changed.

Oleg wrote:

2) Please let me know the exact model of your netbook. 

ASUS eeePC 1101HA

Sorry for not being able to provide really useful information. I followed the provided guidelines and did my best anyway.

Let me make a suggestion. Acronis says somewhere in its site that ASUS eeePC 1101HA is compatible with TI NetBook Edition, so perhaps Acronis still has one of these units available in its lab.

I would kindly suggest Acronis itself to replicate the program's failure by using its own 1101HA. This would be much faster and error-proof.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Howard,

Thank you for your quick response. Actually, the information you provided is very useful. I got everything I need to submit a request to the appropriate department. Certainly,we have tested the compatibility of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media with ASUS EEE PC 1101HA, but something went wrong. That's why I can request some additional information from you. 

I will let you know the current state of the investigation. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

G_Eckert
Beginner

I can add that I have seen this same problem on an Asus Eee PC 1005HAB, with BIOS 1102 (build date 10/16/09). I tried disabling the WLAN in the BIOS, with no positive effect. However, after disabling the onboard LAN in the BIOS, everything works fine.

Howard_G
Beginner

Oleg wrote:

Hello Howard,

Thank you for your quick response. Actually, the information you provided is very useful. I got everything I need to submit a request to the appropriate department. Certainly,we have tested the compatibility of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media with ASUS EEE PC 1101HA, but something went wrong. That's why I can request some additional information from you. 

I will let you know the current state of the investigation. 

Thank you.

Hi, Oleg,
Thanks for the reply. I will be happy to contribute whenever needed.

P.S.: Could you please ask any Administrator to remove my comment #26 above... Due to a mistake of mine, that thing went up to the forum and I can't find a REMOVE option for deleting it. Thank you.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Howard,

Thank you very much for your readiness to provide us with the additional information. I would like to share the current state of the issue. The case has been forwarded to QA team, and they requested your model of netbook for a further troubleshooting. We already have this model (I mean that we don't need to purchase it), therefore, I expect rather quick resolution. 

I deleted the post #26.

G_Echert,

Thank you very much for your comment. It will help us to expedite the process of resolving the issue. 

Any feedback on my post #24 concerning other models of netbooks is greatly appreciated. 

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you  

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Howard,

Thank you for your patience.

Our Linux developers have created a new Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. Could you please burn it and let us know the results? I am sending the ISO file via Private messages. 

Please let me know the results, your feedback is very important for us. Please send me a Private message after posting your response.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Howard_G
Beginner

Hi Oleg,
I just sent you a private message.

I'm affraid the ISO you provided is for a DVD, not for a pen drive, and I do not have an external DVD reader (see #25 above).

Besides, my ASUS 1101HA was lent to a relative for a trip. Anyway, I may try to test the ISO elsewhere, but please, inform if that ISO can be recorded on a pen drive.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

I would like to share the communication with Howard via Private messages.

I suggested to place the ISO file to a flash drive using SYSLINUX or  Grub4DOS (the guide for Grub4DOS was created by respectable community member Mudcrab). Then we decided to wait until the netbook to be available.

The issue is still under investigation, and we do not have an approved file that will cover all issues described in this thread.  If somebody wants to join us, you are welcome. 

Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if the provided information is not clear or you need a further assistance. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Enrique de Orta
Beginner

Same problem here :-(
looking forward to any new progress..

Enrique de Orta
Beginner

(ASUS 1101HA)
OK I got it working (I'm restoring at the moment) by disabling on de BIOS all I could (LAN, WLAN, USB). I launched Acronis form it's own Boot Manager by pressing F11.

For the moment .. this has worked as a workaround for me ;-)

Marc Malfait
Beginner

Hi Enrique and all other members,

I have the same probleme with a Packard Bell dots KAV60.
What do you mean by I launched Acronis form it's own Boot Manager by pressing F11, can you give a litlle bit more explanation here please. Do you mount the usb drive and then execute the bootmenu.exe or something like that? THX a lot.

Enrique de Orta
Beginner

Well, Acronis Boot Manager is an optional feature you can install when you install acronis which enables a small Boot manager when you start the computer.Then, you can press F11 to run de Acronis software from within your own hard disk.
If you are able to boot normally your computer, I would go back to the acronis installer and check to install this Boot manager. In this situation you would be ready to boot with all USB+LAN disabled.
hope you get lucky ;)

John_A
Beginner

Oleg,

Is there an update/resolution to this issue?

I am trying to run TI Home 2010 Netbook Edition on a new HP Netbook Mini 110 and have exactly the same problem as described in the messages above. [Note: You will find only an older verion registered for me. I bought a new TI Home 2010 for this Netbook but booting from the CD did not work so I have not bothered to register it yet. I then discovered the Netbook Edition and downloaded a trial of it. The rest of this concerns the Netbook Edition.]

For what it is worth, I did try the steps you rquested in post #24. After deleting "quiet" and selecting the full version, numerous boot messages scrolled by. You mentioned that you only cared about messages that came after the "No Volume Groups Found" messages so I will list only those trailing messages here:

$/bin/udevstart
$/bin/sh
$SCSI 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Cruzer Mini 0.4 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] 1000944 512-byte hardware sectors (512 MB)
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] 1000944 512-byte hardware sectors (512 MB)
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
sdb: sdb1
$sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
$sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0

Warning: Processor Platform Limit event detected, but not handled.
Consider compiling CPUfreq into your kernel.

The cursor stayed at the end of "kernel" until I hit "Enter". This gave me the "#" prompt. At this point, I entered "/bin/product" and hit Enter. This resulted in an immediate blank screen with only the Caps Lock LED blinking. I had to power cycle to recover.

Please let me know if you need any other information or wish me to try something else. I am anxiously awaiting a resoluion.

By the way, I get the same results whether I boot from CD or USB.

Thanks,
John_A

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for posting.

The issue is under investigation, our Linux developers are working to create a fix. When the necessary file is available, we will publish the solution. I will update the thread.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

John_A
Beginner

Oleg,

Another week has passed. Can you please give us some kind of update? Without some reason to hope, I will have no choice but to look for another product.

Thanks,
JA

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello John,

Thank you for your question, I will provide you with the explanations of the delay with the resolution. 

Several our Customers have provided us with the required diagnostic information. In accordance with the files provided we had to order some additional hardware to troubleshoot the program behavior. We are still working on the issue, our QA team returned several versions of the customized ISO file back to our developers for improvement. We should be sure that the new file works flawlessly. 

Please let me know if the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Our developers created a new ISOLINUX file that should work flawlessly. 

We uploaded the file to our web site. You can download the appropriate ISO file after logging in to your account (the serial number should be registered). Please log in to your account, go to the Registered products and downloads section -> Bootable media. Download the file.

You can find the information on how to download the appropriate ISOLINUX file in this article. Please see this article on how to burn an ISO file to a CD disk. 

Any feedback concerning the software functionality is greatly appreciated. Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if the provided information is not clear or you need a further assistance. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

G_Eckert
Beginner

The description for the downloadable media is showing as Build 4030, dated September 30, 2009. Is it really a new ISO?

G_Eckert
Beginner

Another odd thing about the file. I downloaded it, and then tried to use WinZip to extract it/view it. WinZip gives an error telling me there are no files to process.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello G_Eckert,

Thank you for the feedback.

The description available at the Registered products and downloads section corresponds to the current build of the program. We have uploaded the new ISOLINUX file yesterday. It is really a new file. 

MD5 values are the following: 

English version: a3ef95ae56fa6cfa3a492fd904760242

German version: 4818f1f488ffa0f2184155ef8bfdb45d

I think you should just burn the ISO file directly to a CD disk. Please see this article on how to burn an ISO file to a CD disk. Let us know the results. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

G_Eckert
Beginner

This might be a silly question, but how will burning the ISO to a CD help those of us who are trying to boot the Netbook via USB drive?

It would be nice if we could download the ISO, navigate the TrueImage installation directories until we found the original Linux ISO, rename the original, copy the new ISO into the correct directory, and then run the boot media creation again. Is something like that possible?

Thanks,

George

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

George,

You could try booting the ISO file from a flashdrive: Using Grub4DOS to Create a Bootable Drive

Note: I haven't tested this method on a Netbook.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

John_A
Beginner

Oleg,

We need a way to run this new ISO from a bootable USB flash. I tried UNetBootin and Grub4DOS but neither worked. With UNetBootin, there was no choice at all in the linux boot menu (after choosing the flash). It just said "Default". With Grub4DOS, it just booted into Windows even though I selected the flash. (I tried it twice.)

I finally gave up and attached a CD drive to my Netbook (HP Mini 110). But, I do not want to rely on CD. Right now, my system is about 30% through a backup (booted from CD) so the new ISO seems to be working -- except for the need to run it from USB.

Can you please provide instructions (or a pointer to them) for creating a bootable USB flash?

Thanks,
John

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for posting your questions, I will be happy to help.

If the solution proposed my MudCrab doesn't work for you, you can use SYSLINUX to create a bootable USB flash drive. Please see this  article on how to do it. 

Please let us know the results, we should be sure that the program runs flawlessly. If the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question do not hesitate to post them and we will be glad to answer.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

John_A
Beginner

Oleg,

Those instructions do not match the new ISO. They speak of ramdisk.dat and kernal.dat files but we have neither. When I unpack the ISO with 7zip, all I see is a file named "Bootable_NoEmulation.img" located within a directory named "[BOOT]".

Please provided further instruction.

Also, when I simply burn the ISO to CD and boot from that (a temporary measure), I get "Undefined video mode number: 317". It presents me with several choices from which I selected #9 - 800x600 32 bit. (I'm using a HP Mini 110 with a native resolution of 1024x600.)

Thanks,
John

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello John,

Thank you for your question.

Actually, you can use any freeware software to extract the files from an ISO file, use Google Search key words like: ISO, extract, file, etc. You will be able to find a great amount of programs for free.

Please see this article on how to set the proper resolution. 

Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if the provided information is not clear or you need a further assistance. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team