5097: Cannot Backup with Acronis True Image 2010 to Network Drive

20 replies [Last post]
Josh Andrews
Beginner

Hello All --

I am having issue with being able to use an eval copy of Acronis True Image 2010 to backup to a network drive. I am trying to image my d: drive, and have no problems storing a backup image to a local location. I am running Windows 7 X64 RC (planning to upgrade to the full version now that it is out, just haven't gotten around to it yet and was hoping to use Acronis as a way to make the transition easier and less risky).

However, when I try to backup to my NAS (running FreeNAS 0.71RC1, http://www.freenas.org/) I keep getting error messages about "A required privilege is not held by the client (0xFFF0).

A few steps I have taken to try to resolve the issue:

1. Downloaded the updated scheduling tool from Acronis' website, installed, and rebooted. No luck.

2. I also tried using the actual sharename -- \\192.168.2.250\Share -- as I know that the actual backup tasks in Acronis may run under another user account that does not recognize mapped drive letters. No help.

3. I have tried to give Acronis credentials as it prompts me to allow it to log on to another resource. This is odd, in that Acronis keeps telling me I haven't supplied authorization credentials no matter how many times I enter them in the "Authorization" dialog box. It's like it is not saving/caching the credentials.

4. Changed the Acronis Scheduler to run as my user account. Doesn't help. Rebooted after doing this, still no help. I had thought that this would work given that although I am not running a domain, my NAS has a user account with the same username and password that I log onto Windows with, and because of this my access to the NAS is normally transparent and requires no logon.

At one point I did see these odd error messages in my NAS log, not sure if it is helpful:

Oct 24 11:27:40 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:27:40, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:27:40 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service acronis
Oct 24 11:27:40 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:27:40, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:27:40 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service acronis
Oct 24 11:27:41 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:27:41, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:27:41 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service acronis
Oct 24 11:27:41 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:27:41, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:27:41 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service acronis
Oct 24 11:27:43 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:27:43, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:27:43 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service acronis
Oct 24 11:27:44 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:27:44, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:27:44 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service acronis
Oct 24 11:28:14 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:28:14, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:28:14 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service sacronis
Oct 24 11:28:14 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:28:14, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:28:14 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service sacronis
Oct 24 11:28:15 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:28:15, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:28:15 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service sharacronis
Oct 24 11:28:15 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:28:15, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:28:15 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service sharacronis
Oct 24 11:28:17 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:28:17, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:28:17 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service sacronis
Oct 24 11:28:18 freenas smbd[2881]: [2009/10/24 11:28:18, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
Oct 24 11:28:18 freenas smbd[2881]: neomillenial (192.168.2.5) couldn't find service sharacronis

Thanks!

James Boyd
Beginner

I am also having this problem, I am running 64 bit Vista Ultimate and I migrated from True Image 2009, where most of my backups were going to a windows file share on a LINUX Server. After I migrated to 2010 all of my scheduled backup tasks lost their Network Authentications and I can't get Acronis to accept my Userid and Password. When I enter my Userid and Password the authentication test fails and Acronis doesn't retain my Userid and Password. True Image 2010 doesn't have any problem finding my Network Drives, it just doesn't seem to be able to validate my credentials correctly and if I don't try to validate, it doesn't save them.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

flapane
Beginner

Same here (Airport) No matter how many times I insert NT credentials, it always says that I didn't provide any authentication.

Scott Fandel
Beginner

I am having the same issue with my Linksys NAS box and no matter what credentials I try it says FAILED. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and never had this issue in Vista or XP with 2009

Christopher Shaker
Beginner

I installed TrueImage 2010, build 5055, on my wife's new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit AMD Athlon X2 6400+ machine, and it backed up to a file on my ReadyNAS via SMB without problems. Took a very long time, but it completed, and verified the backup file aok.

Chris Shaker

Jon Poisel
Beginner

Same here - TIH2010 (trial) can't authenticate against a new Iomega StorCenter ix2 for backup. For that matter, it can't authenticate against any network share, whether NAS or simple share on another computer.

I could gather what info I can, like Oleg suggests in http://forum.acronis.com/forum/5125 vis:

1) Windows System Information File;
2) The operation log of the product;
3) Wireshark logs.

and PM it, but c'mon - there are multiple complaints about NAS backups with both TIH2010 and ABR2010, all very recently posted.

The question is: what's in it for me?

I have three licenses for TIH11, and I know my XP Pro box and my Vista Premium laptop, both with TIH11, can access the NAS just fine. My Win7 Pro x64 box can access the NAS with no problem, but TIH2010 on that box (after a long delay) only sees it - it can't authenticate.

I've received an email from Acronis with a good upgrade price offer, but I'm not going to pay to be a beta tester.

Suggestions?

Jon Poisel
Beginner

Oh, darn it - I guess I'm too much of the helpful techie to keep useful information to myself.  I got TUH2010 to work (at least for an initial Full Backup) by trying a variation of the suggestion Oleg made in http://forum.acronis.com/forum/5125

* When setting up the backup, select the "Partitions to back up" in the "What to back up" section as normal.

* Next, when you select "Archive Location", you will notice that the "Optional Settings" section below becomes available. You will also notice that TIH suggests a default path and tib filename in the Backup Location field. Click the Browse button and browse to your desired NAS backup location (you may have to wait a while for it to become available under the Network section).

* Select your desired NAS directory and optionally change the suggested filename. "Authentication Settings" becomes available - do not try to Authenticate here! Simply verify that you have selected your desired path and entered your desired filename and click OK.

* Assuming you haven't encountered it previously and checked the "Do not show this message again" box, you will receive a warning of "You have selected a remote source and have not specified credentials for it. Do you want to continue?", with additional explanatory text. Click the Yes button to continue.

(If you had tried to authenticate here, you would still receive authentication failures like this thread discusses, plus, if you try to "OK" without a successful test , that window just hangs).

* Now select the "Scheduling" link under Optional Settings. Select "Once Only" and the date/time you want TIH to run, and below you will see Run With Credentials. Here is where you enter your NAS username/password (if your NAS requires un/pw). Click Next (note that if you are sure you don't need NAS credentials and you don't enter them before you click Next, TIH will pop-up a warning: "The login information is not valid. Are you sure you want to continue?" Click Yes.) to go through the remaining optional settings. changing whatever you need, until you reach the Proceed button and click it to finish setting up the backup.

The backup should then run successfully!

Hope this helps. I'm still hesitant to upgrade my three licenses, though, until this bug is taken care of. I hope Acronis' discount offer remains valid until it IS fixed.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

I understand the reason of the issue and will do everything possible from my side to give you a clear explanation.

There can be several reasons of the encountered issue.

1) If you use Acronis True Image Home, map the drive by computer name by using a batch file. For complete instructions see Saving an Image to a Mapped Drive from an Acronis Backup Task Fails Sporadically. The instructions on how to manage the necessary settings for Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 are posted in this thread.

2) There may also be an issue with not recognizing long folder names in NAS. Try using shorter folder names (e.g. less than eight characters in a name).

3) Set the proper permissions for NAS shared folder. The description on how to set the necessary permissions from within Windows are described in this article. The description on how to set these permissions  for NAS folders should be available in the documents that come with the device.  

Jon, thank you for sharing your experience. 

If the issue still persists, please collect the files as it is described in this thread and let me know about it via Private Message

Any feedback on the issue is greatly appreciated. 

Please let me know if the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Phillip Carroll
Beginner

@Oleg:

You have missed the point of Jon's post.

First, the issue reported here has NOTHING TO DO with server permissions.  It has to do with the correct means for entering UNC credentials in TrueImage Home.  Secondly, the information your referred us to in thread 5125 does not pertain to TrueImage Home.  It pertains to Acronis Backup and Recovery.

Jon is CORRECT!  The credentials for a UNC backup destination MUST BE ENTERED on the Schedule page of backup script setup.  If the credentials are entered correctly on that page, the backup will work. The backup will not work unless the credentials are entered on that specific page.  

The user must be entered using the syntax:   machine\user

For instance:  MyNAS\Phil

Jon is incorrect on one point:  It does not matter which type of scheduling one chooses.  Anything other than "do not schedule" will reveal the credentials portion of the dialog, and they will work if entered correctly.

I find exactly the same issue using TI Home 2009, and exactly the same solution. 

My personal belief is the "authentication" button on the destination dialog actually enters credentials for the TASK THAT RUNS THE BACKUP on the client machine.  If this is left alone, I believe the task runs using the credentials of the script creator.

One would expect to enter credentials for the target (destination) folder on the dialog where that folder is selected, and the credentials for the scheduler on the scheduler dialog.  But, it is actually EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, which is very confusing.  Either there is a documentation issue, or TI 2009/2010 developers have unfortunately reversed where these two sets of credentials are entered.

Jon Poisel
Beginner

@Oleg

You wrote:

> 1) If you use Acronis True Image Home, map the drive by computer name by using a batch file. For complete instructions see Saving an Image to a Mapped Drive from an Acronis Backup Task Fails Sporadically. The
> instructions on how to manage the necessary settings for Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 are posted in
> this thread.

Did that, didn't make a difference.

> 2) There may also be an issue with not recognizing long folder names in NAS. Try using shorter folder names
> (e.g. less than eight characters in a name).

The folder name is "Backup"

> 3) Set the proper permissions for NAS shared folder. The description on how to set the necessary permissions
> from within Windows are described in this article. The description on how to set these permissions  for
> NAS folders should be available in the documents that come with the device.  

The backup folder by default is fully read/writable by anyone. Regardless whether I set security via the NAS web interface or per the instructions you cite, the problem remains.

> Jon, thank you for sharing your experience. 

You're welcome, and I hope it helps others.

> If the issue still persists, please collect the files as it is described in this thread and let me know about it
> via Private Message.

And here we have a problem - the eval period expired before I saw your post (btw, I set "Notify me when new comments are posted", but I never received any notifications - and no, if any were sent, they didn't get caught in my spam filters/junk email, either).

I'm in a dilemma - I don't want to upgrade until this is addressed, and I'm not sure the $29.95 upgrade offer is still valid anyway, since I keep getting followup "offers" at higher per-unit upgrade pricing.

I upgraded my XP Pro box to Small Business Server 2003 - I assume I can't use the XP TIH11 license for SBS 2003, so I have three licenses for TIH11, of which only one can be used.

I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. TIH11 continues to work properly for my Vista Ultimate computer, I'm still shopping around for a solution for my "new" SBS 2003 server - like your SBS Server Suite, but it's way too pricey for a three computer (including server) setup - and I now have no backup solution other than Windows' built-in for my Win 7 Pro x64 system.

As Phillip noted in his reply to you, your recommended solutions either aren't directly associated with TIH20(09/10) or they simply don't make sense - if a scheduled backup works but an immediate one doesn't, and that problem is cropping up in your newer versions, doesn't it make sense to investigate your immediate authentication code rather than give out instructions on the assumption that the user is doing something wrong?

To summarize - TIH11 on Vista Ultimate and XP Professional works correctly with my NAS, TIH2010 on Win7 Pro x64 does not, even though that machine can otherwise handle the NAS just fine.

edit: I also want to note ahead of time that all backups are performed under full Administrator accounts, whether in Immediate or Scheduled modes.

If somebody there can re-activate the TIH2010 trial installation on that machine, I'll be happy to PM and work with y'all on troubleshooting this problem, but I don't feel comfortable buying the upgrade until I see that this issue has been addressed.

@Phillip

Thanks for your followup, with a quibble - I wouldn't say I was "incorrect", since I did caveat at the beginning of the post that "I got TUH2010 to work (at least for an initial Full Backup)"... I simply listed my instructions based on what I knew worked: a scheduled Full Backup. <grin>

Phillip Carroll
Beginner

@jon

Your quibble is correct. You were not so much incorrect as too restrictive.

I have been using Acronis for years, so in addition to 2009, I have several earlier Acronis versions. My batch files were carried forward from them. I have also been using old scripts that although they will run by the 2009 scheduler, they can't be edited under 2009. I didn't get around to trying to develop some new scripts until last week. In the 2009 version, the documented means of credential entry for UNC targets is so obscure, it took me a while to find it. When I found it, I discovered that although UNC credentials entered there would verify OK using the button, when the script was run it would not even start. Because my pre-backup batch file does a network login, there obviously must be network activity if it is called. But absolutely zero network activity takes place. I then discovered errors in the Win7 event log that indicate local login errors. Putting everything together: The script was trying to login locally at startup using the credentials I entered for the NAS.

Your post jogged my memory that the earlier version wizards also had two places for credential entry (but the dialog was much easier to understand in the earlier wizards). The entry locations are at the identical steps in the wizard, but 2009 got the handling backwards--- at some level of the software. Your pointer to the other credential entry as the place to enter NAS credentials was the eye-opener for me. That page is supposed to be for entering credentials for the scheduler to run the script. (Which would be needed if nobody was logged in)

The 2009 wizard is better than my earlier version, in that the 2009 wizard lets you freely jump around, but they clearly blew the handling of credentials in that version of the wizard, and evidently carried the error forward to the 2010 version.

The basic Acronis technology is great. Saved my bacon numerous times. However, the obvious absence of internal testing of this extremely important feature over the span of two major versions is inexplicable, particularly with so many reports of the problem. Users eventually get ticked and move to another product. A real pity. This kind of thing can really hurt a product.

This is the kind of thing that takes a developer 15 minutes to fix, but then they have to worry about breaking all of the working scripts used by people out there who either figured out the reversal of where to enter credentials or just happened to put them in the place that works.

Joe Baviello
Beginner

I only experience this using a windows PE based boot disc, or from a windows machine with the management console installed. I cannot access my DLINK nas with any credentials. I do not have this issue using a linux based boot disc however. Not sure if that helps anyone or if there is a fix for this yet.

Phillip Carroll
Beginner

This thread has nothing to do with booting anything. The thread is about scheduling image backups with a network drive as the target, where login credentials are required.

Thomas Nützmann
Beginner

Hello all,
I just want to mention that I have the same problem. Maybe I have some additional information that could help finding an solution (@Acronis).
I have a LINUX server running debian with a smb share for my Windows backups. My Windows client is a Windows 7 64bit Home Prof where TIH 2010 resides on. The smb share is permanentely connected to my Windows client as a network drive with a letter "Y:". Thus it is guaranteed that the user credentials are sufficient for writing on that network drive.
When I'm planning a new backup task I can access that drive where to store the *.tib file. At that moment where I have to enter the user credentials. TIH says that the network drive will not be available for that user credentials.
I was using the same LINUX server (with smb) before with TIH 2009. At this time I had a Win XP 32bit client and no problem accessing the network drive. The user/passwd is unchanged since then.
In my opinion TIH 2010 has a problem with Windows 7 64 bit in that particular case.

Jon Poisel
Beginner

Damn it, I'm getting ticked off - I replied to Oleg, there are multiple posters with the same problem, and yet now I've missed the $29.95 TIH2010 with Plus Pack upgrade because nobody at Acronis wants to verify that this IS a problem and what the official workaround and time frame to fix this is.

I'm rightfully hesitant to jump on the upgrade bandwagon when something as fundamental as network authentication is flawed, and I don't think I should have to miss out on those upgrade prices while waiting for a fix!

What is being done about this, what is the status??

James Hall
Beginner

I am also having the very same problem. We have 5 WinXP machines on a domain. I have a Synology Disk Station NAS. Using TI Home 2009, there is no problem authenticating and backing up each one to a separate directory on the NAS. However when I upgraded one machine to TI Home 2010, authentication ceased to function for the NAS no matter what I did. This is despite being able to log in to the NAS drive separately. I tried mapping to a network drive - nothing works. Presently, I'm using an external drive for this specific computer and holding off upgrading the other machines until this is resolved.

Jamie

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

please accept our apologies for the delay with the response and for the difficulties you've experienced.

Let me assist you with the issue.

First of all, I may recommend you to check the shared folder permissions:

1. Navigate to the shared folder;
  2. Right-click on the folder. Choose Properties;
  3. Click the Security tab. If there is no Security tab, please see Microsoft KB Article 307874;
  4. On the Security tab click Advanced;
  5. On the Permissions tab of Advanced Security Settings select the user account under which you are going to save backup archives to the shared folder. Click Edit;
  6. On the Permission Entry screen set the following values:

Applies onto: This folder, subfolder and files

Permissions Allow Deny
Full Control    
Traverse Folder / Execute File  
List Folder / Read Data  
Read Attributes    
Read Extended Attributes  
Create Files / Write Data    
Create Folders / Append Data  
Write Attributes  
Write Extended Attributes  
Delete Subfolders and Files  
Delete  
Read Permissions  
Change Permissions  
Take Ownership  

Additionally, I may suggest you to have a look at this KB article to have some more information on how to back up to a NAS.

(!) Please be aware that Windows editions of Acronis products do not support Linux NFS shares

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Jon Poisel
Beginner

Hi Ilya,

As mentioned by myself and others here, previous versions of TIH on earlier versions of Windows *DO* work correctly with our NAS units.

I had already tried your suggestion re checking permissions when Oleg suggested it. My folder's name is "Backup", so it's not a name length issue, nor does mapping that folder to a drive letter help.

The only things that changed were upgrading to a new OS and to TIH 2010.

Can you please explain why my Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit laptop and my XP Pro 32-bit desktop, both with TIH11, can do scheduled backups just fine to this NAS, yet TIH2010 on Windows 7 Pro 64 cannot?

Thank you.

Phillip Carroll
Beginner

As it happens, TIH 2009 works fine on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a NAS (Samba, embedded Linux) provided the technique outlined in post #6 in this thread is followed. TIH 2009 switches the remote credentials entered for the NAS with the credentials (if any) entered for the scheduler.

It is possible this same bug is carried into TIH 2010. Have you tried switching where you enter the credentials? I don't have TIH 2010 to try it, and do not plan to upgrade unless/until this question is resolved.

James Hall
Beginner

Hello Ilya and others:

Thanks for the return comments. Ilya, it might be useful to understand that from a client computer, you cannot change the attributes of the shares on a NAS. Doing as you said, you can change the properties of the icon.

The NAS has its own program to setup folders, name them, and set passwords and access. In my case, it's called Synology. The machine has an embedded Linux OS, so I don't know if this is the base problem. All I know is that everything worked perfectly prior to upgrading to TIH 2010.

Will stand by.

Jamie

jfh
Beginner

I'm having this problem with 2010 and Windows 7. I'm having this same problem with Norton Ghost. Exactly the same.

My target is an independent network drive that can act as either a wireless NAS or a connected USB drive (one at a time). Fortunately I can do my backup with USB connection, switch the drive back to LAN (mechanical switch), and still explore the backups. That's better than Ghost. In that application, I cannot even explore the backups. I only want to use one backup; and i would certainly prefer Acronis.

I don't intend to do a full backup over the LAN. This is a Home network. I only want to backup folders. I can always connect as USB for the full backup. Too much trouble.

update:

I'm am able to ignore the credentials errors - just keep pressing OK - ignore the warning in the end. The backup continues successfully. I can work with this. Minor problem is all. This will not even work with Norton Ghost. Ghost will not let you by the request to enter user/pw. Acronis will.