5282: Acronis True Image Home 2010 Creates Data Files In WINXP Windows/system32 Folder

60 replies [Last post]
Robert Miller
Beginner

Acronis True Image Home 2010 creates a series of 534,499 data files in the WinXP windows/system32 folder when using nonstop backup. The program finally fills up the disk and the user receives a disk full system error. The data files are not deleted when the program is closed and the user must manually delete the data files to correct the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution????

AttachmentSize
Acronis_Data_File.jpg174.94 KB
Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Robert,

Thank you for using Plugin <em></em> Not Found

I have requested the appropriate information from our developers. Actually, the program shouldn't create any files at C:\WINDOWS\system32.

Could you please let us know the following?

- What is the exact name of the mentioned folder? 

- What are the settings for your Non-stop backup? Which partitions have you protected and where have you placed the storage for Non-stop backup?

- How have you identified that the folder is related to Acronis software? 

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Geoffrey Northey
Beginner

I just experienced the same problem. Suddenly started getting "Disk space extremely low" messages for my 640 GB primary (C:) drive. When I reclaimed space by moving or deleting data or programs it disappeared again almost immediately. Initially, I thought that my C: drive might be failing so replaced it with a 1TB drive but found that disk space started disappearing in large amounts again.

I then worked my way through the C: folders, found that the Windows/System32 folder was using an abnormal amount of disk space, and then determined that the System 32 folder contained 640 Data Files, each 1GB in size. Couldn't determine where the data files originated so did a Google search and found Robert's comment above. I turned Acronis Non-stop Backup off, deleted the 640 data files manually and reclaimed all my lost disk space. Problem solved!

I have been using Acronis True Image for some years and have been very happy with it, especially with the Clone feature, which has helped me avoid disaster on more than one occasion. As a result, I upgraded to the latest version recently to take advantage of the Non-stop Backup feature. Given the aggravation and lost ime in dealing with this problem, this has been a most disappointing upgrade experience.

Protected Partition: C:
Non-stop Backup Storage: F: (A separate 750 GB drive is partitioned as two drives (E: - 250 GB, and F: - 500 GB).

Geoffrey Northey
Beginner

Neglected to state in my previous comment that I have a Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit operating system.

Jerry Swords
Beginner

I am also having this problem. I upgraded from TI Home 11 to TI Home 2010 to get the benefits of Nonstop Backup. After installing 2010, creating a new full backup, setting up Nonstop Backup to protect partition C, with storage going to Disk I, Nonstop Backup created its first full backup on Disk I, as expected. Then after about 2 hours, NSB just stopped. I turned it back on, and the NSB tray icon indicated that a new backup was being slowly built, but no files in the Time Explorer folder on Drive I were being updated.

A short while later, NSB turned off again. I tried deleting the backup file on Drive I, and restarted NSB. The tray icon indicated that a backup was again being built. A bit later, I started getting "Disk Full" errors from WinXP. I stopped NSB again, and found that NSB had stored the following files in my C:/Windows/System32/ directory: .data, 1.data, 2.data, 3.data, ... 19.data. There is also a file called .metadata, that I think belongs to NSB, but I'm not sure. Regardless, these files added up to almost 20GB, and filled my C: drive.

I deleted these files (except for .metadata), and cleared the "Protected Partitions" and "Storage for nonstop backups" in TI Home 2010. I then selected C: for protected partition, and I: for storage partition, clicked on "Nonstop Backup is off Click to turn on, and got the following error: "Partition with the nonstop backup partition cannot be found. Please reselect the partition or choose another one to store nonstop backups to." The odd thing is that this error message appears on top of my options which show "Protected Partitions: System Disk (C:)" and "Storage for nonstop backups: Local Disk (I:)". I can browse Local Disk I with Windows Explorer, but NSB doesn't seem to be able to find it.

Now, when I click on the drive names for either the protected partition or storage partition to change them, TI 2010 does nothing.

I am using build 6053 of ATI Home 2010, and WinXP sp3.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I only hope that when I need to do a recovery with this upgraded software, that I don't have similar issues.

Any ideas?

John Farlam
Beginner

Greetings from Ireland!

Same here... Wasted a lot of time today before i discovered where the disk space was going and then discovered this forum...

Non-stop has been running fine for just over two weeks and then today I got an error message telling me it couldn't find the archive - at the same time I ran out of space on C drive.

Last file written to the 'time explorer storage' directory on the allocated backup drive was yesterday at 09:14 - first file written to system32 folder was yesterday at 16.01, i had hardly been using the PC yesterday and so that might account for the time lag. System32 is currently 325 gigs in size!

Am currently backing up the whole system (including spurious files) and will then delete the rogue files in system32... It seems this has worked for Robert and Geoffrey (above) hope it works for me!

Have mailed Acronis support...

Edit: A couple of hours later...

Deleted all the .data files and the metadata file from the system32 folder and everything is fine. Still waiting for a response from Acronis but won't be using non-stop-backup (the reason i upgraded!) until this bug is fixed... back to twice a day incremental backups!

Steven Cantu
Beginner

I to experieced this issues. It almost appears like If you put your system to sleep or hibernate or force a shutdown while NSB is running these files get create in the Windows\system32 directory. Each file is 1GB the first file is named .DATA the second is 1.DATA, and the third is 2.DATA and everyone after this is a sequenial progression until your disk is full.

I'm running ATI Home 2010 on a Toshiba Satellite 2GHz 4GB 500GB and 200GB running Vista Ultimate 32 SP2

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

Same deal. Just started this baloney yesterday for no reason that I could find. Did nothing different. Have been running TI with just the usual (large) amount of bugs since I upgraded more than a month ago. Now Windows/System32 is loaded with DATA files, numbered until the partition is full-- 1 gigabyte each.

This together with the other bugs-- especially the several minutes it takes to edit a task (goes into non-responsive mode for minutes on end) in this software signals the last upgrade of this product for me. Like another poster mentioned Acronis has already botched Disk Director 10 with the Windows 7 64-bit issue mentioned all over the Disk Director part of the forum. If they didn't put out another version of TI every single year but got one version right we'd be a good shape but the need for the almighty upgrade dollar has kept this slow train to nowhere chugging along year after year, version after version with nagging issues not resolved before the next one comes out twelve months later.

TI is a cash cow that has given about all the milk it's gonna give before a stampede starts towards another company with real quality control. I own version 5,7,9,11 and 2010 of TI and two versions of Disk Director and a bunch of stuff they don't even make any more-- it doesn't get better-- it's too ridiculous for words.

For now I just shut off the NSB and if it can't be resolved I am uninstalling it, deleting it and going back to TI-11 until I can find a different product. Already had to with Disk Director.

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

I received and then replied to an email from Dmitry Petroukhin, on the TI team where I went through this and other problems with TI 2010 line by line, symptom by symptom and have heard not one word back. That was December 15th. This thread was opened in mid-November by Robert Miller. Has anybody gotten back to anybody? This is the service I bellyached about on my post above. The only reason I got an email from Mr. Petroukhin was I was sent an invite to test two additional products inside of a month and I wrote him back to ask that he fix the one that is already out there before he starts another new product.

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

We're really sorry for the delay with the response.

To investigate the issue we need additional information.

Please collect the following information and contact me via Private Message, I'll create a FTP account to upload the gathered information.

1. Please obtain a Process Monitor log:

• Download Process Monitor from this link and run it;
  • Reproduce the issue without closing the utility;
  • Click File ->Save in the main Process Monitor window;
  • Select All events and save the log file in the PML, CSV or XML format.
  • Please compress created file.

2. Please create a screen shots of /Windows/System32 folder and its properties before and after Non-Stop Backup.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

Personally, I shut the feature off. When my C drive filled up my PC would not reboot into the OS-- don't know why. I had to use a latop to find out online how to go into the Win 7 repair console and locate and delete the files TI had put there. Then my system booted up with no problem. The feature is shut off and my intention is to keep it off. I do daily images of my pertinent partitions and really don't see a use for it. I put my old TI-11 back on my main PC being that holds all the important data. I could stick TI-2010 on my latop or my kids machine to see if it does the same I suppose. Maybe one of the other posters here would give it a shot?

Pierre Prégent
Beginner

Hello From Montréal
I am running windows 7 ultimate with True Image Home 2010 and running into the same problem. C:\ drive 1Gb with aprox 250 Gb of data backing onto a raid array of 1.82 Tb with 1.62 Tb of free space.. I was getting a out of space error from TI Nonstop Backup. Now after a hard reboot I have 682 files of (.data;1.data;2.data;etc to 682.data) of 1048576 bytes each

Please do not use Nonstop Backup because there is a bug with this sub programme. The rest of TI home 2010 is great. After searching into the Forum and faq It does not seem to be a solution so far

Salut
Pierre

David Eastwood
Beginner

I agree with the other comments in this forum and also suspect it's something to do with a forced shutdown or hibernation or perhaps an aborted NSB.

I am backing up to an internal harddisk which is solely for backups. My C drive similarly became full and I found a series of *.data files in c:\windows\system32, each being the same size as those normally stored in Timeexplorer.

I ran regedit and noted that in Acronis setting the WorkDirectory is set as C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\

This would seem to indicate that when NSB is running it does add files to this directory which seems to be sloppy programming. A temp directory as part of TimeExplorer would seem to be a more sensible place to put this working directory so if files are created on a NSB which is subsequently aborted, it could at least be cleaned up properly.

Using SYSTEM32 as a working directory increases the used space on your c drive. Not only is this not a clever idea, it also increases the size of any differential backups created using the normal scheduled backup procedure.

A cleanup facility should be made available either as a separate utility or incorporated in the next bug fix of TI2010 to clean up these erroneous files.

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

Great observation, great suggestion for solution. Now we wait for a response. The problem matches up with your observations exactly.

David Eastwood
Beginner

David Eastwood wrote:
I agree with the other comments in this forum and also suspect it's something to do with a forced shutdown or hibernation or perhaps an aborted NSB.

I am backing up to an internal harddisk which is solely for backups. My C drive similarly became full and I found a series of *.data files in c:\windows\system32, each being the same size as those normally stored in Timeexplorer.

I ran regedit and noted that in Acronis setting the WorkDirectory is set as C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\

This would seem to indicate that when NSB is running it does add files to this directory which seems to be sloppy programming. A temp directory as part of TimeExplorer would seem to be a more sensible place to put this working directory so if files are created on a NSB which is subsequently aborted, it could at least be cleaned up properly.

Using SYSTEM32 as a working directory increases the used space on your c drive. Not only is this not a clever idea, it also increases the size of any differential backups created using the normal scheduled backup procedure.

A cleanup facility should be made available either as a separate utility or incorporated in the next bug fix of TI2010 to clean up these erroneous files.

Since writing this I have had another go at getting NSB running. I changed my drive letter of my backup drive from X: to K: rebooted, set it to backup to K:, cancelled NS backup and changed drive back to X:, rebooted and setup NSB to backup to X: again. I had a bit of difficulty with it not finding the storage area and tried a number of I now find that Settings/WorkDirectory is set to c:\

I manually deleted the *.data files and the .metadata file that I had in c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and now don't seem to have any appearing anywhere on the C: drive.

Is the WorkDirectory setting relevant to the creation of the *.data files? I imagine it is. Why these files are ever created on the C: drive is a question I would like resolved, plus have some reasons as to what triggers this activity in the first place and how re-occurrence can be avoided. Time Explorer Storage files are named cdp*.data and not 1.data etc. Is this relevant?

Peter Andresen
Beginner

I have the same problem on win7 ult 64.
contacted acronis though the online chat last week and the techi who took over control of the laptop took 2 hours trying to sort this out. he could see the c drive filling up as the nonstop backup was running. after he changed a few directory settings he told me to reboot and it should be ok....
guess what its still the same.
I filled in the email next day for input about the problem so they could carry on where it was left but dispite 2 further emails to acronis support no further contact has been made from them.
In the uk pcpro mag has awarded 2010 an A list recommendation. some owners of this product have commented on the review with warnings about its problems.
so far pcpro have not rejected its A list placement nor has acronis owned up to the flaws in this consumer product

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

It has now been four months since Robert Miller brought up this issue and over a month since anyone from Acronis updated us in any way. Meanwhile several new products are being developed-- does anyone else see some bent priorities here?

Benedict Heal
Beginner

I too suffer from the .data problem. I upgraded only to get the non-stop backup but have had to stop using this because of the /system32 problem.

However What I find most depressing is the lack of Acronis concern and feedback about the problem. If they do not care about NSB, how much can I trust them to mend bugs in the main product. I am now having to start considering other backup solutions. Does anyone have recommendations?

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

I would like to update the current state of the issue. Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response. Our QA team was unable to reproduce the issue, and currently  it is under jurisdiction of our developers. If somebody agrees to collect some diagnostic files for a further troubleshooting, please send me a Private Message. We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience. If the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question do not hesitate to post them and we will be glad to answer. Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Tom Barkas
Beginner

I am having the same problem on a winXP computer on which I do non-stop backup. I've only just relaised what was causing the system32 directory to fill up with 1 Gb data files.
What is strange is I do non-stop backup on anotehr computer with WinXP and don't have this problem.
Any ideas? Will look into the difference.

Tom Barkas
Beginner

I am having the same problem on a winXP computer on which I do non-stop backup. I've only just relaised what was causing the system32 directory to fill up with 1 Gb data files.
What is strange is I do non-stop backup on anotehr computer with WinXP and don't have this problem.

Tom Barkas
Beginner

What is strange is I do non-stop backup on another computer with WinXP and don't have this problem.

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

I figured I was griping the hardest I may as well make a contribution to a solution so Oleg sent me some info, I have set my traps and am trying to reproduce what the heck is going on with this thing. I'm under the impression like a gentleman above a few posts that we need to have a 'perfect storm' for this to happen and what the components are of the perfect storm we have to figure out. In about seven days I have done everything except throw my PC against the wall to try and get it to happen again and so far no such luck.

If we all tried to put our heads together and figure out what we all have in common when this happened we can put a spotlight on it. The OS isn't the connection. I run both Vista 32 bit and Win 7 64 bit on my machine and it's happened on both and now Tom's XP system is a victim as well. I think we can write that one commonality off anyway.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for posting.

Gary,

I would like to  express our appreciation for your efforts. Thank you very much for your patience and readiness to help. 

Our QA Team spent a lot of time in trying to reproduce the issue with no luck. Probably, our developers will be able to fix the issue without additional files. We should wait for the next build release, we expect it soon. The exact date of the release is unknown.

If the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question do not hesitate to post them and we will be glad to answer.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Tom Barkas
Beginner

WinXP Home edition.

The plot thickens. I turned off NSB and changed to a daily backup scheduled for 02.00 each day and still got a system32 folder filled with 1 Gb 1.data etc files (about 150 Gb worth) - strange thing is it started at 16.40 when the computer wasn't being used, then continued uninterrupted till 00.54, when the disk space ran out

Tom Barkas
Beginner

With Acronis 2010, I seem to have two problems (maybe related?).

1. On non-stop backup, at irregular intervals, I get a whole series of files called 2.data, 3.data etc (each just over 1 Gb) dumped in the Windows/system32 folder. This sometimes stops after a few, but usually goes on to fill the 160 Gb hard drive. I turned off NSB and went to daily backups and the same thing happened. I turned off scheduled backups and the same thing happened.

2. A problem for me has been that the computer is not at home, but at a Mountain Rescue base that I visit when I can, so it’s been difficult to check what causes this. However, tonight, I turned up to find it making .data files every 3-4 min, the last of which, timed for when I started using the computer, was about 960 Mb instead of the slightly over 1 Gb of all the rest (presumably it's something that happens when the computer is idle). I turned on Task Manager and found afcdpsrv.exe running, taking up all the CPU and 168 Mb of RAM. When I stopped this, CPU use dropped to almost zero. Afcdpsrv.exe is supposedly an Acronis programme involved in non-stop backup, but this is with no non-stop backup or any scheduled backups of any sort. Since I stopped afcdpsrv.exe (2 days ago), it hasn’t happened again. I’ve now uninstalled Acronis using the Cleanup tool, then cleaned up after it.

I think the two problems, listed in two separate topics in this Forum, might be related.

WP
Beginner

Hello! I have just run in to this same issue on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit install. It just started yesterday and appears to have stopped this morning, after filling my C:\ drive (windows\system32 folder). Are there any updates to report? Does the new version of Acronis 2010 resolve this issue?

Thank you!

WP
Beginner

Well, I have just updated to 7046 and the problem with NSB still remains...I thought that perhaps the Time Explorer Storage folder was corrupt so, I renamed it, then restarted NSB...it created a new Time Explorer Storage folder, then proceeded to create the x.data files in C:\windows\system32! Perhaps it is time to look at another product for back ups?

WP
Beginner

What's more, even though I can see the Time Explorer Storage folder (it is on an external drive connected via eSata), if I try to recover using Time Explorer, I get an error message stating that the archive cannot be found. This happened both before I installed 7046 and after, as well as before and after renaming the original Time Explorer folder. The error message has the following event code:

0x00D60027+0x00040011+0x0000FFF0

David Hauser
Beginner

I too am having the same problem. I'm using NonStop backup to backup six computers to a separate internal hard drive in each computer, all running XP Pro SP3. So far, three out of six have experienced this problem. The only way to solve it for me was to delete all the .data files from C:\Windows\system32\ , then uninstall and reinstall Acronis TI, but only after using the TI Cleanup Utility after the uninstall.

Note that simply uninstalling TI then reinstalling DID NOT work. I had to use the TI cleanup utility (with Windows uninstaller and Devcon in place in the C:\Windows\system32\ folder.

It seems that when for some reason TI Home (Build 7046) cannot find the second hard drive (which is weird in the first place as Windows always sees the second drive), it reverts to a default location which is C:\Windows\system32\ and just keeps the backup going.

All of the discussion here, including the contributions by the Acronis team - ignore the obvious and that is clearly the fact that someone made a big mistake. I'm willing to speculate that the program is set up to use a default location of C:\Windows\system32\ as a working directory and that perhaps the machines experiencing the problem have some other rare internal error which prevents TI from seeing the correct location which is why the problem isn't widespread. That would speak to the method employed by TI to locate the correct location.

It seems it would be simple enough to make TI Home halt the backup process if the directory to store backups can't be found, presenting the user with several options: Either browse to find the directory with a checkbox to "Remember Location" or Choose a different location, or simply stop the backup process.

This would alert users that something is wrong so they can fix the problem instead of filling up the OS drive until it becomes full.

Another suggestion would be to have TI write the directory chosen to the registry when the backup plan is configured, with an overwrite occurring whenever the location is changed in the backup setup. While this would require a restart after a backup plan is created, I'm sure users would rather restart a computer rather than face this problem.

Manfred Giezendanner
Beginner

Same problem for me ... until today, when I removed an invalid key in the Windows registry, and afterwards Nonstop Backup started to work again.

The "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\File CDP Service\Settings\Sessions" key contained two subkeys (e.g. 4C380198-5133-445B-9DEB-F74B9C63C488), and one of them contained settings which could only be invalid, so I removed it.

Hoping you all will have success, as well.

Hartmut König
Beginner

This problem was first posted on 2009.10,29. the last reply from ACRONIS is from 2010.03.10. We are now in late June 2010 and ther is still no solution offered by ACRONIS. I have had this problem now three or four times and will no longer use nonstop backup, and when I find a solution form another software provider I will uninstall Acronis and never use further products of Acronis.

Hartmut König
Beginner

Well I found one solution, which is not satisfying.
1. Uninstall Trueimage with Revo Uninstaller, delete all your time storage directories.
2: Search Registry with Regseeker
3. Delete all entries founded (nearly 400!!!!!) except these once in "path"
4. InstallTtrueimage onbce more (pleas have your serial numbers at you hand)
5. Restart you PC
6. Restart non stop back and select you harddisk to be secured and the store hard disk
7. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT,
8. Congratulations, you have a backup of your actual system
9. Wait for the next "Backup directory is full" or "cannot be found"
10 If you have any notice as under 9. and you have made meanwhile a extra backup (not a NONSTOP) feel happy,
11. Start Acronis Trueimage, and with a little bit of luck, tomorrow morning you will have a new nonstop backup
12. you can thank ACRONIS support, for the help
Hartmut

Pierre Prégent
Beginner

Hi Hartmut

I second your motion
Last spring it took me 2 days to get my system working again.
Now I don't use nonstop backup any more To bad it was a good tries but it don't work

Pierre

CHRISTIAN GUILLOT
Beginner

Bonjour,

aujourd'hui après un arrêt brutal de ma machine, Sauvegarde Ininterrompue s'est mise à créer des fichiers dans windows\system32.

Jusqu'ici, je n'avais pas trouvé d'autre solution que celle consistant à détruire ces fichiers, supprimer la sauvegarde interrompue, et la recréer, tout ceci en suspendant Acronis Non Stop Backup Service durant ces opérations. Cette solution ne me donnait pas satisfaction.

Aujourd'hui j'ai trouvé une autre solution qui fonctionne :

1./ arrêt de la sauvegarde interrompue.
2./ arrêt Acronis Non Stop Backup Service dans Outils d'Administration/Services.
3./ destruction des fichiers qui se sont créés dans windows\system32.
4./ examen [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\File CDP Service\Settings\Sessions\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B]

4-a./ contenu normal de cette clé :

"ProtectedPath"=hex(7):43,00,3a,00,00,00,45,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
"Excludes"=hex(7):2a,00,2e,00,7e,00,00,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,63,00,\
75,00,6d,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,73,00,20,00,61,00,6e,00,64,00,20,00,53,00,65,\
00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,67,00,75,00,69,00,6c,00,6c,00,\
6f,00,74,00,2e,00,42,00,34,00,5a,00,31,00,53,00,39,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,\
00,61,00,6c,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,\
54,00,65,00,6d,00,70,00,00,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,63,00,75,00,6d,\
00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,73,00,20,00,61,00,6e,00,64,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,\
74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,67,00,75,00,69,00,6c,00,6c,00,6f,00,74,\
00,2e,00,42,00,34,00,5a,00,31,00,53,00,39,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,61,00,\
6c,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,54,00,65,\
00,6d,00,70,00,6f,00,72,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,20,00,49,00,6e,00,74,00,65,00,\
72,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,20,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,00,00,43,00,3a,\
00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00,4f,00,57,00,53,00,5c,00,54,00,65,00,6d,00,\
70,00,00,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00,4f,00,57,00,53,00,5c,\
"TimeSlice"=dword:0000012c
"BaseArchiveCreated"=dword:00000001
"State"=dword:00000001
"StorageDeviceId"="STORAGE#VOLUME#1&30A96598&0&SIGNATUREE8900690OFFSET7E00LENGTHE8E0B30400#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}"
"BaseArchive"="L:\\Time Explorer Storage\\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B\\image.data"
"CdpArchive"="L:\\Time Explorer Storage\\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B\\cdp"

4-b./ contenu trouvé après incident :

"ProtectedPath"=hex(7):43,00,3a,00,00,00,45,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
"Excludes"=hex(7):2a,00,2e,00,7e,00,00,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,63,00,\
75,00,6d,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,73,00,20,00,61,00,6e,00,64,00,20,00,53,00,65,\
00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,67,00,75,00,69,00,6c,00,6c,00,\
6f,00,74,00,2e,00,42,00,34,00,5a,00,31,00,53,00,39,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,\
00,61,00,6c,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,\
54,00,65,00,6d,00,70,00,00,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,63,00,75,00,6d,\
00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,73,00,20,00,61,00,6e,00,64,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,\
74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,67,00,75,00,69,00,6c,00,6c,00,6f,00,74,\
00,2e,00,42,00,34,00,5a,00,31,00,53,00,39,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,61,00,\
6c,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,54,00,65,\
00,6d,00,70,00,6f,00,72,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,20,00,49,00,6e,00,74,00,65,00,\
72,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,20,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,00,00,43,00,3a,\
00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00,4f,00,57,00,53,00,5c,00,54,00,65,00,6d,00,\
70,00,00,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00,4f,00,57,00,53,00,5c,\
"TimeSlice"=dword:0000012c
"BaseArchiveCreated"=dword:00000001
"State"=dword:00000000
"StorageDeviceId"="STORAGE#VOLUME#1&30A96598&0&SIGNATUREE8900690OFFSET7E00LENGTHE8E0B30400#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}"
"BaseArchive"="L:\\Time Explorer Storage\\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B\\image.data"
"CdpArchive"="

5./ En conséquence, il m'a suffi de modifier :
"CdpArchive" en recopiant la valeur de "BaseArchive" et en remplaçant \\image.data par \\cdp

"State"=dword:00000000 par "State"=dword:00000001

6./ Réactiver "Démarrage automatique" d'Acronis Non Stop Backup Service dans Outils d'Administration/Services.

7./ Redémarrage de la sauvegarde interrompue.

Après deux heures de fonctionnement, les fichiers de données sont à nouveau créés dans L:\Time Explorer Storage\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B, comme auparavant, et non dans Windows\System32.

Ceci m'a permis de réparer sans détruire les archives précédentes.

ockerb
Beginner

I am running Vista Ultimate and nearly all the problems detailed above are happening to me as well.
My settings for Acronis True Image Home 2010 on a Vista OS is as follows:
I only use the non stop backup function and I only use it to protect my main drive ( C:\ ), no other drive is selected to be backed up.
I have an external drive which is strictly dedicated as my destination location for the non stop back up files.
Everything appears to function as expected but after a number of days (inconsistent, may be 5 up to 10 days) I see an explanation mark on my non stop back up icon near the clock. When I check this I find that my main drive is full and can take no more data. My first question to my self is what has my main drive got to do with my non stop back up files.
Further investigation revealed a massive amount of .data files in my c:\windows\system32 folder, these are all 1,048,576 KB in size. I understand that non stop back up has to make a full back up initially to to have a start point (I'm not sure where that back up is stored on my computer) but my main drive is 1.5TB in size with only 300MB of programs installed on it. So at the time of my last back up stoppage I had about 900 of these data files numbered from .data up to 945.data.
I, like many others have disabled the non stop back up function. I suppose due to there not being a fix for about nine months I too am looking for another back up program as well.

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

We're terribly sorry for the difficulties you've experienced.

Our developers are still working to fix the issue. Unfortunately, there is no ETA on the fix. Once there will be any updates on the status of the issue I'll definitely update this thread.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Tom Barkas
Beginner

After 9 months or more, there's more chance of pigs flying than this getting sorted out. Have Acronis no idea of the damage done to their reputation by (a) the incredible waste of time suffered by the purchasers of this upgrade, (b) the cost of buying an upgrade which has no benefits over the previous version, as it doesn't do what it is meant to do, and (c) Technical Support swearing blind in e-mails that no such problem can possibly exist when the problem has already been reported on these forums for ages?

Benedict Heal
Beginner

Surely if you can't stop the program creating junk files, you could at least make sure they don't get created in the system folder.

Hartmut König
Beginner

Could it be that there is a simple reason.
When a registry-cleaning program like CCCleaner or Wise registrycleaner or any other will delta this the following entry in the registy ?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome\FileDialog.FileSelector]
"X"="0"
"Height"="351"
"WorkDirectory"="G:\\"
"Shown"="1"
"Y"="0"

As it considers G:\\ as an removable drive ? Which in my case is indeed a USB hard Disk.

I don't want to test it as I am tired to clean registry and install Trueimage again and again but maybe that someone of Acronis could test it in the next nine month or before the first birthday of this thread

Hartmut

CHRISTIAN GUILLOT
Beginner

Hi Hartmut,

you won't repair anything with the key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome\FileDialog.FileSelector]

I succeeded with :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\File CDP Service\Settings\Sessions\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B]

where you must have :

"CdpArchive"="L:\\Time Explorer Storage\\CB40E5F7-C7E2-45CF-88B1-32371AA1527B\\cdp"
(L:\ being my external HDD where is the backup archive)
and :
"State"=dword:00000001

Since I check and eventually correct this key, I have no problems anymore.

Hans van der Poll
Beginner

Geoffrey Northey wrote:
I just experienced the same problem. Suddenly started getting "Disk space extremely low" messages for my 640 GB primary (C:) drive. When I reclaimed space by moving or deleting data or programs it disappeared again almost immediately. Initially, I thought that my C: drive might be failing so replaced it with a 1TB drive but found that disk space started disappearing in large amounts again.

I then worked my way through the C: folders, found that the Windows/System32 folder was using an abnormal amount of disk space, and then determined that the System 32 folder contained 640 Data Files, each 1GB in size. Couldn't determine where the data files originated so did a Google search and found Robert's comment above. I turned Acronis Non-stop Backup off, deleted the 640 data files manually and reclaimed all my lost disk space. Problem solved!

I have been using Acronis True Image for some years and have been very happy with it, especially with the Clone feature, which has helped me avoid disaster on more than one occasion. As a result, I upgraded to the latest version recently to take advantage of the Non-stop Backup feature. Given the aggravation and lost ime in dealing with this problem, this has been a most disappointing upgrade experience.

Non-stop Backup Storage: F: (A separate 750 GB drive is partitioned as two drives (E: - 250 GB, and F: - 500 GB).

[quote=Geoffrey Northey]I just experienced the same problem. Suddenly started getting "Disk space extremely low" messages for my 640 GB primary (C:) drive. When I reclaimed space by moving or deleting data or programs it disappeared again almost immediately. Initially, I thought that my C: drive might be failing so replaced it with a 1TB drive but found that disk space started disappearing in large amounts again.

Greatings from Holland,
So you notice that I am not native English. I have the same problems with non-stop back up. Wanted to protect; C=96 GB system and D=369 GB documents to extern J: 1.36 TB. After the proces C was complete full. C:\windows\system32\data all files of 1 TB. Called microsoft helpdesk and after that helpdesk Acronis. Download new software from acronis.com/sl/atzhiowewipbojsnxjqo/TrueImage2010.7046_s_nl.exe . After that the computer would not stop, so I diconnect non stop. So I wait to for a solution

Hans van der Poll
Beginner

Geoffrey Northey wrote:

[quote=Geoffrey Northey]I just experienced the same problem. Suddenly started getting "Disk space extremely low" messages for my 640 GB primary (C:) drive. When I reclaimed space by moving or deleting data or programs it disappeared again almost immediately. Initially, I thought that my C: drive might be failing so replaced it with a 1TB drive but found that disk space started disappearing in large amounts again.

Greatings from Holland,
So you notice that I am not native English. I have the same problems with non-stop back up. Wanted to protect; C=96 GB system and D=369 GB documents to extern J: 1.36 TB. After the proces C was complete full. C:\windows\system32\data all files of 1 TB. Called microsoft helpdesk and after that helpdesk Acronis. Download new software from acronis.com/sl/atzhiowewipbojsnxjqo/TrueImage2010.7046_s_nl.exe . After that the computer would not stop, so I diconnect non stop. So I wait to for a solution

Hartmut König
Beginner

In Germany Acronis now offers True Image Home 11.
I contacted Acronis by the contact possibility on their website, asking if the problem, described here is solved in the new release 11.
The reply is I should contact support, without giving a email address. On the support page I can have a look into faq, or this forum, and BUY!!! a support ticket, if I buy the new version.
I think Acronis don't want to give a real support, i.e. assistance to Customers who want to buy one of there products.
I don not need assistance because I am to stupid to install the programm etc. I want a information if a long exisating bus has been solved with the new version.
Hartmut

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

Hartmut, I personally have given up on this problem being solved. Version 11 came out here two years ago and if they haven't fixed the bugs in that version by now it's never going to happen. Acronis was a good company with a great product. Now they've created a maze of products, are still cranking out more and the product that's out there is loaded with bugs they aren't fixing. True Image Home 2010 was the last version I will be upgrading to. I started with version 6. They have wildly overextended beyond their capacity to support the products they have and are in the process of the old "crash and burn" where Customers have lost faith and are looking for alternatives. There are some out there but your going to pay more for them-- but they work and they have real support Save yourself some Euros and a massive headache and look around for something else. No doubt this post will be disappearing shortly.

Good luck to you.

Hartmut König
Beginner

Well, after some emails and the Chat with the support I received a reply:
"We are working with high pressure on this bug. It will be solved in the update which will be published in several month."
Hartmut

Benedict Heal
Beginner

Do you think this will be a free update, or will we still be expected to buy the new version, despite having suffered from the bugs for several years?

Hartmut König
Beginner

you really want my opinion ?
Since some times they are selling 2011. which according to the support has the same bug.
I don't think that there will be a update, resolving this bug.
Hartmut

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

If things go the way they have the last few years they will soon be coming out with True Image 2011 sometime in October and all previous versions will be forgotten. With the limited resources they have I believe they are trying to resolve the problems with their Enterprise versions of their products to make or keep the business Customers happy. I have news for them though, they achieved greatness on the back of their personal home edition of True Image and Disk Director, those products will also be the end of them if they do not get themselves redirected to serve the people and the products that put them where they were in the first place.

I have seen elsewhere a theory that Acronis went outside to programmers that do not necessarily understand their product the way their former people did when they were in-house. The timing and solutions of their problems certainly look like that, but nobody outside the company I suspect will ever know the true answer. It is a shame though, to watch a once great company with excellent service get greedy, take on too much too fast and fail the way so many others have in the past. Maybe the new CEO they put on board a year or so ago? My suspicions are there.

Gary Mickelson
Forum Member

As predicted, True Image Home 2011 has just been released and no doubt the version 10 and it's issues will be left on the vine to die a natural death as all the other issues in the last versions have been. This relates to all issues-- not just the more than a year old problem with 2010 creating massive data files in system32 folder, clogging up your PC. This is how Acronis has operated the last two to three years and they weren't exactly perfection before that. The last time anyone from Acronis stumbled into this forum page was July, three months ago and there is no solution nor any further attempts to communicate.

There you have it, what Acronis has become.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Some issues with NSB anf 2010 will be addressed in a final update for TI 2010. Whether this wil include the solution to the above problems I don't know.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever